Unpaid Law Clerk position - How long??

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Nybar2015

New

Unpaid Law Clerk position - How long??

Postby Nybar2015 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:55 pm

Hi there, I passed NY bar and my admission is pending. I have been looking for work nearly 6+ months. I just got 2 interviews. One I didn't get and other I quit as the attorney was very unprofessional. I am volunteering with NGO for few hours a week. I then decided to send Unpaid Law Clerk applications to law firms around and have a few interviews lined up now. I can afford to do unpaid work for about 2 months after that its going to be a burden. I know it sounds silly but I am wondering if I should tell them that I can work unpaid for only 2 months :( . I am scared to say anything because I might lose all chances of getting employed at this rate.

favabeansoup

Bronze

Re: Unpaid Law Clerk position - How long??

Postby favabeansoup » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:02 pm

Nybar2015 wrote:Hi there, I passed NY bar and my admission is pending. I have been looking for work nearly 6+ months. I just got 2 interviews. One I didn't get and other I quit as the attorney was very unprofessional. I am volunteering with NGO for few hours a week. I then decided to send Unpaid Law Clerk applications to law firms around and have a few interviews lined up now. I can afford to do unpaid work for about 2 months after that its going to be a burden. I know it sounds silly but I am wondering if I should tell them that I can work unpaid for only 2 months :( . I am scared to say anything because I might lose all chances of getting employed at this rate.

Hiring an unpaid law clerk sounds pretty illegal to me and any firm that thinks it is ok not paying you at all for substantive legal work clearly don't know what anything about the law.

I know you are probably really desperate and think sending out applications saying "I can work for free" will get your foot in the door somehow. I'm sorry you are in that position, but doing this won't help. It won't. Firms need to at least pay you minimum wage.

1styearlateral

Silver

Postby 1styearlateral » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:13 pm

Yeah, as fava stated they have to pay you at least min. wage. But saying you're willing to work for reduced salary/pay is a great way to get through the door. If you do good work, maybe you can leverage into a full paid position or into another job altogether. Getting to work is important. Classmate of mine (class of 2015) just got his first job with a county judge... You do not want to be in that position.

Genius

Silver

Postby Genius » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:04 pm

1styearlateral wrote:Yeah, as fava stated they have to pay you at least min. wage. But saying you're willing to work for reduced salary/pay is a great way to get through the door. If you do good work, maybe you can leverage into a full paid position or into another job altogether. Getting to work is important. Classmate of mine (class of 2015) just got his first job with a county judge... You do not want to be in that position.

First job after 2 years??

1styearlateral

Silver

Postby 1styearlateral » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:33 pm

Genius wrote:
1styearlateral wrote:Yeah, as fava stated they have to pay you at least min. wage. But saying you're willing to work for reduced salary/pay is a great way to get through the door. If you do good work, maybe you can leverage into a full paid position or into another job altogether. Getting to work is important. Classmate of mine (class of 2015) just got his first job with a county judge... You do not want to be in that position.

Legal market is dismal my dude.

Genius

Silver

Postby Genius » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:36 pm

1styearlateral wrote:
Genius wrote:

Legal market is dismal my dude.

Shit man I know it's bad but I didnt know it was THAT bad. Even I got a job relatively soon and I am as mediocre of an applicant as mediocre can get.

What is ur friends school tier?? I somehow doubt even a median at a tier 1 school would be out of a job for 2 yrs. Maybe he just didnt look as hard??

Return to “Legal Employment�