Think I may have screwed up-- any way to check if a judge got my externship application?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Think I may have screwed up-- any way to check if a judge got my externship application?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:29 pm

I figured I would drop off my externship application in person at the courthouse since I was in the area and I wouldn't have to risk things getting lost in the mail. I asked security if there was a mail drop-off and they directed me to a drop box on the wall, where I left the application. As I was walking away, however, I saw a sign on top of the drop box that said something about "filing guidelines." Did I make an embarrassing mistake that might result in my application being thrown away-- or worse-- reach a judge when he's expecting something more important? Is there any way to check if a judge received my application like I've done for other sorts of jobs? Or would it be bad optics to contact chambers for something that trivial?

Any advice would be appreciated... Not feeling too great right now.

mjb447

Silver

Re: Think I may have screwed up-- any way to check if a judge got my externship application?

Postby mjb447 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:45 pm

The application probably got through, at least if that courthouse works like mine. Filing guidelines are for court filings, and chambers generally doesn't just throw away anything that doesn't meet the filing guidelines (the doc often has to be filed in and then marked as defective). A human being like a courtroom deputy or clerk probably looked at your application, figured out what it was, and routed it appropriately. (The judge probably also doesn't take the first pass at the mail, so I wouldn't worry about him thinking your app is something that it isn't.) If I received a call from you I would probably wonder what had happened that made you not trust the mail, because I would have assumed that that was how you sent it, but calling wouldn't be too problematic. I wouldn't worry about this, though.

Anonymous User

Re: Think I may have screwed up-- any way to check if a judge got my externship application?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:55 pm

mjb447 wrote:The application probably got through, at least if that courthouse works like mine. Filing guidelines are for court filings, and chambers generally doesn't just throw away anything that doesn't meet the filing guidelines (the doc often has to be filed in and then marked as defective). A human being like a courtroom deputy or clerk probably looked at your application, figured out what it was, and routed it appropriately. (The judge probably also doesn't take the first pass at the mail, so I wouldn't worry about him thinking your app is something that it isn't.) If I received a call from you I would probably wonder what had happened that made you not trust the mail, because I would have assumed that that was how you sent it, but calling wouldn't be too problematic. I wouldn't worry about this, though.

That's definitely reassuring to hear. Do you think it would make a difference that I submitted applications to multiple judges? Like, maybe the clerk would be okay rerouting a single stray envelope but might get annoyed at having to deal with several of them?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:02 am

It's not going to make a difference. They're not going to be professional about one misplaced document but then just throw them away if thereare multiples.

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:07 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:It's not going to make a difference. They're not going to be professional about one misplaced document but then just throw them away if thereare multiples.

Agreed. Litigation involves a ton of paper, much of it unnecessary, and court personnel deal with it professionally. A few extra envelopes are not going to stand out at all (particularly to a clerk sorting mail for multiple judges or the whole court).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:15 am

You both make good points. I think the job search is just making me overreact and get overly anxious about small things like this.

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:You both make good points. I think the job search is just making me overreact and get overly anxious about small things like this.

Maybe, but your question was pretty normal, particularly if you haven't worked for a court before. Good luck.

Genius

Silver

Postby Genius » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:51 pm

Send it again. I did it and judge didnt mind. He/she is not gonna ding u cuz u sent it twice.

Return to “Legal Employment�