Big Law and Small Claim Lawsuits?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Big Law and Small Claim Lawsuits?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:29 pm

Has anyone licensed filed a pro se small claim suit or knows anyone that has?

I have a breach of K/PI claim for a few grand, and very confident I'd win.

But does this need to be reported to the bar and my employer? Is the fact one is a lawyer something that should factor into their choice on whether to pursue such an action? I definitely wouldn't want this to come up on google, mostly because if I have a much bigger lawsuit down the road about something else, the first page of my googled name will be firm profile, lawsuit, linkedin, lawsuit, youtube, lawsuit, lawsuit, etc. - not a good image.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: Big Law and Small Claim Lawsuits?

Postby RaceJudicata » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone licensed filed a pro se small claim suit or knows anyone that has?

I have a breach of K/PI claim for a few grand, and very confident I'd win.

But does this need to be reported to the bar and my employer? Is the fact one is a lawyer something that should factor into their choice on whether to pursue such an action? I definitely wouldn't want this to come up on google, mostly because if I have a much bigger lawsuit down the road about something else, the first page of my googled name will be firm profile, lawsuit, linkedin, lawsuit, youtube, lawsuit, lawsuit, etc. - not a good image.

No advice re: notifying firm. But I highly doubt that it'll come up on google if its just a small claims suit. Sure, it'll be a matter of public record, but not every court filing will pop on google.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:20 pm

I've never actually taken anything to court, but have relatives who have and it is the first thing that shows up. These weren't small claims court claims. A crazy relative filed a Title VII suit, and another relative had a legit lawsuit against a major corp that settled post-filing.

Will the fact it's just a simple claim against small co factor in? I anticipate at least one larger lawsuit in the next 5-6 years related to protecting a family interests that will probably require disclosure. Part of the cost-benefit analysis is whether I need to notify the bar and my employer each time. I'm not overly litigious, but am less inclined to let things go than most people. That said, I think $1000 crosses the line from letting it go to pursuing recourse.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've never actually taken anything to court, but have relatives who have and it is the first thing that shows up. These weren't small claims court claims. A crazy relative filed a Title VII suit, and another relative had a legit lawsuit against a major corp that settled post-filing.

Will the fact it's just a simple claim against small co factor in? I anticipate at least one larger lawsuit in the next 5-6 years related to protecting a family interests that will probably require disclosure. Part of the cost-benefit analysis is whether I need to notify the bar and my employer each time. I'm not overly litigious, but am less inclined to let things go than most people. That said, I think $1000 crosses the line from letting it go to pursuing recourse.

You asked about small claims so I answered re: Small Claims. If you want confirmation, do a docket search of recently filed small claims cases in your jurisdiction, then do a google search for the parties. I doubt the case is going to pop on google.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:37 pm

OP: Are your demand letters that ineffective ?

homestyle28

Gold

Postby homestyle28 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:31 pm

your firm malpractice carrier probably prohibits you doing this pro se. If you're really confident, just drop some legalese in a demand letter and see if that works (don't use letterhead or mention that you're fancy big law atty). If you really want to sue, talk to your malpractice partner, my guess is someone knows someone who will do it for cheap for you.

I had an insurance claim with this kind of issue, a few emails about tort liability of a business operator and I had a few grand in my pocket.

Return to “Legal Employment�