Firm Benefits Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Firm Benefits

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any info on Gibson Dunn LA?
X2
X3 - especially curious about the salary advance/loan structure and process.
X4 - info on Gibson LA would be great!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
X2
x5 or info on any other GDC office at this point

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
X2
x6

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:44 am

anyone have any info at all on Proskauer?

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
X2
x6
keep up the good fight folks, maybe you'll wear down all those gibson dunn associates who wouldn't divulge the info on the first, second or even third request but by god you'll make it happen

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:48 am

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
X2
x6
keep up the good fight folks, maybe you'll wear down all those gibson dunn associates who wouldn't divulge the info on the first, second or even third request but by god you'll make it happen
What a useless and inefficient post...didn't they teach you to write with a purpose in law school? F-

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:47 am

What I know to look for now:
Paid family leave. And how many of each gender use it. Is it just for married heterosexual couples (if that's an issue for you).

Vacation but also how many use it.

Ability to work remotely.

Paid work phone (hey, $100 - month is $100 a month!)

Health benefits that include dental and vision or are they separate and expensive. Not having dental has been awful for me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:What I know to look for now:
Paid family leave. And how many of each gender use it. Is it just for married heterosexual couples (if that's an issue for you).
Isn't maternity and paternity leave gauranteed by the law?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
No, not paid leave.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Branch

New

Post by Branch » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:20 am

RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
No, not paid leave.
And even then, it depends on employer size.
Most women in the US are not covered by FMLA based on hours worked in a year and size of employer. It's also not FAMILY leave. Being able to take family leave to care for a sick spouse or parent is just as important in life. In addition to the issue of same sex couples, single parents by choice, ect.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:30 am

RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
No, not paid leave.
Doesn't matter either way. You billable requirement isn't going to change, which is the only thing the firm gives a shit about. So fine, take a month off. You're just going to need to make up the 180 hours over the rest of the year.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:37 am

Branch wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
No, not paid leave.
And even then, it depends on employer size.
Most women in the US are not covered by FMLA based on hours worked in a year and size of employer. It's also not FAMILY leave. Being able to take family leave to care for a sick spouse or parent is just as important in life. In addition to the issue of same sex couples, single parents by choice, ect.
Yep - I think employer needs ~50 employees to even qualify + the hourly work requirements/year of service or whatever.

Branch

New

Post by Branch » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:44 am

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
Doesn't matter either way. You billable requirement isn't going to change, which is the only thing the firm gives a shit about. So fine, take a month off. You're just going to need to make up the 180 hours over the rest of the year.
HAH at a month off after birth.

And yes, 50 employees and it's full time for a year, basically, then you qualify for unpaid leave.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:49 am

Branch wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:
I came back to the office after a week and a half of paternity leave and they told me to go home for another week. My wife took 10 weeks, but she's not a lawyer.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Branch

New

Post by Branch » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:02 am

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
Branch wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:
I came back to the office after a week and a half of paternity leave and they told me to go home for another week. My wife took 10 weeks, but she's not a lawyer.
so then women shouldn't be lawyers if they want/can have kids? shocker.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:05 am

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
No, not paid leave.
This... isn't actually true. My firm prorates the time you miss for paternity/maternity (as well as bereavement). Your bonus will be prorated by that amount of time (which *kinda* sucks), but say you miss 10% of the year on leave, but hit within 10% of the billable requirement. You'll still receive 90% of your bonus. (Maybe 1/3rd is the better metric because I think maternity leave is 18 weeks? So you'd still get 2/3rds bonus).

Branch

New

Post by Branch » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote: Doesn't matter either way. You billable requirement isn't going to change, which is the only thing the firm gives a shit about. So fine, take a month off. You're just going to need to make up the 180 hours over the rest of the year.
This... isn't actually true. My firm prorates the time you miss for paternity/maternity (as well as bereavement). Your bonus will be prorated by that amount of time (which *kinda* sucks), but say you miss 10% of the year on leave, but hit within 10% of the billable requirement. You'll still receive 90% of your bonus. (Maybe 1/3rd is the better metric because I think maternity leave is 18 weeks? So you'd still get 2/3rds bonus).
which is significantly better than 1) unpaid 2) outsourcing a time that you can't get back.

Thanks for the info - helpful.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Barrred

Bronze

Post by Barrred » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:10 am

Branch wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:
Branch wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:
Did you really just invite the feminist attack dogs to turn this informational thread about firm benefits into a debate about gender roles and sexism? Can we all just pretend that Branch didnt make this stupid comment and keep the thread as is? This is why we cant have nice things...

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:25 am

Branch wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:
Branch wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:
Where in the hell is this coming from? I just wanted to clarify that this 10 week anecdote wasn't relevant to firms, because she doesn't work for one. I have no idea what typical maternity leave looks like at a law firm.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:28 am

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
Branch wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:
Branch wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:
Where in the hell is this coming from? I just wanted to clarify that this 10 week anecdote wasn't relevant to firms, because she doesn't work for one. I have no idea what typical maternity leave looks like at a law firm.
Just to give some clarity - Big firm in DC. My firm gives 6 weeks for paternity/18 weeks for maternity. And they actually respect that time. I've had other attorneys on projects go on leave - and we consider them off the grid for that period of time. I'm getting ready to go on paternity leave in a couple of months and I will be shutting off my email alerts for that period of time.

I'm the guy with the "prorated" bonuses above.

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:24 pm

yeah but how do the feminist attack dogs feel about your firm probably pretty bad amiright Barred

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Barrred

Bronze

Post by Barrred » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:06 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:yeah but how do the feminist attack dogs feel about your firm probably pretty bad amiright Barred
Nah bro, my firm is always like top-10 in Vault's prestigious Feminist-Attack-Dog Diversity Rankings.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:13 am

We wouldn't need feminist attack dogs if people didn't say stupid shit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
X2
x6
Received an offer from GDC DC for post-clerk. Here's what they told me. Didn't end up accepting, so have no additional info.

Health Insurance: Medical, dental, and vision, and vision is free for self-only if you also have medical. Also FSA accounts available.

Life Insurance: Firm pays for basic life, accidental, and long term disability. Employee pays for additional coverage and any short term disability

Other: Standard 50/70 for clerkships; 5k advance on bonus; moving/transportation expenses paid for; annual $1k for client dev and a book allowance

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:20 pm

Any info on Paul, Weiss?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”