CA C&F: Mom opened up 5 credit cards in my name and ruined credit

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
zhenders

Silver

Re: CA C&F: Mom opened up 5 credit cards in my name and ruined credit

Postby zhenders » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:52 am

Best of luck OP; this is ultimately far too personal for any of us to give you advice on what you should or should not do; I hope the C&F attorneys you speak with are able to lay out some hopeful courses of action.

I will say this: know thyself, and your mom. As young people, it's easy sometimes to excuse away our parents because of how much we care for them, or our feelings of owing them. Some of that is cultural; some of that is personal; but sometimes, it's unhealthy and inaccurate. Your mom may very well be an amazing person with the best of intentions who made a dumb mistake. But just be honest with yourself if it's something else, and remember that you have a right to autonomy and to not having your life destroyed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:53 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:OP: You revealed a very important piece of information in one of your subsequent posts when you wrote that you had some of the credit card companies reissue new cards to you with a different account number.

"I've also ... have had new cards issued for the accounts she opened that were not already closed by the creditor." = Doesn't sound much like fraud anymore.

OP here. This was something that actually was concerning me a little bit. Two of the five accounts she opened were not closed by the time they were repaid. I know that my chances of successfully applying for a new credit card are nil, so I thought having and using these cards would be the best way to rebuild my credit score. If continuing to use these cards would transform this situation from fraud, though, I can call and have the accounts closed. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

I had a picture perfect relationship with my mom prior to this, and we were best friends in every sense. What bothers me the most is that the money I earned last summer would have more than covered the amount she borrowed. If she would have approached me and asked for help, I would have understood and happily helped her out.

Thank you so much for the help and advice everyone. Looking up C&F attorneys right now.

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:08 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
lawman84 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Npret wrote:You don't know that this will solve OP issues and you don't know what other consequences will happen. You don't know if this is even necessary. Good to know you wouldn't hesitate to turn on your family if you thought it might benefit you. Not everyone will.

Again, you're using this false axiom of "protect the family at all costs" to justify this approach. I appreciate that not everyone feels the same way, but you're treating anyone who would even dream of turning a family member into the police for committing a felony as though they're insane. It's got nothing to do with some sort of callous cost-benefit calculation. She committed a crime. The OP is a victim of that crime. Any impartial observer wouldn't hesitate to turn her in for it, because it's a horrible thing to do to another human being. But for some reason, the fact that she's someone's mother is supposed to make it all better?

You're having to define the situation in broad language ("committed a felony") because you know how absurd it sounds when you actually compare the two potential outcomes.

I'm sorry, what language would you use? Intentionally fucked their own child over? Destroyed someone else's credit rating by deliberately involving them in credit card fraud? Committing a felony is probably the most genteel language I could use to describe this. And as for the two potential outcomes:

Outcome 1: The OP doesn't turn their mother in. Their credit is shot for the foreseeable future. Their bar application is potentially affected. They cannot get a place to live. They cannot get a credit card. They cannot get a mortgage. They cannot do anything financial until the damage is undone.

Outcome 2: The OP does turn their mother in. Their relationship with their mother likely suffers (because that apparently didn't happen already when she deliberately committed fraud using her own child's name). The mother possibly goes to jail for a short period. The OP can actually live their life. The family relationship is repaired after some amount of time, because again, it already survived this.

I'm not seeing any absurdity in comparing those two outcomes. I'd prefer the latter, but if the OP has really convinced themselves that their mother couldn't possibly have meant to do this (he ran into my knife... he ran into my knife five times), then they'll probably pick the former. It's going to come down to psychology, but I mainly felt that the supremacy of family relationships was getting taken for granted in the thread. Blood relation isn't something you can help, and it certainly doesn't create an obligation. More importantly, I really doubt we'd be having this debate if it had been a sibling, cousin, uncle, or even a father who did it.

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi TLS,

I discovered last month that my mom had opened five credit cards in my name, ran up a substantial amount of debt, and then did not pay on the cards. My credit score dropped more than 300 points as a result (also ruining my current search for a new apartment).

The only way I could have the debts removed from my report would be to file a police report against my mom and subject her to five 3rd degree felonies (which, as awful as this situation is, I will not do). I forced my mom to sell a property she owned to pay off the debts, and she just paid all of these debts in full. I know I'm late applying for the C&F, but I wanted to hold off until these debts were paid.

The CA moral character application only inquires as to debts that are past due, so I don't technically have any and can answer no to this question. I'm not sure, however, if I should include an addendum explaining my horrific credit score and include confirmation that these debts were paid?

My mom has stated that she would be willing to submit an affidavit to the state bar explaining the situation, if necessary. Could this potentially expose her to any criminal liability (she opened the cards in a different state)? Or should I just answer no for now and then explain the situation later if necessary?

*Note* I am also planning on speaking with either a C&F attorney or a professor at my school in the next week. I would really appreciate any help TLS can offer, though.

Thank you so much!

FWIW you should definitely dispute this with the credit bureaus. Beyond the C&F part, if you are trying to refi your Loans, rent an apartment, buy a car, get a cc, or anything that requires a credit pull, you are screwed with these on your Credit Report. You claim these were opened without your knowledge and authorization; then it's on the credit bureau to verify the accounts are valid - failure to do so by them opens them up to a huge liability (at least while the CFPB still exists)

I'm going to preface the following with, go see a C&F lawyer. That said, what is the exact language of the California C&F stuff? I applied to the Michigan Bar a few years ago and their language is as follows: "do you have any debts which are more than 90 days past due?" I had some past due medical bills on my credit report in the year leading up to the C&F portion for the state bar. They all emanated from when I was in college and my parents were having financial difficulty - bills went unpaid and b/c I was barely over 18 when they were incurred, they went after me, not my parents. So I let them sit on my Credit file and didn't think of them, until now. Flash forward to the bar app and I saw that question. So I filed a dispute with all major credit bureaus and asked them to verify the amounts, that I wasn't responsible for them, etc., etc. The bureaus came back and were unable to verify the debts, so it resulted in them all being removed. A fresh pull of my credit report shows no past-due accounts or collections. Filed my C&F app and stated I had no debts more than 90 days past due. Got through C&F without issue.

tyroneslothrop1

Bronze

Postby tyroneslothrop1 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:21 pm

I won't be surprised if you have eventually have to explain the situation to the bar. When that happens, I would just say what your mom did and leave it at that. Unlikely you will be able to just say "someone." But, the bar is not going to try and get your mom prosecuted and, even if the police learned what your mom did, I highly doubt they would go after her, given that you are not pressing for charges to be filed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:25 pm

OP here. Here's the CA C&F question:

"Do you owe any debts, including student loans, that are past due (include those barred by the statute of
limitations and past due credit account balances)?

If YES, list each such indebtedness, providing the name and present address of the creditor, nature of the
indebtedness, date incurred, the account number(s), amount still owing, reason for nonpayment, and the steps
taken to address the debt."

None of my debts are currently past due, but they are sitting at the top of my credit report in the adverse accounts section like a sore thumb

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Here's the CA C&F question:

"Do you owe any debts, including student loans, that are past due (include those barred by the statute of
limitations and past due credit account balances)?

If YES, list each such indebtedness, providing the name and present address of the creditor, nature of the
indebtedness, date incurred, the account number(s), amount still owing, reason for nonpayment, and the steps
taken to address the debt."

None of my debts are currently past due, but they are sitting at the top of my credit report in the adverse accounts section like a sore thumb

So your honest answer would be "no." No accounts past due. That should be the end of the inquiry. Obviously, contact cf attorney to confirm, but this seems cut and dry based on that language.

My state, the language is "Do you, or have you ever, had any account more than 90 days past due" or something to that effect.

Lettow

New

Postby Lettow » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:02 pm

I think it's a little strange people who attend law school or graduated struggle with the idea that sometimes, depending on the circumstances, it can be a good idea to protect oneself by turning in his or her parent(s). A family member is one of the most likely people to screw you over, and we read about those scenarios going down so many times.

Comments like "Better to forget about law school than to indict your mother," "You can deal with this without ruining your mothers life," "Not to mention this is his/her mother you schmuck. JFC man," are unhelpful. I think people are projecting a little too much of their own thoughts about how they personally would react if a close family member did something to them, or they're projecting their own "family first" moral system that is definitely not superior to other moral systems.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:07 pm

The only way I could have the debts removed from my report would be to file a police report against my mom and subject her to five 3rd degree felonies (which, as awful as this situation is, I will not do). I forced my mom to sell a property she owned to pay off the debts, and she just paid all of these debts in full. I know I'm late applying for the C&F, but I wanted to hold off until these debts were paid.

You say this, but has the debt been fully satisfied? Does it show on your credit report that they are delinquent but satisfied/paid off? This is important b/c you can negotiate with the collection agency to pay off a % of the debt to have it satisfied (sometimes less than 50-75% or so of the original value) and condition payment on a letter stating they will remove the debt from your credit report.

What you should do is reach out to each individual creditor and ask for a letter verifying the satisfaction of the debt. Also, and this might be a stretch, but ask if because they are satisfied if they will submit a request to all major credit bureaus to remove the debt from your report (get this in writing via a letter or an email). Then once you get that send that to the credit bureau asking for it to be removed. You're credit score should be immediately improved.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

You say this, but has the debt been fully satisfied? Does it show on your credit report that they are delinquent but satisfied/paid off?

What you should do is reach out to each individual creditor and ask for a letter verifying the satisfaction of the debt. Also, and this might be a stretch, but ask if because they are satisfied if they will submit a request to all major credit bureaus to remove the debt from your report (get this in writing via a letter or an email). Then once you get that send that to the credit bureau asking for it to be removed. You're credit score should be immediately improved.

OP here. Thank you so much for the advice. The debts were just paid off last Friday, so my credit report does not yet show that they have been paid off. That is a great idea on calling the creditors. Especially if I could have the charge-off removed, that would make my credit history look far less egregious.

elendinel

Silver

Postby elendinel » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:35 pm

zhenders wrote:Best of luck OP; this is ultimately far too personal for any of us to give you advice on what you should or should not do; I hope the C&F attorneys you speak with are able to lay out some hopeful courses of action.

I will say this: know thyself, and your mom. As young people, it's easy sometimes to excuse away our parents because of how much we care for them, or our feelings of owing them. Some of that is cultural; some of that is personal; but sometimes, it's unhealthy and inaccurate. Your mom may very well be an amazing person with the best of intentions who made a dumb mistake. But just be honest with yourself if it's something else, and remember that you have a right to autonomy and to not having your life destroyed.

Words of wisdom here.

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:30 pm

Lettow wrote:I think it's a little strange people who attend law school or graduated struggle with the idea that sometimes, depending on the circumstances, it can be a good idea to protect oneself by turning in his or her parent(s). A family member is one of the most likely people to screw you over, and we read about those scenarios going down so many times.

I think you're generalizing rather than putting things into context. You say "depending on the circumstances." That's the entire point here. Many of us don't think the circumstances warrant it here. I haven't seen anyone say that you should never turn a parent in for any reason. We're simply responding to OP's unfortunate scenario (in a completely unhelpful way). :lol:

But no, I don't go through life thinking that my family are among the most likely people to screw me over.

Comments like "Better to forget about law school than to indict your mother," "You can deal with this without ruining your mothers life," "Not to mention this is his/her mother you schmuck. JFC man," are unhelpful. I think people are projecting a little too much of their own thoughts about how they personally would react if a close family member did something to them, or they're projecting their own "family first" moral system that is definitely not superior to other moral systems.

This entire conservation is unhelpful. OP has said from the beginning that he or she will not turn in his or her mother to the police. So any conversation about turning in the mother isn't helpful. That isn't part of the inquiry here.

But this being a message board (filled with law students and lawyers), things tends to get sidetracked when an odd scenario pops up.

Lettow

New

Postby Lettow » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:13 pm

lawman84 wrote:
Lettow wrote:I think it's a little strange people who attend law school or graduated struggle with the idea that sometimes, depending on the circumstances, it can be a good idea to protect oneself by turning in his or her parent(s). A family member is one of the most likely people to screw you over, and we read about those scenarios going down so many times.

I think you're generalizing rather than putting things into context. You say "depending on the circumstances." That's the entire point here. Many of us don't think the circumstances warrant it here. I haven't seen anyone say that you should never turn a parent in for any reason. We're simply responding to OP's unfortunate scenario (in a completely unhelpful way). :lol:

But no, I don't go through life thinking that my family are among the most likely people to screw me over.

This entire conservation is unhelpful. OP has said from the beginning that he or she will not turn in his or her mother to the police. So any conversation about turning in the mother isn't helpful. That isn't part of the inquiry here.

But this being a message board (filled with law students and lawyers), things tends to get sidetracked when an odd scenario pops up.

Everyone has their own threshold for what they're willing to tolerate. The circumstances ITT might push someone past his threshold, and that person would be perfectly in his right doing whatever was needed to protect himself. You don't think the circumstances warrant it, but another person might disagree.

For example, someone might think it's only okay to turn in one's mother if her actions involve physical harm, and that it's never okay to turn in one's mother if the actions involve financial harm. Lots of abuse by mothers that can wreck lives fall below this threshold. When you get into the business of arbitrarily creating thresholds for when someone should report illegal activities, things can get a bit ridiculous.

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:19 pm

Lettow wrote:
lawman84 wrote:

Everyone has their own threshold for what they're willing to tolerate. The circumstances ITT might push someone past his threshold, and that person would be perfectly in his right doing whatever was needed to protect himself. You don't think the circumstances warrant it, but another person might disagree.

For example, someone might think it's only okay to turn in one's mother if her actions involve physical harm, and that it's never okay to turn in one's mother if the actions involve financial harm. Lots of abuse by mothers that can wreck lives fall below this threshold. When you get into the business of arbitrarily creating thresholds for when someone should report illegal activities, things can get a bit ridiculous.

OP already said he's not reporting her.

I'm happy to get into the business of arbitrarily creating thresholds when the threshold is as low as it is in this case. If you'd throw your mother under the bus to save your credit score, we're just never going to eye to eye. And yes, I fully recognize that she deserves to be under the bus. But there were plenty of times in life where I deserved to be under the bus, but my parents stood behind me and protected me.

Lettow

New

Postby Lettow » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:26 pm

lawman84 wrote:I'm happy to get into the business of arbitrarily creating thresholds when the threshold is as low as it is in this case. If you'd throw your mother under the bus to save your credit score, we're just never going to eye to eye. And yes, I fully recognize that she deserves to be under the bus. But there were plenty of times in life where I deserved to be under the bus, but my parents stood behind me and protected me.

You know not everyone has the family that you have, right? How about if my mother neglected me and there was very little bond, and then she decided to ruin my credit score. What if my father was basically a stranger, and he stole $1,000 from me? So many different scenarios exist that it's just ridiculous to try to create arbitrary lines for when to turn in a parent or family member.

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:49 pm

Lettow wrote:
lawman84 wrote:I'm happy to get into the business of arbitrarily creating thresholds when the threshold is as low as it is in this case. If you'd throw your mother under the bus to save your credit score, we're just never going to eye to eye. And yes, I fully recognize that she deserves to be under the bus. But there were plenty of times in life where I deserved to be under the bus, but my parents stood behind me and protected me.

You know not everyone has the family that you have, right? How about if my mother neglected me and there was very little bond, and then she decided to ruin my credit score. What if my father was basically a stranger, and he stole $1,000 from me? So many different scenarios exist that it's just ridiculous to try to create arbitrary lines for when to turn in a parent or family member.

Then you're well within your rights to not treat them like family. This is precisely why I asked a poster earlier in this thread whether he or she has a good relationship with his or her mother when I strongly disagreed with that poster on turning OP's mother in.

Npret

Silver

Postby Npret » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:11 pm

The worst case scenario for OP would be turning in his Mom only to find out it was unnecessary and avoidable.

rcharter1978

Gold

Postby rcharter1978 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:32 pm

Lettow wrote:

Its funny that people keep characterizing the situation as if by filing a police report to save his/her credit they will be throwing their mother in jail.

OP doesn't know if the police/prosecutor would even pursue this. Nor does OP, or anyone else know if OP's mother would do any time in jail. For a first time offender that has paid off the debt, in a family situation, where the OP doesn't want to see her mother go to jail, but only wants the police report to clear her credit it seems highly unlikely that OP's mother's life would be "ruined!" or that OP would be "throwing her under the bus!!!" or whatever.

If the state doesn't press charges, and the creditors have been paid the amount due than really, what is the detriment to mom? Nothing. So you all are going to sit here and advise OP to not even consider filing a police report that would help her credit immensely in the instance that her mother wouldn't even go to jail?

The smartest thing would be to get an idea of what the actual consequences are of filing the report, and proceed from there. But automatically assuming that the consequence is going to be that mom is going to be prosecuted for five class three felonies and put in jail doesn't make any sort of sense.

OP doesn't want her mother in jail, fine. But if there would be no consequence, or if its a matter of a small fine and a misdemeanor charge with no jail time its something that OP should consider. Her mother did fuck up, and that fuck up WILL impact OP's life for a long time. Taking a small fine and a misdemeanor charge with no jail time so that OP can have decent credit doesn't seem like its throwing mom under the bus, or ruining mom's life.....and certainly, no more than mom has ruined OP's life. Someone has to pay the price for OP's mother's mistake, and if the price is that low, maybe it should be OP's mother.

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Postby HonestAdvice » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:58 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:
Lettow wrote:

Its funny that people keep characterizing the situation as if by filing a police report to save his/her credit they will be throwing their mother in jail.

OP doesn't know if the police/prosecutor would even pursue this. Nor does OP, or anyone else know if OP's mother would do any time in jail. For a first time offender that has paid off the debt, in a family situation, where the OP doesn't want to see her mother go to jail, but only wants the police report to clear her credit it seems highly unlikely that OP's mother's life would be "ruined!" or that OP would be "throwing her under the bus!!!" or whatever.

If the state doesn't press charges, and the creditors have been paid the amount due than really, what is the detriment to mom? Nothing. So you all are going to sit here and advise OP to not even consider filing a police report that would help her credit immensely in the instance that her mother wouldn't even go to jail?

The smartest thing would be to get an idea of what the actual consequences are of filing the report, and proceed from there. But automatically assuming that the consequence is going to be that mom is going to be prosecuted for five class three felonies and put in jail doesn't make any sort of sense.

OP doesn't want her mother in jail, fine. But if there would be no consequence, or if its a matter of a small fine and a misdemeanor charge with no jail time its something that OP should consider. Her mother did fuck up, and that fuck up WILL impact OP's life for a long time. Taking a small fine and a misdemeanor charge with no jail time so that OP can have decent credit doesn't seem like its throwing mom under the bus, or ruining mom's life.....and certainly, no more than mom has ruined OP's life. Someone has to pay the price for OP's mother's mistake, and if the price is that low, maybe it should be OP's mother.

Jail is a disproportionate response.

elendinel

Silver

Postby elendinel » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:40 pm

lawman84 wrote:I think you're generalizing rather than putting things into context. You say "depending on the circumstances." That's the entire point here. Many of us don't think the circumstances warrant it here. I haven't seen anyone say that you should never turn a parent in for any reason. We're simply responding to OP's unfortunate scenario (in a completely unhelpful way).

Well, that's not quite true. No one's said that they wouldn't turn their mom in even if she killed a thousand people, sure, but plenty of people have said that a credit score categorically is not worth turning in a mother. At best "depending on the circumstances" hasn't really been based on OP's particular circumstances, so much as it's been whether or not people feel it's fair or the sign of a sociopath to turn in a mother for a credit score, regardless of the circumstances of what this particular mother did.

E.g.

...Not to mention this is his/her mother you schmuck. JFC man. ... You're suggesting a fucking credit score is more important than your mother?!?!

I just couldn't conceive of screwing my mother over for my credit score, even if she deserved it. It's a credit score; she's family.

I do agree that this is all a moot point considering OP does not want to pursue charges, but to say that everyone is taking all the circumstances into account is a bit disingenuous. Many people are indeed getting stuck at "But it's your mom, bro." And I agree with everyone who's said that it's fine to feel that way, but that it is 100% valid and not crazy for someone to think that committing felony crimes against your child waives your right to not get charges filed against you, as well. I think it is 100% possible and reasonable to have a great relationship with a parent and still feel like something that serious would cross a line. Either position is equally rational, here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:05 am

lawman84 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
lawman84 wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:...

How is your relationship with your parents? I don't mean this in an insulting way. I just couldn't conceive of screwing my mother over for my credit score, even if she deserved it. It's a credit score; she's family. She sacrificed so much to make me the person I am today. Now, I do have a close relationship with my parents. I could see how someone might feel differently if they had a strained relationship with their parents.

Not that I agree with rcharter necessarily, but I'm guessing you wouldn't have a close relationship with your parents any longer if they did to you what OP's parents did to OP.

I'd be pretty devastated, but I think I could forgive my mother if she tried to make it right. She's earned that.

The disconnect is that the type of person that does this to a child, typically (maybe not always, but typically) has not earned that.

My mother has earned forgiveness for something like this too with all that she has done for me--but she would never do something like this, and that is exactly why she has earned such forgiveness.

I'd be quite surprised if OP's mom was Mother Theresa before this incident.

ookoshi

Bronze

Postby ookoshi » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:21 pm

I'm surprised. Did no one think to give the OP the advice:

Talk to your C&F lawyer and stop posting here. A good C&F lawyer will have better advice than TLS, and additionally, your statements which contain potentially damaging admissions to your lawyer is confidential, while posting on TLS, even anonymously, does not carry any legal protections.

The fact pattern is unique enough that posting anonymously isn't really going to keep the OP truly anonymous, not to mention the state bar could simply ask the OP, "Did you make this post?" at a C&F hearing, should that occur.

Npret

Silver

Postby Npret » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:28 pm

ookoshi wrote:I'm surprised. Did no one think to give the OP the advice:

Talk to your C&F lawyer and stop posting here. A good C&F lawyer will have better advice than TLS, and additionally, your statements which contain potentially damaging admissions to your lawyer is confidential, while posting on TLS, even anonymously, does not carry any legal protections.

The fact pattern is unique enough that posting anonymously isn't really going to keep the OP truly anonymous, not to mention the state bar could simply ask the OP, "Did you make this post?" at a C&F hearing, should that occur.

You think OP is the only bar applicant in California that has issues with debt or poor credit?

ookoshi

Bronze

Postby ookoshi » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:05 pm

Npret wrote:You think OP is the only bar applicant in California that has issues with debt or poor credit?

Where the applicant's mom has opened five accounts in their name, currently applying for fitness right now? Possibly.

The problem is, what happens if the C&F attorney says to the OP, "In the interest of candor, you are better of if you disclose X, Y, and Z details of your mom's actions for C&F purposes, even if you choose not to report her to the police?" The C&F attorney may have specific advice as to what details the OP should disclose that would satisfy the C&F board without admitting anything that may negatively affect the OP. Why take the chance that some attorney working for the state bar should happen to be a lurker on TLS and takes an interest in a thread conveniently named "CA C&F"?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:08 pm

This is not an unusual or unique situation.

OP: What type of purchases were made ? Did you benefit from them ?

If the cards are paid off, then you might consider hiring a debtor's rights practitioner to help clean-up the charge-offs.

Be careful as you could make matters worse for you. It is not a big deal if the debts have been repaid.

Return to “Legal Employment�