Leaving Biglaw job after 1 Year

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Leaving Biglaw job after 1 Year

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:53 am

Hey ,

I saw someone's post about leaving after 6 months. I've been at my job for almost 1 year. I am a lateral and spent about 2 years each at my previous places of employment. I like the people that I work with and like the work. The only downside is the location. I really do not like living in this city.

How much flack should I expect when interviewing to leave after 1 year?

What would you say in your interview?

I was also thinking about playing any potential offer with my current firm to see if they will move me to a different office.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Leaving Biglaw job after 1 Year

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:10 am

3 firms in 5 years will be a concern for employers, in my opinion.

WhiteCollarBlueShirt

Bronze

Postby WhiteCollarBlueShirt » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:11 am

Obviously it is not great to bounce around and it would be better to transfer offices if possible, but location, location, location is one thing that people seem to always understand.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:18 am

CanadianWolf wrote:3 firms in 5 years will be a concern for employers, in my opinion.

Op here. Not sure if it makes a difference but I was inhouse for 2 years at my previous job. The only reason I left was because the company was going through being acquired. If it wasn't for that I would probably still be at the company. I had to scramble to get a job before the company laid off the whole legal department.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:23 am

Then that makes a significant difference. But you will still have to explain the other two departures. It would be unusual for a firm to take on someone with a 2 year tenure expectancy.

Nynaeve

New

Postby Nynaeve » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:33 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Then that makes a significant difference. But you will still have to explain the other two departures. It would be unusual for a firm to take on someone with a 2 year tenure expectancy.

What about if OP were trying to switch sectors--to go from, let's say, a V10 to a public service/government job?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:37 am

Would people address leaving in the cover letter? bring this up in an interview? or would you address it only if asked?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:47 am

You should only bring it up when asked. No need to draw attention to something negative. Either way, it should not be hard to give an explanation for switching markets i.e talk about ties if moving to secondary markets, sophistication of work if moving to nyc etc.

Return to “Legal Employment�