Big law associate in SF -- where do you live with family?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bruinfan10

Silver

Re: Big law associate in SF -- where do you live with family?

Postby bruinfan10 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:07 pm

Abbie Doobie wrote:also, to me, i don't think that a 45 min-1hr commute by train is that bad because i just get work done on the train. driving, on the other hand, would be absolute pure hell.

Surely this "train" you "work on" isn't BART close to rush hour anywhere near Montgomery station? I would love an hour-long commute on a train with a schedule you could roughly predict, with seats you could get more than 15% of the time, with some ability to connect to the internet, and with a reasonably low probability that someone will pee on you or stick you with a needle. BART, unfortunately, can guarantee none of those things. And I basically lived on it for about a year. I will never forgive the Bay Area for that.

The funny thing fun is, BART is HEAVEN compared to the 101 and the 80 as they approach San Francisco. I used to think LA traffic was bad. But sweet baby jesus, I'll take the 405 over I-80 approaching the Bay Bridge 10x out of 10.

dabigchina

Silver

Postby dabigchina » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:56 pm

bruinfan10 wrote:
Abbie Doobie wrote:also, to me, i don't think that a 45 min-1hr commute by train is that bad because i just get work done on the train. driving, on the other hand, would be absolute pure hell.

Surely this "train" you "work on" isn't BART close to rush hour anywhere near Montgomery station? I would love an hour-long commute on a train with a schedule you could roughly predict, with seats you could get more than 15% of the time, with some ability to connect to the internet, and with a reasonably low probability that someone will pee on you or stick you with a needle. BART, unfortunately, can guarantee none of those things. And I basically lived on it for about a year. I will never forgive the Bay Area for that.

Come on man. The crazy homeless people and laughably inadequate infrastructure are parts of what makes the Bay Area so charming!

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:14 am

dabigchina wrote:
Abbie Doobie wrote:this thread just further solidifies my desire to never want to live in the bay area.

This is exactly what the housing policy in the Bay Area is designed to do. See: http://sf.curbed.com/2016/8/23/12603188 ... -interview

lol this is great. Sucks for poors. At least he's transparent.

dabigchina

Silver

Postby dabigchina » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:51 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
dabigchina wrote:
Abbie Doobie wrote:this thread just further solidifies my desire to never want to live in the bay area.

This is exactly what the housing policy in the Bay Area is designed to do. See: http://sf.curbed.com/2016/8/23/12603188 ... -interview

lol this is great. Sucks for poors. At least he's transparent.

Poors don't vote. Too busy commuting 2.5 hrs a day.

Return to “Legal Employment�