Truth About Billing During Interview

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Truth About Billing During Interview

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:54 pm

I have an interview coming up and I expect the employer to ask me why I'm leaving my current gig. My honest reason is this: My current firm has an insane goal of 2300 hours. I've been here almost a year and I can tell you that I'm nowhere near that number...I'm on pace to finish around 1950-2000. It isn't that I'm not capturing my time properly and efficiently, the truth is there simply isn't enough work for me. It's been real frustrating. So I'm at a point where I'm going to jump ship and go somewhere else.

I'm not in big law. I practice insurance defense and as one would assume, a big ID firm would have nothing but work to shell out to associates...but not in my situation. In case you are wondering, the structure of my office isn't one where I can just knock on doors asking for work. My office is a satellite office and the partners in my office already have their own associates to funnel work to. DOn't get me wrong - my boss is a good guy and I enjoy working for him but I need those hours and I just take take the anxiety anymore of submitting my time every month and always seeing it fall short of firm goals.

Is all this acceptable to tell an employer during interview? Obviously I won't bad mouth anybody. I would think hitting 1950-2000 isn't shabby at all considering it is insurance defense and like I said, I'm not against billing more...i just want to make sure the work is there and I want a new challenge. thanks.

raptors_delight

New

Re: Truth About Billing During Interview

Postby raptors_delight » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:30 pm

Even if it's true, why give that as your reason for leaving? Just say that you're looking for a new challenge and you think there are limited prospects for growth at your current firm. Or something. I'm convinced that the "why are you leaving?" interview question is just a test for autism. They don't really care about the truth; they care about whether the interviewee has enough social awareness not to tell the truth.

Return to “Legal Employment�