Firm Benefits

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 298115
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firm Benefits

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:30 am

Does anyone have updated info on Proskauer Rose?

Specifically re: bar stipends (ability for multiple bars at once?), interest free advances, 401k matching? Anything else would be interesting to hear too

Anonymous User
Posts: 298115
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firm Benefits

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 17, 2017 8:20 am

Anyone have info re: Kirkland Chi?

Anonymous User
Posts: 298115
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firm Benefits

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 17, 2017 4:15 pm

Kirkland NY

Bar stipend: $10K pre-tax, paid around June

Bar prep and cost, airfare and hotel (2 days) to location (if out of state): paid

Relocation: Has contract with relocation company that will take care of move, which includes airfare for you and family members to the new location, cost of packaging, insuring, and transporting the goods, and storage of up to 30 days

Health benefits: $119-297 (single medical - just participant's contribution), dental (about $20 for single) and vision (about $8 for single)

Gym: depends on the gym - you get a discounted rate or waived initiation fee but not a stipend

Meals: Up to $40 on weekdays for dinner. Weekend you get double (lunch and dinner) allowances.

Car service: after 8pm and/or before 7am (provided you met the hours requirement) for weekday. Weekend: anytime, from and to, provided you work min of 2hrs

Used to have your own offices - might change for incoming junior associates.

Phone/Laptop: Firm provided laptop and Iphone.

401k: n/a

Bonuses: market shattering supposedly

No vacation policy, but can't see anyone taking more than 6 weeks off a year

Other misc. benefits: Has a student loan refinancing program

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 17158
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Firm Benefits

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed May 17, 2017 4:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Car service: after 8pm and/or before 7am (provided you met the hours requirement) for weekday. Weekend: anytime, from and to, provided you work min of 2hrs

What's the hours requirement for weekdays?

Anonymous User
Posts: 298115
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firm Benefits

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 17, 2017 4:35 pm

does anyone have updated info on Ropes & Gray?

Anonymous User
Posts: 298115
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firm Benefits

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 17, 2017 4:39 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Car service: after 8pm and/or before 7am (provided you met the hours requirement) for weekday. Weekend: anytime, from and to, provided you work min of 2hrs

What's the hours requirement for weekdays?


For evening or morning transportation: 9 hours
For both: you have to arrive before 7am, leave after 8pm, and work at least 11 hours

User avatar
Tiago Splitter
Posts: 17158
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Firm Benefits

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed May 17, 2017 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Car service: after 8pm and/or before 7am (provided you met the hours requirement) for weekday. Weekend: anytime, from and to, provided you work min of 2hrs

What's the hours requirement for weekdays?


For evening or morning transportation: 9 hours
For both: you have to arrive before 7am, leave after 8pm, and work at least 11 hours

Damn that's brutal.

Anonymous User
Posts: 298115
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firm Benefits

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 17, 2017 8:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Kirkland NY

Bar stipend: $10K pre-tax, paid around June

Bar prep and cost, airfare and hotel (2 days) to location (if out of state): paid

Relocation: Has contract with relocation company that will take care of move, which includes airfare for you and family members to the new location, cost of packaging, insuring, and transporting the goods, and storage of up to 30 days

Health benefits: $119-297 (single medical - just participant's contribution), dental (about $20 for single) and vision (about $8 for single)

Gym: depends on the gym - you get a discounted rate or waived initiation fee but not a stipend

Meals: Up to $40 on weekdays for dinner. Weekend you get double (lunch and dinner) allowances.

Car service: after 8pm and/or before 7am (provided you met the hours requirement) for weekday. Weekend: anytime, from and to, provided you work min of 2hrs

Used to have your own offices - might change for incoming junior associates.

Phone/Laptop: Firm provided laptop and Iphone.

401k: n/a

Bonuses: market shattering supposedly

No vacation policy, but can't see anyone taking more than 6 weeks off a year

Other misc. benefits: Has a student loan refinancing program

This sounds amazing.

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 16880
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Firm Benefits

Postby sublime » Wed May 17, 2017 9:02 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Car service: after 8pm and/or before 7am (provided you met the hours requirement) for weekday. Weekend: anytime, from and to, provided you work min of 2hrs

What's the hours requirement for weekdays?


For evening or morning transportation: 9 hours
For both: you have to arrive before 7am, leave after 8pm, and work at least 11 hours

Damn that's brutal.


Yea, I'm really surprised ke has an hours requirement, especially one that steep.

ETA: I think I misread initially. You only need to hit 11 to get a ride there and back, right? Having any requirement at all is annoying though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 298115
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firm Benefits

Postby Anonymous User » Wed May 17, 2017 10:23 pm

Interested in Crowell & Moring

maroon175
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:46 pm

Re: Firm Benefits

Postby maroon175 » Thu May 18, 2017 4:41 am

sublime wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Car service: after 8pm and/or before 7am (provided you met the hours requirement) for weekday. Weekend: anytime, from and to, provided you work min of 2hrs

What's the hours requirement for weekdays?


For evening or morning transportation: 9 hours
For both: you have to arrive before 7am, leave after 8pm, and work at least 11 hours

Damn that's brutal.


Yea, I'm really surprised ke has an hours requirement, especially one that steep.

ETA: I think I misread initially. You only need to hit 11 to get a ride there and back, right? Having any requirement at all is annoying though.


Most firms don't have this hours requirement, at least not formally.. I wonder if it's actually strictly enforced..? seems like it wouldnt really be, unless each attorney has a supervisor that looks at their hours billed each day to see if they met the minimum on the days they called car service.

Anonymous User
Posts: 298115
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firm Benefits

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 18, 2017 10:36 am

maroon175 wrote:
sublime wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Car service: after 8pm and/or before 7am (provided you met the hours requirement) for weekday. Weekend: anytime, from and to, provided you work min of 2hrs

What's the hours requirement for weekdays?


For evening or morning transportation: 9 hours
For both: you have to arrive before 7am, leave after 8pm, and work at least 11 hours

Damn that's brutal.


Yea, I'm really surprised ke has an hours requirement, especially one that steep.

ETA: I think I misread initially. You only need to hit 11 to get a ride there and back, right? Having any requirement at all is annoying though.


Most firms don't have this hours requirement, at least not formally.. I wonder if it's actually strictly enforced..? seems like it wouldnt really be, unless each attorney has a supervisor that looks at their hours billed each day to see if they met the minimum on the days they called car service.


Original KE poster. Hours requirement is not strictly enforced at all.

Anonymous User
Posts: 298115
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firm Benefits

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 25, 2017 9:23 am

alston & bird?

Anonymous User
Posts: 298115
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firm Benefits

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 25, 2017 4:23 pm

Anyone have info on Ropes NYC?

Anonymous User
Posts: 298115
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firm Benefits

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:alston & bird?


bump. Alston & Bird anyone?

User avatar
Pokemon
Posts: 3370
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: Firm Benefits

Postby Pokemon » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:alston & bird?


bump. Alston & Bird anyone?



I do not think they offer any benefits.

Anonymous User
Posts: 298115
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firm Benefits

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:01 pm

Info on Reed Smith. The more data the better! Thanks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 298115
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firm Benefits

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:45 pm

Anything on white & case?

Anonymous User
Posts: 298115
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firm Benefits

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:13 pm

Anyone have detailed information on Skadden?

Anonymous User
Posts: 298115
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firm Benefits

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:57 am

Anyone have anything on Baker Hostetler? Particularly about broker's fees and gym? I know they pay moving, which is taxable, but I'd also like an explanation of what that means. I've never been good at understanding taxes. Does that mean I have to report something or something is taken out of my paycheck as people seem to be indicating?

Anonymous User
Posts: 298115
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firm Benefits

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have detailed information on Skadden?


Sadden gives you a 15,000 advance (which is taxed a lot which sucks). 5,000 in March, 10,000 in summer. Your first year salary is actually 165,000 as you pay the 15,000 back in installments. Pay for bar course plus something like Critical Pass and hotel and most of the MPRE and other Bar registration fees.

There's some housing stuff, I think they might pay for broker fees if you use their people. Plus reimbursement of moving costs up to a point.

They will pay for a laptop/printer within 3 months of start date and a phone once you are there.

I'm about to start as a first year, but the insurance/401k seem to be pretty much Biglaw NYC market (which is not generous compared to other industries, i.e. no matching contribution, etc.)

*Typo for "Sadden" which my phone auto corrects Skadden to, which is funny and ominous so I'm gonna leave it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 298115
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firm Benefits

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:48 pm

Any info on Gibson Dunn LA?

Anonymous User
Posts: 298115
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firm Benefits

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have detailed information on Skadden?


Sadden gives you a 15,000 advance (which is taxed a lot which sucks). 5,000 in March, 10,000 in summer. Your first year salary is actually 165,000 as you pay the 15,000 back in installments. Pay for bar course plus something like Critical Pass and hotel and most of the MPRE and other Bar registration fees.

There's some housing stuff, I think they might pay for broker fees if you use their people. Plus reimbursement of moving costs up to a point.

They will pay for a laptop/printer within 3 months of start date and a phone once you are there.

I'm about to start as a first year, but the insurance/401k seem to be pretty much Biglaw NYC market (which is not generous compared to other industries, i.e. no matching contribution, etc.)

*Typo for "Sadden" which my phone auto corrects Skadden to, which is funny and ominous so I'm gonna leave it.


Is there anyway I can PM you? I would love more details on the 401K/health insurance benefits. Ive heard at some firms it will cost around 10k out of pocket while at others its essentially free. That's a BIG difference, especially considering its 10k post taxes.

Also, does the 15k Skadden (or Sadden) advance include the bar, MPRE, etc. fees? or do they simply pay for that separately?

Anonymous User
Posts: 298115
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firm Benefits

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any info on Gibson Dunn LA?


X2

Anonymous User
Posts: 298115
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Firm Benefits

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any info on Gibson Dunn LA?


X2


X3 - especially curious about the salary advance/loan structure and process.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.