Fulfillment: Senior MBB Consultant vs Senior Big Law Transactional Lawyer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Fulfillment: Senior MBB Consultant vs Senior Big Law Transactional Lawyer

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:05 pm

Though I wouldn't think there would be many who experienced both sides personally, I'm curious to know how the two positions compare from the standpoint of sense of reward /challenges derived from each of its work. I'm a midlevel associate at biglaw doing finance. So far from my short research and experience it seems like:

Senior Lawyer
+: you are solving a legal problem for the client; work is often repetitive therefore you get to pay more attention to details and nuances; you assess risk of a certain transaction, which is always an important data point for the biz side in making decision; prestige recognized by general public;

-: problem solving aspect is limited to execution of deal / documentation; what needs to be documented is largely already decided by biz ppl (lawyers only control how to document; sometime may control "what" but usually dictated by the term sheet); the risk analysis is usually one of many other important data points that goes into the calculus of deciding on a transaction; vulnerability of being replaced by AI (it's just demeaning); too much emphasis on precedent, therefore less room for creativity

Senior Consultant
+: you work on big picture matters and creativity is more often virtue than vice; no billable hours requirement which incentives efficiency; work cannot be easily automated; many time each case deals with totally different issues and/or field which forces you to be on steep learning curve all the time

-: what you produce many times don't get used by the client; often you are removed from the matter before you find out the outcome;

Of course this is a very subjective criteria, but thought there is a good chance to draw out a consensus given that most people on TLS seem to find similar tasks mundane (though I haven't really come across about work people find exciting). Let me know what your thoughts are, especially the consultant/ex-constulants
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

v5junior

Bronze

Re: Fulfillment: Senior MBB Consultant vs Senior Big Law Transactional Lawyer

Post by v5junior » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Let me know what you're thoughts are, especially the consultant/ex-constulants
your*

- Big Law Lawyer

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:32 pm

v5junior wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Let me know what you're thoughts are, especially the consultant/ex-constulants
your*

- Big Law Lawyer
Thx

lawlorbust

Bronze

Post by lawlorbust » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:52 pm

v5junior wrote:
your*

- Big Law Lawyer
That basically answers the question ...

v5junior

Bronze

Post by v5junior » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:54 pm

lawlorbust wrote:
v5junior wrote:
your*

- Big Law Lawyer
Explaining it kind of ruins it though...

lawlorbust

Bronze

Post by lawlorbust » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:57 pm

v5junior wrote:
lawlorbust wrote:
v5junior wrote:
your*

- Big Law Lawyer
Explaining it kind of ruins it though...
TBF some consultants I know do take up rigorous spellchecking as a hobby in their free time

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”