Biglaw to Midlaw?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Biglaw to Midlaw?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:38 pm

Do people have thoughts on making a move from a classic biglaw firm to a mid-size law firm? I worry about a potential lack of hours, and/or getting exposed because I don't have enough substantive experience in biglaw that might be expected of me at a leaner firm.

Anonymous User

Re: Biglaw to Midlaw?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do people have thoughts on making a move from a classic biglaw firm to a mid-size law firm? I worry about a potential lack of hours, and/or getting exposed because I don't have enough substantive experience in biglaw that might be expected of me at a leaner firm.

I made this move last year to be closer to family, have more reasonable hours, etc. The answers to your questions really depend on the firm.

I have had a great experience because the people at my new midlaw firm are much nicer than most people in biglaw and the firm is sophisticated enough that most of the work is fairly similar to biglaw, even though the firm charges midlaw rates.

Hours are not an issue at my firm, but it can be an issue for people in other midlaw firms. Here is an matter to confirm with HR. For hours requirements and bonus purposes, are you credited with the number of (i) hours that you bill/enter into the system or (ii) hours ultimately realized from the client. Most biglaw firms and good midlaw firms do not ding associates based on realization rate, but some midlaw firms only give you credit for hours successfully collected from clients. The latter may crush you and is an often overlooked downside of some midlaw firms (my firm does not do this but others in the city do).

Return to “Legal Employment�