edit

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Alt123

New

edit

Postby Alt123 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:16 pm

edit
Last edited by Alt123 on Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Working at a BigLaw branch in Beijing

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:26 am

I have a buddy who worked at a Biglaw branch in Asia (not Beijing). He was on a totally different pay scale. The pay was a lot less than biglaw USA or Biglaw HK/Singapore. However, it was definitely more than enough money to live in that area. After 2 years, he was actually able to move to HK and make a salary that is pretty close to Biglaw.

People have told me that if you go to Asia, it is often hard to come back to the US. If this is your only choice, I would take it without hesitation. However, if you have other choices, I would consider taking those choices instead of going to Asia.

deference

New

Re: Working at a BigLaw branch in Beijing

Postby deference » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:29 am

One of my former supervisors in government spent 4-5 years in the capital markets group for Simpson Thacher. Compensation and benefits are a given, but hours were just as grueling if not more than in NYC. However, this was during the Chinese ipo heydays.

I very caution you about going to Beijing given the air quality, spending years there might mean shortening your lifespan (no kidding). Pay and lifestyle as an expat might sound sexy and all, evaluate your personal and not only professional future clearly before taking the job. Consider alternative cities like hk or sg. If mainland China is your thing, think sh.

Return to “Legal Employment�