No OCI Bid for a company that I really want to work at

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

No OCI Bid for a company that I really want to work at

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:24 pm

My grades the first semester of law school were dismissal at best. I received 2 Bs and 2 B-s. I didn't receive any OCI bids for my school, I am a T-25. The OCI is randomized. There was this one company that stood out to me. It wasn't a firm job but it's a company that I really liked during undergrad. There program is exactly what I need. I have a lot of good qualifications, and my career advisor said my personality will get me far. I was wondering should I email the company and express my additional interest? I have a business degree from a school they heavily recuit at. My ultimate career goal is to go in-house for Cocacola

trmckenz

Bronze

Re: No OCI Bid for a company that I really want to work at

Postby trmckenz » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:43 pm

Go after the job you want.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:48 pm

That is an oddly specific career goal. Anyway, go ahead and email them. "I didn't get a bid, but I feel that I would be an excellent candidate for xyz reasons. If there is time in your OCI schedule at x school, I'd sincerely appreciate the opportunity to interview with xyz company." Literally nothing to lose. Absolute worst thing that happens is that they don't respond.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:50 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:That is an oddly specific career goal. Anyway, go ahead and email them. "I didn't get a bid, but I feel that I would be an excellent candidate for xyz reasons. If there is time in your OCI schedule at x school, I'd sincerely appreciate the opportunity to interview with xyz company." Literally nothing to lose. Absolute worst thing that happens is that they don't respond.

Sorry, I meant to add my story here but class started. I grew up in the city Coke was founded in and I've always admired the company. When I decided to become a lawyer I decided I wanted to be Coke's lawyer. Hence, it's kind of a childhood dream.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1styearlateral

Silver

Postby 1styearlateral » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:That is an oddly specific career goal. Anyway, go ahead and email them. "I didn't get a bid, but I feel that I would be an excellent candidate for xyz reasons. If there is time in your OCI schedule at x school, I'd sincerely appreciate the opportunity to interview with xyz company." Literally nothing to lose. Absolute worst thing that happens is that they don't respond.

He's right it is odd and why are you hiding behind anon to post ellipses. Please contribute something constructive and stop abusing the forum's features to fill it with garbage.

To answer OP, I did just this while in law school and it paid off as I got the internship.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:10 pm

1styearlateral wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

He's right it is odd and why are you hiding behind anon to post ellipses. Please contribute something constructive and stop abusing the forum's features to fill it with garbage.

To answer OP, I did just this while in law school and it paid off as I got the internship.

FWIW, this is how I got the biglaw SA I ended up accepting. It can work.

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:29 pm

Seems like there's lots to unpack here, but I basically agree with RaceJudicata. It could be viewed as a little obtrusive, but since you already struck out it's not going to put you in a worse position to ask.

Return to “Legal Employment�