Should I switch from Patent Lit to Tech Transactions?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Should I switch from Patent Lit to Tech Transactions?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:47 pm

V30 3rd yr Patent Lit bro here (bckgnd in comp sci). Been seeing job offers for tech transaction associate in my area (SF/SV), and thinking about making the switch. Exit options and lifestyle seem much better and work seems more interesting. Has anyone else made the switch?

oblig.lawl.ref

Bronze

Re: Should I switch from Patent Lit to Tech Transactions?

Postby oblig.lawl.ref » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:58 pm

Not really here to be helpful (sorry) but I have suddenly been getting bombarded by recruiters trying to sell transitioning to tech trans. I used to think that was hard to break into but I'm not sure about the quality of the practices they are pitching. Not sure what's going on but demand does seem to be up...

Anonymous User

Re: Should I switch from Patent Lit to Tech Transactions?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:21 pm

I practice in tech transactions in SV/SF after lateraling from patent litigation/prosecution. Exit options are probably the best part. It is extremely easy to land an inhouse position at a large tech company. Anecdotally, in-house pay is pretty close to biglaw if you take into account RSUs, 401K matching, etc. The downside is that it is hard to make partner and/or build a book of business since a lot of our work is done inhouse. I think the work is interesting since you have to understand the business and technology in order to think through all of the issues, although not everyone may enjoy drafting agreements all day. Hours are better than IP litigation as a whole, but can be more unpredictable if you do a lot of deal work. Demand is always high for laterals because of the exit options for midlevels.

Return to “Legal Employment�