C&F question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

C&F question

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:29 pm

I have a quick question about my C&F application.

When I was a freshman in college I received a MIP of alcohol citation while tailgating a football game. After completing a pre-trial diversion program (did a day of community service and paid a $200 fine), the conviction was dropped and the incident expunged from my record.

Now that I am applying for the bar, I'm wondering how much I need to provide. I know it's not a big deal so I'm fine with disclosing it, but I don't have any of the records or police reports (if those exist at all anymore), and I'd prefer to avoid going on that goose chase if it's not necessary.

Anyone have any experience with this?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Re: C&F question

Postby TheSpanishMain » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:55 pm

I'd disclose and try to get the police records. If they don't exist, just note on your C&F that you tried to get a hold of them and were told they no longer exist

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:07 pm

Practicing attorney here. I actually had basically the exact same situation. I was a freshman and got an MIP citation.

I also didn't really have any records for it since it was so long ago and minor. In fact, I forgot the exact dates. All I did was put the month, year and citation when I disclosed it to the bar. Like you, I was dreading tracking down this stuff. Fortunately, it was not an issue whatsoever. I would just do the same.

dudders

Bronze

Postby dudders » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:08 pm

It depends on which state you're applying to, but this is probably something that would have to be disclosed. Look at your state's application and see what it and its instructions say. (This is the best answer to basically any C&F app question ... read the instructions. Follow the instructions.)

If you have to request records might as well get started.

My state 1) this would have to be disclosed, and 2) you would have to submit supporting documentation (both any police reports and dismissal from the court).

Return to “Legal Employment�