Biglaw Second Year Associate; Won My First Federal Jury Trial Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Biglaw Second Year Associate; Won My First Federal Jury Trial

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:44 pm

AMA. I know a lot of people on here wonder about getting substantive experience while working biglaw. Yes, this is somewhat of a humblebrag, but TLS has been good to me, and I thought that I'd share the experience. Case was obviously pro bono. It was a section 1983 action. I don't want to get more specific than that regarding the case. Will answer other questions though.

Ronan

Gold

Re: Biglaw Second Year Associate; Won My First Federal Jury Trial

Post by Ronan » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:47 pm

What did you eat for breakfast this past weekend?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:48 pm

Ronan wrote:What did you eat for breakfast this past weekend?
I actually don't eat breakfast. Haven't in four years.

Ronan

Gold

Post by Ronan » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Neat, thanks.

How long did the jury deliberate?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:53 pm

Ronan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Neat, thanks.

How long did the jury deliberate?
Nine hours.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:57 pm

Did it feel more prestigious to win a federal jury trial as opposed to a state jury trial?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:06 pm

rpupkin wrote:Did it feel more prestigious to win a federal jury trial as opposed to a state jury trial?
Yes. It's harder to make it to federal court. As I'm sure you remember, you can only do so on a federal question and diversity issues. Diversity usually involves a large corporation and no firm is going to let a junior associate try that case. So that just leaves federal issues, which usually are civil rights type issues. Suing cops/corrections officers is not easy.

grand inquisitor

Gold

Post by grand inquisitor » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:07 pm

if this was a prisoner 1983, do you think your actions are a net benefit to society?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:08 pm

grand inquisitor wrote:if this was a prisoner 1983, do you think your actions are a net benefit to society?
Yes, I believe that everyone has the right to be free from cruel and unusual punishment. Period.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

grand inquisitor

Gold

Post by grand inquisitor » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:18 pm

i got drunk last night and was talking to a friend about how i think we should repeal the 8th amendment and most other criminal protections on the shelby county sunset rationale.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:18 pm

Did the verdict surprise you? Or did anything else about trying the case (that you're willing to discuss)?

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:24 pm

What did you wear to court?

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:25 pm

Congrats OP. Good job.

How much assistance did you get from the firm and the partners and associates you work with?

Was this case found through a non profit agency that screens for winnable cases?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:40 pm

mjb447 wrote:Did the verdict surprise you? Or did anything else about trying the case (that you're willing to discuss)?
Verdict did slightly surprise me. My client had some apparent mental health issues and that resulted in outbursts during trial. Also, everyone told me that this case was impossible. But I read the file and genuinely believed that my client was wronged and that his story made more sense than the corrections officers.

Also, the court definitely sided with them every step of the way, IMO. I got into the case late with limited discovery. I asked for policies and procedures and other relevant documents, but the court refused to grant this since discovery had technically closed. The court was also very liberal in granting relevancy objections, and these always went against me. Just was an uphill battle.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:41 pm

zot1 wrote:What did you wear to court?
I wore a suit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:44 pm

Npret wrote:Congrats OP. Good job.

How much assistance did you get from the firm and the partners and associates you work with?

Was this case found through a non profit agency that screens for winnable cases?
This case was not screened through a non profit agency. If an inmate makes it past summary judgment in my jurisdiction, then the judge tries to get counsel assigned to make the trial run more smoothly. Just because the case made it past summary judgment does not mean that it had great facts.

My firm was pretty good about it. A partner second chaired the case, and gave a lot of support. She told me when to object and helped me argue evidentiary issues. She also consulted on my closings, cross-examinations, and helped me prep, which is obviously really nice.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:50 pm

I imagine you wont out the firm, but could you give us at least an idea of the firm? Vault range/city? Thanks

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:52 pm

grades?? wrote:I imagine you wont out the firm, but could you give us at least an idea of the firm? Vault range/city? Thanks
Secondary Market. V50-V75. That's about as specific as I'll go.

Greenandgold

Bronze

Post by Greenandgold » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:52 pm

How many hours would you estimate you spent on the case total? And for trial?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:57 pm

Greenandgold wrote:How many hours would you estimate you spent on the case total? And for trial?
Probably 180 trial prep and trial. And like 100 for depos and other stuff. The 180 and 100 fell in two different calendar years, which is nice.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:22 pm

General demographic of jury pool? (urban/rural, North/South, circuit if willing?)

Also congrats, you're probably really just here to brag but that's fair enough.

And is your firm keeping the fees?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:47 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:General demographic of jury pool? (urban/rural, North/South, circuit if willing?)

Jury pool, all white. That's as specific as I'll go, but I think it answers your question. Firm isn't going to keep fees because we signed an agreement that we wouldn't pursue our attorney fees. We don't except to win these.

Also, it's hard to not make a post like this, and not seem like I'm just here to brag. But I see all these posts about litigators waiting until their fourth year to take a depo. And my firm is no exception. A ton of litigators do that here too. I just don't see why you would do that. I do give up a lot of time on pro bono, but the rewards are definitely there. You get experience and get to do good. Maybe pro bono opportunities are more limited in other markets/ at higher ranked firms.

cdotson2

Silver

Post by cdotson2 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:General demographic of jury pool? (urban/rural, North/South, circuit if willing?)

Jury pool, all white. That's as specific as I'll go, but I think it answers your question. Firm isn't going to keep fees because we signed an agreement that we wouldn't pursue our attorney fees. We don't except to win these.

Also, it's hard to not make a post like this, and not seem like I'm just here to brag. But I see all these posts about litigators waiting until their fourth year to take a depo. And my firm is no exception. A ton of litigators do that here too. I just don't see why you would do that. I do give up a lot of time on pro bono, but the rewards are definitely there. You get experience and get to do good. Maybe pro bono opportunities are more limited in other markets/ at higher ranked firms.
Does the firm look down on spending so much time on this, or do they view it as a positive because you are gaining experience and maybe some good pr opportunities for them?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:05 pm

cdotson2 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Does the firm look down on spending so much time on this, or do they view it as a positive because you are gaining experience and maybe some good pr opportunities for them?
Kind of a mix to be honest. To be frank, some people were really happy and thought that this was a really good thing. They were partners with a ton of trial experience or lean to the left. Others did not seem as thrilled.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:29 pm

What kind of billables do you have at work? I'm also a 2nd year and have an opportunity to take a pro bono case very likely to go to trial in SDNY. However, I am on a pace for 2400/2500 billable hours so I feel like it might be crazy to take a pre-trial pro bono matter.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”