Biglaw is dying Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Johann

Diamond

Biglaw is dying

Post by Johann » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:39 pm

http://www.abajournal.com/news/article/ ... omate_mund

just another friendly reminder to learn tech. The question is not if biglaw will die but when. The need to overleversged ratio of associates to partners will be done soon.

zot1

Gold

Re: Biglaw is dying

Post by zot1 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:40 pm

No need to worry. Trump will bring those jobs back.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:54 pm

People have been saying this for years... decades?

It will remain a viable entry level job to make some money and learn some skills. Anyone planning to make a career out of it, obviously, needs to get their head checked.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:56 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:People have been saying this for years... decades?

It will remain a viable entry level job to make some money and learn some skills. Anyone planning to make a career out of it, obviously, needs to get their head checked.
what skills?

MrT

Bronze

Post by MrT » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:59 pm

The United States is also going to adopt the metric system.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/could-th ... ic-system/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:59 pm

Disagree with viable entry level job. That's exactly who this tech is targeting. 5 years from now could easily see a huge reduction of the numbers of entry level biglaw jobs from today.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:07 pm

MrT wrote:The United States is also going to adopt the metric system.

If the point of this is that's is speculative, the whole point of my post is it's no longer speculative. Seyfarth Shaw is regarded as the most innovative big law firm in the industry. Also coincidentally seyfarth fired a large chunk of first year class in 2016.

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:13 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:
MrT wrote:The United States is also going to adopt the metric system.

If the point of this is that's is speculative, the whole point of my post is it's no longer speculative. Seyfarth Shaw is regarded as the most innovative big law firm in the industry. Also coincidentally seyfarth fired a large chunk of first year class in 2016.
lmao

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:15 pm

(waits for JAW DROPPING FT link)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:17 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:Disagree with viable entry level job. That's exactly who this tech is targeting. 5 years from now could easily see a huge reduction of the numbers of entry level biglaw jobs from today.
The one example cited in the report is like, processing engagement letters. That is a far cry from automating even the most tedious junior associate work.

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:18 pm

Biglaw should die but won't bc the people who are willing to pay biglaw fees are already paying to have nerds boil the ocean unnecessarily.

I am certain you could automate the entirety of legal research and do much of the same for doc review and privilege review.

We're just too far from trusting that stuff entirely. So, instead of being efficient, we spend $400/hr+ to have some nerd confirm what we already know.

Definitely scary for folks who are maybe just thinking about law school now, but not scary for anyone in law school right now.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

what skills?
I mean that's cute and biglaw sucks and all but you can't do something for 3 years without learning how to do it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:43 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

what skills?
I mean that's cute and biglaw sucks and all but you can't do something for 3 years without learning how to do it.
problem is that it's definitely not a skillset that could be transferred or even slightly valued at any place outside biglaw/legal inhouse that would pay anywhere close to biglaw salary

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:47 pm

smaug wrote:Biglaw should die but won't bc the people who are willing to pay biglaw fees are already paying to have nerds boil the ocean unnecessarily.

I am certain you could automate the entirety of legal research and do much of the same for doc review and privilege review.

We're just too far from trusting that stuff entirely. So, instead of being efficient, we spend $400/hr+ to have some nerd confirm what we already know.

Definitely scary for folks who are maybe just thinking about law school now, but not scary for anyone in law school right now.
Exactly this.

I'm still fighting with partners and clients to use 6 year old predictive coding tech. We're a solid decade from ~major disruption~ in other areas

Growth in BigLaw is over though barring some radical change. AmLaw 200 net revenue has pretty much flatlined.

laqueredup

Bronze

Post by laqueredup » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:58 pm

Last edited by laqueredup on Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:50 pm

This is great news for everyone that isn't a lawyer. Anything that drives the cost of legal services down is a win for the economy.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:06 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Person1111

Bronze

Post by Person1111 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

what skills?
problem is that it's definitely not a skillset that could be transferred or even slightly valued at any place outside biglaw/legal inhouse that would pay anywhere close to biglaw salary
Probably true in transactional, not true in litigation.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:17 pm

No way is ai or machine learning good enough to replace actual legal work.

Legal work will be some of the last work to disappear.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:20 pm

Desert Fox wrote:No way is ai or machine learning good enough to replace actual legal work.

If you're basing this on the complexity of legal work, then lol

If you're basing this on the intractability of lawyers, clients, and courts/regulators to adapt, then yes

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:24 pm

If clients are still stupid enough to pay a first year to do sig pages then biglaw will never die.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:28 pm

star fox wrote:This is great news for everyone that isn't a lawyer. Anything that drives the cost of legal services down is a win for the economy.
Pretty sure legal costs will stay high because it's a necessary good, it's just there will be fewer lawyers.

I also don't see how litigation can be automated (without sci-fi AI) because it's all based on subjective arguments anyway. You could probably automate settlement negotiation (wouldn't be surprised if that's already done), but for cases where the law isn't clear or it requires some shit like "what would an individual having ordinary skill in the art find obvious" you'd still need lawyers.

I mean, if you can automate legal brief writing and reasoning, we've reached the point where robots are our overlords.

SeewhathappensLarry

Bronze

Post by SeewhathappensLarry » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:28 pm

Desert Fox wrote:No way is ai or machine learning good enough to replace actual legal work.

If I believe anything on this forum it's what DF says. (I'm serious--I love your advice) I think some corporate work can be automated much more quickly than lit stuff though.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:32 pm

LITCOIN COULD NEVER GO DOWN

MCFC

Platinum

Post by MCFC » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:38 pm

Maybe our union can sue these robots for unauthorized practice of law.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”