Which internship is better for Biglaw

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Which internship is better for Biglaw

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:24 pm

A little background: I'm a 2L at T14, median, didn't get BL through OCI. This semester I'm working as an intern at one of SEC/FINRA doing securities related work. I'm interested in corporate, not litigation. I'm originally from the west coast, where my family currently reside.

For the summer I have a couple of options. I can go back to the west coast to work as a law clerk for a small securities lit firm (less than 20 attorneys, not prestigious) that pays like $12 an hour, or I can stay here and return to intern at the government org. that I'm currently at (school will hook-up some $$).

My question is which would be better for 3L OCI/MM campaign (I know it's a crapshoot)? Is it better to add some more law firm experience to my resume or do BL firms value the BigFed experience more? Thanks.

Tiny Rick!

Bronze

Re: Which internship is better for Biglaw

Postby Tiny Rick! » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:15 am

Experience doesn't matter without the proper pedigree. Neither will likely get you to biglaw but the firm might be maringally better.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:08 am

Does the firm give you any shot at post-grad employment? If so, definitely take that. Big law probably sailed, best try and capitalize on options that are right in front of you.

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:11 pm

Yeah I think you need to focus on not big law options now. Assuming you won't get big law, what's your second preferred career choice? Start positioning yourself to do that.

jarofsoup

Gold

Postby jarofsoup » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:31 pm

Try to do SEC Corp Fin. with an operations group where you can learn about how to fill out certain forms and review documents.

Finra is more focused on broker dealer work which is a lot more limiting.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:05 pm

I dont know why ppl are saying biglaw has sailed or isnt possible for OP. Median at T14 focused in corporate can definitely snag a 3L offer if corporate hiring is as hot this summer as it was previously, so long as OP keeps his or her grades up and works on his or her interviewing.

Which job you take for the summer probably doesn't matter much, although I might caution away from the small firm if it's only lit

Npret

Gold

Postby Npret » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:52 pm

jbagelboy wrote:I dont know why ppl are saying biglaw has sailed or isnt possible for OP. Median at T14 focused in corporate can definitely snag a 3L offer if corporate hiring is as hot this summer as it was previously, so long as OP keeps his or her grades up and works on his or her interviewing.

Which job you take for the summer probably doesn't matter much, although I might caution away from the small firm if it's only lit

How was 3L OCI? For a few years there it didn't exist as a meaningful way to biglaw employment. Maybe OP should be mass mailing mid summer? Did you mass mail last year OP?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:20 pm

jbagelboy wrote:I dont know why ppl are saying biglaw has sailed or isnt possible for OP. Median at T14 focused in corporate can definitely snag a 3L offer if corporate hiring is as hot this summer as it was previously, so long as OP keeps his or her grades up and works on his or her interviewing.

Honestly, it depends on what T14? Median at Harvard/Yale/Stanford? Definitely. Median at Northwestern/Cornell? Sure. Median at Michigan/Berkeley? Eh. Median at Georgetown? Good luck.

It would be much more useful if we knew where OP went to school.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:28 pm

The only people I know that landed something during 3L OCI were switching from one firm to another.

Return to “Legal Employment�