Help Needed: BigLaw Interview Attire

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Help Needed: BigLaw Interview Attire

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:51 am

Hi all, I have an interview for a dream job with a big law firm. However, I have one little problem: I'm female, and I look very young. It's a combination of my face and my short stature. To complicate things, I'm interviewing for a litigation position.

Can you give me some tips on how I might overcome this? A thought I had was to wear a gray suit rather than a black or navy one - for whatever reason, I feel even smaller in a black or navy suit, like I'm a kid in a uniform or something.

I'd appreciate any and all advice!

RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: Help Needed: BigLaw Interview Attire

Postby RaceJudicata » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:47 am

Others will be able to give you better -- more female focused -- advice. That said, your attire will not matter any more or less because its a litigation interview.

Civilservant

New

Postby Civilservant » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:56 am

I know their is a super specific thread about what to wear, imo it has more to do with your confidence. Sure, it goes without saying that you should have something that is tailored right, but I don't think the color of your suit has an effect on the decision. Confidence and demeanor go a lot further than anything else.

stewie27

Bronze

Postby stewie27 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:19 am

Woman who also looks very young here. I agree with the comment below that confidence/demeanor is probably most important. But there are probably some things you can do that might make you look a little older (or at least placebo effect/make you think you do)- which will boost your confidence. If you think gray helps, go for it. You can also try different things with your hair/accessories. For example, I think I look younger when I wear contacts, so I'd wear my glasses to an interview. I also think I look younger with my hair up, so I'd wear it down- things like that. You mentioned your small stature too, so I also second the comment below about getting something that fits right/is tailored (you look younger if you're swimming in your suit jacket). Depending on market/other factors, you might also consider if a pant suit fits you better than a skirt. Ultimately, try not to worry too much about it- youthful looks don't affect your ability to litigate and kick ass! Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:30 am

RaceJudicata wrote:Others will be able to give you better -- more female focused -- advice. That said, your attire will not matter any more or less because its a litigation interview.

Ok, thanks for the input. The only reason why I thought it mattered was because it seems that litigation attorneys - partners in particular - tend to be of the alpha male sort. It's hard not to wonder if they think they're looking down on (literally) a little girl/woman when they talk to me. But perhaps that feeling is impacting my confidence/demeanor.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:34 am

stewie27 wrote:Woman who also looks very young here. I agree with the comment below that confidence/demeanor is probably most important. But there are probably some things you can do that might make you look a little older (or at least placebo effect/make you think you do)- which will boost your confidence. If you think gray helps, go for it. You can also try different things with your hair/accessories. For example, I think I look younger when I wear contacts, so I'd wear my glasses to an interview. I also think I look younger with my hair up, so I'd wear it down- things like that. You mentioned your small stature too, so I also second the comment below about getting something that fits right/is tailored (you look younger if you're swimming in your suit jacket). Depending on market/other factors, you might also consider if a pant suit fits you better than a skirt. Ultimately, try not to worry too much about it- youthful looks don't affect your ability to litigate and kick ass! Good luck!

Excellent points - a lot of traditional advice for how to dress for these BigLaw interviews don't apply to us. For example, pinning your hair back into a bun just makes some of us like myself look younger! And a bob looks strange with my face shape, so that doesn't work, either.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:49 pm

I don't know that there is much beyond the obvious - high heels that are not too high (3" maybe?), and I think some conservative makeup and studs can age you up a little. Try a (neutral) matte lipstick. But mostly, don't let it psych you out - there are a lot of young and young looking folks at law firms, so it may not jump out at other people the way it does to you.

hopefuljumbo23

Bronze

Postby hopefuljumbo23 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:57 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:I don't know that there is much beyond the obvious - high heels that are not too high (3" maybe?), and I think some conservative makeup and studs can age you up a little. Try a (neutral) matte lipstick. But mostly, don't let it psych you out - there are a lot of young and young looking folks at law firms, so it may not jump out at other people the way it does to you.

I agree with this. I had an interview at a big law firm and was shocked by the number of really, really young looking people that I saw.

I was a teacher before going to law school, and I thought looking young (I'm petite and have a young face too) would hurt me in my interviews at schools. Turns out, it didn't affect me a bit.

pml87

New

Postby pml87 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:18 pm

Relax. It's not like you are interviewing for a DA (now those people are freakingly and consistently tall :shock: )

Joking aside. Big law litigation isn't about appearing in court for junior associate. So I am not sure if it matters to interviewers.

Return to “Legal Employment�