NYC Associates -- Living on Long Island?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NYC Associates -- Living on Long Island?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:15 pm

Hi All,

Starting BigLaw this fall with NO debt (sorry everyone). Is it an option to commute from Long Island into NYC (midtown east)? I was thinking of living right next to the Mineola Train Station and just walking to the train every morning. I figure I will take a car home most nights. I would appreciate any insight into whether this hypothetical is remotely plausible given the hours I expect to be working this fall.

Thanks,

3LOLOL

RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: NYC Associates -- Living on Long Island?

Postby RaceJudicata » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:20 pm

That's a hike. Do you have a family? Or just hate Manhattan?

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:26 pm

That sounds like hell. If you want to live in the burbs and aren't wedded to LI, you're better off in Westchester. At least you can probably walk to your office from Grand Central.

3lolol

New

Postby 3lolol » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:32 pm

Don't hate Manhattan...would be doing the hellacious commute for the appeasement of the long time girlfriend...maybe that's a problem right there...?

daedalus2309

Bronze

Postby daedalus2309 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:13 am

I think for a normal job this would be just fine. Mineola's actually an ok suburb and the train ride is what? 40 minutes? Assuming you're not going far from Penn after that that's not bad at all. I've done a similar commute from Long Island to FiDi before and it kind of sucked but you get used to it.

It might be way worse with big law hours so take that with a grain of salt.

Return to “Legal Employment�