Working at the NYC Law Dept

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Nynaeve

New

Working at the NYC Law Dept

Postby Nynaeve » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:21 pm

Any current or former NYC law dept folks able to talk about their experiences in the office? Specifically interested in the labor and special federal lit bureaus--what kind of work you do, QOL. I ran some searches and saw sporadic mentions. Considering applying for openings in both. Thnx

Nynaeve

New

Re: Working at the NYC Law Dept

Postby Nynaeve » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:35 pm

Bump.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:43 pm

QOL/general questions etc. see here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=272463 I can't speak to NYC specifically (don't work there) but these are my impressions from working somewhere similar:

Labor is generally about trying to fire people through administrative (arbitration) and judicial (court) processes, and defending various types of discrimination lawsuits. Not likely as much court time as the federal lit, but a fair amount. The thing to remember is that you'll be dealing with a heavily unionized workforce, so they have various procedural protections and ways to prevent people from being fired. Your job would basically be to do the litigation required to get employees the city wants fired to stay fired (where I am, there are plenty of people who have been 'fired' multiple times...). Also will have input during labor union contract negotiations (though transactional attorneys, either in-house or outside counsel, would likely handle the actual negotiations and drafting).

Special Federal Lit would be defending civil rights lawsuits. Again, very heavily litigation, and likely will get you into court and actual trials a fair amount (not nearly an every day thing like a DA or PD, but it'll likely be a lot for a civil litigator). The type of cases are pretty straightforward: If a cop shoots someone and the victim sues saying they used excessive force, you're the one defending them; same if an inmate accuses a prison guard of beating them up. You also help make the call of whether to settle a case if you realize it's going to make the city look horrible if you go to trial. At least where I am, this area is probably the most prestigious litigation based practice, and does some interesting cases.

Generally for both practice areas, you'll basically be handling your own cases from start to finish, so the actual work will be what you might expect: Pleadings, discovery, motions, etc. Generally pretty substantive compared to biglaw associate work.

Nynaeve

New

Postby Nynaeve » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:QOL/general questions etc. see here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=272463 I can't speak to NYC specifically (don't work there) but these are my impressions from working somewhere similar:

Labor is generally about trying to fire people through administrative (arbitration) and judicial (court) processes, and defending various types of discrimination lawsuits. Not likely as much court time as the federal lit, but a fair amount. The thing to remember is that you'll be dealing with a heavily unionized workforce, so they have various procedural protections and ways to prevent people from being fired. Your job would basically be to do the litigation required to get employees the city wants fired to stay fired (where I am, there are plenty of people who have been 'fired' multiple times...). Also will have input during labor union contract negotiations (though transactional attorneys, either in-house or outside counsel, would likely handle the actual negotiations and drafting).

Special Federal Lit would be defending civil rights lawsuits. Again, very heavily litigation, and likely will get you into court and actual trials a fair amount (not nearly an every day thing like a DA or PD, but it'll likely be a lot for a civil litigator). The type of cases are pretty straightforward: If a cop shoots someone and the victim sues saying they used excessive force, you're the one defending them; same if an inmate accuses a prison guard of beating them up. You also help make the call of whether to settle a case if you realize it's going to make the city look horrible if you go to trial. At least where I am, this area is probably the most prestigious litigation based practice, and does some interesting cases.

Generally for both practice areas, you'll basically be handling your own cases from start to finish, so the actual work will be what you might expect: Pleadings, discovery, motions, etc. Generally pretty substantive compared to biglaw associate work.

Thanks, much appreciated.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:08 am

I worked at the Law Dept 3 years ago now. I still have some friends working there in commercial lit. My understanding was that Labor was the most understaffed and overworked of the bunch, because their work was most translatable to firm work so a bunch of them had been hired away. Special fed seemed to generally like their jobs.

Nynaeve

New

Postby Nynaeve » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I worked at the Law Dept 3 years ago now. I still have some friends working there in commercial lit. My understanding was that Labor was the most understaffed and overworked of the bunch, because their work was most translatable to firm work so a bunch of them had been hired away. Special fed seemed to generally like their jobs.

Gotcha, thanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:12 pm

I have an offer to work at the NYC Law Department for the summer as a 2L intern. What is the likelihood you get your 1st choice of division? When do they let everyone know who's going to work in what division?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:23 am

Does anyone know how long they law dept takes to get back to you about your application? I applied in early/mid January for their SA program and radio silence since the confirmation email

Return to “Legal Employment�