Biglaw is dying Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Platinum

Re: Biglaw is dying

Post by 2014 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:09 pm

Totally agreed, i think the hiring model has to shift to focus more on people who either demonstrate potential to do midlevel work earlier (maybe employing a consulting like substantive interview approach) or people who seem able to handle all of the tertiary bullshit that comes with the job (idk how you best proxy for this but you can start by not recruiting at Yale). Probably need to get away from 100% offers too if first [and second years] truly become loss leaders (which they really aren't now - the trope about time getting written off is way overblown in my experience).

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:15 pm

2014 wrote:Totally agreed, i think the hiring model has to shift to focus more on people who either demonstrate potential to do midlevel work earlier (maybe employing a consulting like substantive interview approach) or people who seem able to handle all of the tertiary bullshit that comes with the job (idk how you best proxy for this but you can start by not recruiting at Yale). Probably need to get away from 100% offers too if first [and second years] truly become loss leaders (which they really aren't now - the trope about time getting written off is way overblown in my experience).
Biglaw doesn't shift quickly. I know this is speculative discussion but I think the preference is always going to be for strivers who have done well, seek prestige and money and are willing to sacrifice personal life for these goals.

Though maybe those fit interviews you are mentioning will just highlight those people anyway.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:04 pm

2014 wrote:(idk how you best proxy for this but you can start by not recruiting at Yale).
lol, Yalies already aren't going to biglaw.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:35 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
2014 wrote:(idk how you best proxy for this but you can start by not recruiting at Yale).
Egregious lies. I know of SEVERAL Yalies who did a year or two after clerking before going into academia so they could confidently claim they know the legal market and exactly how their "Law and East Asian Traditional Medicine" class will be practical for their students.

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:44 pm

1) Another reason why I'm going into the government
2) Criminal law will be safe probably forever, constitutional right to counsel isn't going to be satisfied by computers.
3) If we could automate away secretaries and paralegals that would be a huge gain for all involved
4) UBI Thread
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:46 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Egregious lies. I know of SEVERAL Yalies who did a year or two after clerking before going into academia so they could confidently claim they know the legal market and exactly how their "Law and East Asian Traditional Medicine" class will be practical for their students.
Wanting to be a tenured law prof makes you per se doo doo brain. If I had the intelligence and work ethic to get into and succeed at YLS I hope to god I'd try to move the needle on the world and not throw my dick into the 15th-centry-rule-against-perpuities-circle-jerk or wtf ever constitutes legal scholarship.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:16 pm

FSK wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Wanting to be a tenured law prof makes you per se doo doo brain. If I had the intelligence and work ethic to get into and succeed at YLS I hope to god I'd try to move the needle on the world and not throw my dick into the 15th-centry-rule-against-perpuities-circle-jerk or wtf ever constitutes legal scholarship.
Kind of a weird stance given your voting history.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:37 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
there are plenty

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:42 pm

A lot of junior work could be done by secretaries or paralegals, but firms choose not too, and some even bill out for summer work. There are a number of firms that aren't really feeling real fee pressure given how they bill out.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FSK

Platinum

Post by FSK » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:56 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
FSK wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Kind of a weird stance given your voting history.
Hating law profs is bipartisan.
Last edited by FSK on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:08 am

I know a Yale grad in my starting class who came to my firm directly after graduation without even clerking. What a fucking idiot

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:14 am

jbagelboy wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
there are plenty
Okay, let me precisely state the point behind my one-off - fewer Yalies go to biglaw than grads from other top schools.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:25 am

Capitol_Idea wrote:
wiseowl wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:
Easterbork wrote:I don't know what "firm" you work for, but wake me up when computers are writing briefs that have the passion that makes one exceptional. I am not a scribe. Even a deal lawyer can't be truly great unless he or she understands the hopes, fears, aspirations, etc. of the players.
I love this shtick

Please post more
It's almost as good as "LOOK AT THE TRENDS DOC REVIEW WILL BE AUTOMATED MOMENTARILY!!!"

Let me know the first client that permits doc review for any meaningful case to be automated and let me know the first judge that doesn't rain sanctions all over the first party that says "well your honor yea we should have produced that but Watson said it wasn't responsive."
Uh literally this weekend I'm setting up predictive coding instead of a responsiveness review for an entire HSR Second Request. No review team, no contractors, 1-2 days of training the system and a max of 5K docs reviewed instead of 100K. Yeah lit is slower on adoption but sucks to suck I guess
lol Capitol I know you got your sky is falling shtick but slow down chief. Back when you had to do manual redlines, like literally a first year redlining every document by hand, biglaw hired 3000 people a year. Now it's 7000.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

greatspirit

Bronze

Post by greatspirit » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:36 am

So...is biglaw dying?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:58 am

greatspirit wrote:So...is biglaw dying?
just don't go.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:08 am

Everything is fine! There will be jobs forever, more jobs than you can believe.

Pay no attention to Howrey, Dewey, Thelen, Bingham, Heller Ehrman, Thacher Profit, Dreier, etc.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:12 am

Johann thread.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:21 am

Capitol_Idea wrote:

Pay no attention to Howrey, Dewey, Thelen, Bingham, Heller Ehrman, Thacher Profit, Dreier, etc.
lol...6 out of hundreds!!! Also...Dreier?...wtf? Also...automated redlines?

SemiReverseSplinter

New

Post by SemiReverseSplinter » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:36 am

As long as humans make and interpret the law, humans will be needed to argue the law.

Also, if you want to own a mansion, sell something that rich people want; if you want to own a castle, sell something that poor people need.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:04 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:

lol...6 out of hundreds!!! Also...Dreier?...wtf? Also...automated redlines?
OK fine here's the attention you want Tiago.

1. Read the Citi Hildebrandt Law Firm Advisory - they're the fucking sugar coating Biglaw cheerleaders and even they say we're in for, best case, "modest growth in a fragile and unpredictable legal economy"

2. Georgetown State of the Legal Market does some good analysis on claiming industry revenue - the sum total of firms aren't making more money

3. 37 very large law firms have failed in the past 29 years. How many new firms popped up in that time to take their place of the same robustness and size?

4. You need to include law firm mergers into the mix. 2014 was a record year for law firm mergers (which result, by the way, in "efficiencies" which mean fewer jobs). 2015 was another record. So was 2016! Altman Weil Mergerline has the data on this. Off the top of my head, A&P Kaye Schiler, Dickstein Shapiro, Squire Patton are mergers that are going to mean net fewer jobs post merger, not more.

5. Finally, and the point where Tiago is being the particular dummy, is putting the "doomsday" words into my mouth. Reread my shit upthread. It's extremely reasonable to predict a contraction in the market. If you are seriously advocating that that is crazy and that Biglaw is just going gangbusters forever, then I just don't know what to tell you dude. You just keep that sweet beautiful outlook alive friend and cherish it.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:12 am

It's fine to predict a contraction in the market. It's stupid to say biglaw is dying unless you can rationalize the massive increase in employment large law firms have enjoyed in the last couple of decades. I'm not saying biglaw is going gangbusters forever but you're ignoring a huge amount of data.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:12 am

Dewey was straight up cooking the books. It looked a kickass normal V100 firm from the outside but it was shady as hell. They were less of a problem of the failing biglaw model and more just what happens when shady people run a law firm.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:16 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:It's fine to predict a contraction in the market. It's stupid to say biglaw is dying unless you can rationalize the massive increase in employment large law firms have enjoyed in the last couple of decades. I'm not saying biglaw is going gangbusters forever but you're ignoring a huge amount of data.
Point me to where I said Biglaw is dying and also point me to this data pls.

Like I literally went through 10 years of AmLaw revenues for the top 200 on a lark last year. If there's some magical source you can point to I'm all ears.

And if it's PPP or SA hiring classes I swear to God I will shoot myself in the head before engaging any further

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:22 am

Capitol_Idea wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:It's fine to predict a contraction in the market. It's stupid to say biglaw is dying unless you can rationalize the massive increase in employment large law firms have enjoyed in the last couple of decades. I'm not saying biglaw is going gangbusters forever but you're ignoring a huge amount of data.
Point me to where I said Biglaw is dying and also point me to this data pls.

Like I literally went through 10 years of AmLaw revenues for the top 200 on a lark last year. If there's some magical source you can point to I'm all ears.

And if it's PPP or SA hiring classes I swear to God I will shoot myself in the head before engaging any further
Point you to what?!?! You just called me out for putting "doomsday" words into your mouth when at no point did I put any words like that into your mouth. Weird projecting.

Anywayz I told you biglaw automated major shit years ago. And then hired tons more people (uh oh - I might have violated your no killself rule - my condolences to your family). So clearly the real biglaw firms have figured something out.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:27 am

If there's more shit going on, there will probably be more companies that need to buy each other and companies that need to sue each other. Even if the growth is wayyyy smaller than the growth in the overall economy because lol at paying a bunch of lawyers there's still a decent shot at overall growth since you need lawyers for that stuff.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”