2L SA, but not in interested field

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L SA, but not in interested field

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:14 pm

So I locked in a summer associate position for this summer, but the firm does not have a real estate practice. As I've taken a few more real estate classes this year, I've realized this is the path that intrigues me most. I have already committed to this firm for the summer, so if I am looking to find a firm to work for with a real estate practice upon graduation, what is the best way to go about this? Start looking/applying prior to my SA, during my SA, after the SA once I have an offer? If I wait until after the SA and get an offer (hopefully), my worry is that I will only have X amount of days to find something until I have to accept the offer.

1styearlateral

Silver

Re: 2L SA, but not in interested field

Postby 1styearlateral » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:20 pm

Accept the SA and apply to other jobs anyway for post graduation. It doesn't really matter what you do during your 2L summer and by no means locks you into a practice area.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:32 pm

You might also find yourself interested in the work you are doing at the firm. A law school class is generally not indicative of what practice in X area of law will be like.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:47 pm

1styearlateral wrote:Accept the SA and apply to other jobs anyway for post graduation. It doesn't really matter what you do during your 2L summer and by no means locks you into a practice area.

What's a good time to start applying? Is it bad news if my SA firm finds out I am applying with other firms?

1styearlateral

Silver

Postby 1styearlateral » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
1styearlateral wrote:Accept the SA and apply to other jobs anyway for post graduation. It doesn't really matter what you do during your 2L summer and by no means locks you into a practice area.

What's a good time to start applying? Is it bad news if my SA firm finds out I am applying with other firms?

I would wait until your 3L fall to start applying. Just be honest and say you enjoyed your 2L summer firm but would prefer to practice/have a passion for real estate law. What I would also do is network a lot during your 2L summer; stack up those business cards. Try going to real estate events and state/city bar happy hours and stuff to get your name out there. Then you'll have people to directly reach out to.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:14 pm

Im in the same position essentially. Going to a corporate firm, and I want to do lit, but this was the only offer I got. My plan is to do the SA, accept the post-grad offer if given, then do 3L OCI and see if I can get anything there. If not, I'll be doing corp.
Edit: IM NOT OP

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:30 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:You might also find yourself interested in the work you are doing at the firm. A law school class is generally not indicative of what practice in X area of law will be like.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Im in the same position essentially. Going to a corporate firm, and I want to do lit, but this was the only offer I got. My plan is to do the SA, accept the post-grad offer if given, then do 3L OCI and see if I can get anything there. If not, I'll be doing corp.

if you accept a post-grad offer, does this not lock you into working for the firm? Just seems unprofessional to accept an offer and then shop around for firms.

MrT

Bronze

Postby MrT » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Im in the same position essentially. Going to a corporate firm, and I want to do lit, but this was the only offer I got. My plan is to do the SA, accept the post-grad offer if given, then do 3L OCI and see if I can get anything there. If not, I'll be doing corp.

if you accept a post-grad offer, does this not lock you into working for the firm? Just seems unprofessional to accept an offer and then shop around for firms.

Absolutely not. This happens more than you think. Also, people often opt for a federal clerkship their first year and use that clerkship to climb the prestige ladder or go into government roles. Accepting an offer is nothing more than an indication of intent to return. The firm doesn't really care all that much about you as an individual and you owe no obligation to them. That being said, finding a gig your 3L year is going to be a lot more difficult than it was through OCI.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

It may seem bad and unprofessional, but the firms are prepared for it, and this is YOUR life; don't get hung up on working at a firm you dont want to work at just because it would have looked bad to renege

Return to “Legal Employment�