CA C&F: Mom opened up 5 credit cards in my name and ruined credit

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 324926
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

CA C&F: Mom opened up 5 credit cards in my name and ruined credit

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:10 pm

Hi TLS,

I discovered last month that my mom had opened five credit cards in my name, ran up a substantial amount of debt, and then did not pay on the cards. My credit score dropped more than 300 points as a result (also ruining my current search for a new apartment).

The only way I could have the debts removed from my report would be to file a police report against my mom and subject her to five 3rd degree felonies (which, as awful as this situation is, I will not do). I forced my mom to sell a property she owned to pay off the debts, and she just paid all of these debts in full. I know I'm late applying for the C&F, but I wanted to hold off until these debts were paid.

The CA moral character application only inquires as to debts that are past due, so I don't technically have any and can answer no to this question. I'm not sure, however, if I should include an addendum explaining my horrific credit score and include confirmation that these debts were paid?

My mom has stated that she would be willing to submit an affidavit to the state bar explaining the situation, if necessary. Could this potentially expose her to any criminal liability (she opened the cards in a different state)? Or should I just answer no for now and then explain the situation later if necessary?

*Note* I am also planning on speaking with either a C&F attorney or a professor at my school in the next week. I would really appreciate any help TLS can offer, though.

Thank you so much!

User avatar
emkay625

Gold
Posts: 1987
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: CA C&F: Mom opened up 5 credit cards in my name and ruined credit

Postby emkay625 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:30 pm

As you know/stated above, you should speak with a C&F attorney.

But if the question is simply "list all outstanding debts that are past due" and you have no debts that are past due, I don't see the problem with just writing "none." That is the correct and true answer to the question.

But yeah, talk to a C&F attorney.

Anonymous User
Posts: 324926
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CA C&F: Mom opened up 5 credit cards in my name and ruined credit

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:34 pm

emkay625 wrote:As you know/stated above, you should speak with a C&F attorney.

But if the question is simply "list all outstanding debts that are past due" and you have no debts that are past due, I don't see the problem with just writing "none." That is the correct and true answer to the question.

But yeah, talk to a C&F attorney.

Should definitely talk to a C&F attorney. Note though, many states ask if you have EVER had a debt past 90 days, had a card revoked etc.

CanadianWolf

Diamond
Posts: 10722
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: CA C&F: Mom opened up 5 credit cards in my name and ruined credit

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:37 pm

Keep your Mom out of this. You can explain the situation without the need for any writings from your Mom. The debts are paid. You paid them in full even though they were not incurred by you & the accounts were not opened with your knowledge. You probably benefitted from these credit cards in some respect, however. For example, your Mom may have paid for some of your clothes, furnishings, trips, books, etc. Therefore, in my opinion, it is best to just state that you didn't open the accounts, you didn't know about them until too late, but that you paid off all of the obligations. It might help to open up a credit monitoring account to prevent any future reoccurrence.

pml87

New
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:29 pm

Re: CA C&F: Mom opened up 5 credit cards in my name and ruined credit

Postby pml87 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:29 pm

That is a crazy situation you were in. I feel for you. I do recall the state bar is using the information you provided STRICTLY for the purpose of determining bar membership, so unlikely to affect your mom. But do read the state bar rules.

User avatar
rcharter1978

Gold
Posts: 4275
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:49 pm

Re: CA C&F: Mom opened up 5 credit cards in my name and ruined credit

Postby rcharter1978 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:48 pm

Tell the truth. They can, and will ask for a credit report, and you don't want this coming out without having explained it. Or have them think that you were trying to hide it from them.

I have no idea what your mother was going through, but at this point if she faces criminal penalty for what she did, its better than you not being able to move forward as an attorney. I'm not sure if filing the affidavit would expose her to criminal liability.

Frankly, since I don't think your mom would really face any time, I would have told you to file the police report, since I think she should feel bad enough to be okay with it and its highly unlikely she would do any jail time for it given the prison overcrowding situation.

Of course if your mother is ill or infirm or something along those lines I guess don't risk her health. But your mother should feel legitimately awful for putting such a burden on you that will follow you into the future, and I know that my mother would be writing the police report herself.

CanadianWolf

Diamond
Posts: 10722
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: CA C&F: Mom opened up 5 credit cards in my name and ruined credit

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:23 pm

Avoid affidavits & forget about filing criminal charges against your mother. Enroll in a credit monitoring service & explain the situation in a manner that avoids casting blame; focus on how you were responsible in fully paying back debts that were incurred on your behalf without your knowledge or approval.
Better to forget about law school than to indict your mother.

CanadianWolf

Diamond
Posts: 10722
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: CA C&F: Mom opened up 5 credit cards in my name and ruined credit

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:24 pm

OP: You've already handled this matter in a mature & responsible fashion. That is what you need to share with state bars. Forget blaming anyone else & do not allow your mother to file any statements at all, and certainly not under oath.

User avatar
Mr. Archer

Bronze
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:08 pm

Re: CA C&F: Mom opened up 5 credit cards in my name and ruined credit

Postby Mr. Archer » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:31 pm

It's a tough situation. Maybe you could mention that someone opened credit cards in your name without saying it was your mother. But I don't agree about not "blaming" anyone. You didn't open the cards or rack up the debt, so you shouldn't act like you did. In any case, this is really something for a C&F attorney to advise you to do.

Npret

Silver
Posts: 1355
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:42 am

Re: CA C&F: Mom opened up 5 credit cards in my name and ruined credit

Postby Npret » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:04 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:Tell the truth. They can, and will ask for a credit report, and you don't want this coming out without having explained it. Or have them think that you were trying to hide it from them.

I have no idea what your mother was going through, but at this point if she faces criminal penalty for what she did, its better than you not being able to move forward as an attorney. I'm not sure if filing the affidavit would expose her to criminal liability.

Frankly, since I don't think your mom would really face any time, I would have told you to file the police report, since I think she should feel bad enough to be okay with it and its highly unlikely she would do any jail time for it given the prison overcrowding situation.

Of course if your mother is ill or infirm or something along those lines I guess don't risk her health. But your mother should feel legitimately awful for putting such a burden on you that will follow you into the future, and I know that my mother would be writing the police report herself.

This is very terrible advice. You're going to have him turn his mom in after she paid off the debt? And face felonies? Are you insane? You should just not contribute to this discussion. There's not a C and F attorney in the world that would tell you to turn on your mom in this situation.

Get a good attorney and get good advice. You can deal with this without ruining your mothers life

User avatar
rcharter1978

Gold
Posts: 4275
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:49 pm

Re: CA C&F: Mom opened up 5 credit cards in my name and ruined credit

Postby rcharter1978 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:36 pm

Npret wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:Tell the truth. They can, and will ask for a credit report, and you don't want this coming out without having explained it. Or have them think that you were trying to hide it from them.

I have no idea what your mother was going through, but at this point if she faces criminal penalty for what she did, its better than you not being able to move forward as an attorney. I'm not sure if filing the affidavit would expose her to criminal liability.

Frankly, since I don't think your mom would really face any time, I would have told you to file the police report, since I think she should feel bad enough to be okay with it and its highly unlikely she would do any jail time for it given the prison overcrowding situation.

Of course if your mother is ill or infirm or something along those lines I guess don't risk her health. But your mother should feel legitimately awful for putting such a burden on you that will follow you into the future, and I know that my mother would be writing the police report herself.

This is very terrible advice. You're going to have him turn his mom in after she paid off the debt? And face felonies? Are you insane? You should just not contribute to this discussion. There's not a C and F attorney in the world that would tell you to turn on your mom in this situation.

Get a good attorney and get good advice. You can deal with this without ruining your mothers life


LOL. You haven't thought it through. Here is what we DO know.

1) Without reporting this to the police OP WILL definitely be walking around with shitty credit, which WILL definitely effect her when she applies for jobs, when she tries to get an apartment, when she tries to buy a house.

2) reporting this to the police will definitely help to get this off her credit as fast as possible so she isn't walking around with that burden

3) if OP is going through the C&F process its likely she will want to be able to have the ease to move from firm to firm and from place to play. Bad credit limits that ability

4) even IF the debt is paid off, her credit is shitty, and will remain shitty for a long time

Here is what we DO NOT know

1) if the police would even bother to file felony charges since the debt has already been paid.

However, if one were to make an educated guess, and not live life according to a Tupac song its highly unlikely that the police are going to file felony charges, or have this woman in jail when the debts have been repaid. There simply is no upside to it for the police. Whatever restitution there may have been has already been paid. In all likelihood they would simply let it go. Especially if OP doesn't want to pursue it.

So, the situation is a definite harm of bad credit consequences that will follow OP around for years vs. the tiny chance that anyone would prosecute her mother and "ruin her life."

BUT, there would be a record somewhere in case OP's mother decides that this is something cute to try to another one of her children. Because remember OP had to force her mother to pay this debt off, and mom may not be in such a giving mood if she does this to another family member, child or friend.

I'm sorry...are you a C&F attorney? Because counseling your client to ruin her life over the small possibility of anything happening to her mother at this point sounds like pretty awful advice.

I can tell you right now, as sure as I exist that the California C&F people can, and often WILL ask for a credit report. And if they get the impression that you have been trying to hide something from them, you are in BIG trouble.

ClubberLang

Bronze
Posts: 299
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 11:34 am

Re: CA C&F: Mom opened up 5 credit cards in my name and ruined credit

Postby ClubberLang » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:13 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:
Npret wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:Tell the truth. They can, and will ask for a credit report, and you don't want this coming out without having explained it. Or have them think that you were trying to hide it from them.

I have no idea what your mother was going through, but at this point if she faces criminal penalty for what she did, its better than you not being able to move forward as an attorney. I'm not sure if filing the affidavit would expose her to criminal liability.

Frankly, since I don't think your mom would really face any time, I would have told you to file the police report, since I think she should feel bad enough to be okay with it and its highly unlikely she would do any jail time for it given the prison overcrowding situation.

Of course if your mother is ill or infirm or something along those lines I guess don't risk her health. But your mother should feel legitimately awful for putting such a burden on you that will follow you into the future, and I know that my mother would be writing the police report herself.

This is very terrible advice. You're going to have him turn his mom in after she paid off the debt? And face felonies? Are you insane? You should just not contribute to this discussion. There's not a C and F attorney in the world that would tell you to turn on your mom in this situation.

Get a good attorney and get good advice. You can deal with this without ruining your mothers life


LOL. You haven't thought it through. Here is what we DO know.

1) Without reporting this to the police OP WILL definitely be walking around with shitty credit, which WILL definitely effect her when she applies for jobs, when she tries to get an apartment, when she tries to buy a house.

2) reporting this to the police will definitely help to get this off her credit as fast as possible so she isn't walking around with that burden

3) if OP is going through the C&F process its likely she will want to be able to have the ease to move from firm to firm and from place to play. Bad credit limits that ability

4) even IF the debt is paid off, her credit is shitty, and will remain shitty for a long time

Here is what we DO NOT know

1) if the police would even bother to file felony charges since the debt has already been paid.

However, if one were to make an educated guess, and not live life according to a Tupac song its highly unlikely that the police are going to file felony charges, or have this woman in jail when the debts have been repaid. There simply is no upside to it for the police. Whatever restitution there may have been has already been paid. In all likelihood they would simply let it go. Especially if OP doesn't want to pursue it.

So, the situation is a definite harm of bad credit consequences that will follow OP around for years vs. the tiny chance that anyone would prosecute her mother and "ruin her life."

BUT, there would be a record somewhere in case OP's mother decides that this is something cute to try to another one of her children. Because remember OP had to force her mother to pay this debt off, and mom may not be in such a giving mood if she does this to another family member, child or friend.

I'm sorry...are you a C&F attorney? Because counseling your client to ruin her life over the small possibility of anything happening to her mother at this point sounds like pretty awful advice.

I can tell you right now, as sure as I exist that the California C&F people can, and often WILL ask for a credit report. And if they get the impression that you have been trying to hide something from them, you are in BIG trouble.


I agree with the other guy. You're insane and this is terrible advice. Whether filing a police report will clear the credit situation or not is most certainly an unknown. I wonder what basis you have for stating "its highly unlikely the police are going to file felony charges." Not to mention this is his/her mother you schmuck. JFC man. Your logical reasoning skills are poor and you are heartless. Mom's obviously having some issues, and sold property off to pay the debt. You're suggesting a fucking credit score is more important than your mother?!?!
Last edited by ClubberLang on Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 324926
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CA C&F: Mom opened up 5 credit cards in my name and ruined credit

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:17 pm

OP here. Thanks for the responses and sympathy everyone. I really appreciate it.

I'm going to look for C&F attorneys tomorrow and schedule an appointment with one. I've also enrolled in a credit monitoring service and have had new cards issued for the accounts she opened that were not already closed by the creditor. I'll update the thread when I find out what I should do.

This is definitely the craziest thing I've ever gone through, and it's already had a major impact on my life. My partner and I are trying to move from a studio to a 1bd, and we've been getting rejected for apartments we're more than qualified for, even with cosigners.

It's especially difficult because I wouldn't even be in the position of applying to take the bar exam if it wasn't for my mom and all the sacrifices she made. She just genuinely does not understand how credit works (she was under the impression that my credit would go back to normal once the debts were paid and had no idea this could impact my bar eligibility).

User avatar
rcharter1978

Gold
Posts: 4275
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:49 pm

Re: CA C&F: Mom opened up 5 credit cards in my name and ruined credit

Postby rcharter1978 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:21 pm

ClubberLang wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:
Npret wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:Tell the truth. They can, and will ask for a credit report, and you don't want this coming out without having explained it. Or have them think that you were trying to hide it from them.

I have no idea what your mother was going through, but at this point if she faces criminal penalty for what she did, its better than you not being able to move forward as an attorney. I'm not sure if filing the affidavit would expose her to criminal liability.

Frankly, since I don't think your mom would really face any time, I would have told you to file the police report, since I think she should feel bad enough to be okay with it and its highly unlikely she would do any jail time for it given the prison overcrowding situation.

Of course if your mother is ill or infirm or something along those lines I guess don't risk her health. But your mother should feel legitimately awful for putting such a burden on you that will follow you into the future, and I know that my mother would be writing the police report herself.

This is very terrible advice. You're going to have him turn his mom in after she paid off the debt? And face felonies? Are you insane? You should just not contribute to this discussion. There's not a C and F attorney in the world that would tell you to turn on your mom in this situation.

Get a good attorney and get good advice. You can deal with this without ruining your mothers life


LOL. You haven't thought it through. Here is what we DO know.

1) Without reporting this to the police OP WILL definitely be walking around with shitty credit, which WILL definitely effect her when she applies for jobs, when she tries to get an apartment, when she tries to buy a house.

2) reporting this to the police will definitely help to get this off her credit as fast as possible so she isn't walking around with that burden

3) if OP is going through the C&F process its likely she will want to be able to have the ease to move from firm to firm and from place to play. Bad credit limits that ability

4) even IF the debt is paid off, her credit is shitty, and will remain shitty for a long time

Here is what we DO NOT know

1) if the police would even bother to file felony charges since the debt has already been paid.

However, if one were to make an educated guess, and not live life according to a Tupac song its highly unlikely that the police are going to file felony charges, or have this woman in jail when the debts have been repaid. There simply is no upside to it for the police. Whatever restitution there may have been has already been paid. In all likelihood they would simply let it go. Especially if OP doesn't want to pursue it.

So, the situation is a definite harm of bad credit consequences that will follow OP around for years vs. the tiny chance that anyone would prosecute her mother and "ruin her life."

BUT, there would be a record somewhere in case OP's mother decides that this is something cute to try to another one of her children. Because remember OP had to force her mother to pay this debt off, and mom may not be in such a giving mood if she does this to another family member, child or friend.

I'm sorry...are you a C&F attorney? Because counseling your client to ruin her life over the small possibility of anything happening to her mother at this point sounds like pretty awful advice.

I can tell you right now, as sure as I exist that the California C&F people can, and often WILL ask for a credit report. And if they get the impression that you have been trying to hide something from them, you are in BIG trouble.


I agree with the other guy. You're insane and this is terrible advice. Whether filing a police report will clear the credit situation or not is most certainly an unknown. I wonder what basis you have for stating "its highly unlikely the police are going to file felony charges." Not to mention this is his/her mother you schmuck. JFC man. You're logical reasoning skills are poor and you are heartless. Mom's obviously having some issues, and sold property off to pay the debt. You're suggesting a fucking credit score is more important than your mother?!?!


OP says in her initial post that the only way to clear her credit is to file a police report. Maybe read that first?

The basis for "its highly unlikely the police will file charges" is the fact that it is. Prison overcrowding, straining of prosecutorial resources, the fact that this is within a family, the fact that the debt have been paid are all things that make it unlikely for the police/prosecution to pursue a case

Yeah, this is his/her mother. A mother who ran up credit cards in her name with no remorse. A mother who the OP had to force to pay back the debt. A mother who, without being forced, would have been perfectly fine with their own child having shitty credit that would limit them in life. Any decent parent would have gone to the police themselves or paid off the bills without having to be forced to do so.

LOL, what is the basis for your assumption that "mom's obviously having some issues?" The fact that she did it? Or the fact that she had to be forced to make it right? Mom was forced by OP to sell off property to pay the debt. She did not do so voluntarily.

I'm suggesting that the OP being able to live a life free of the struggle of a bad credit score is worth the small risk that mom has to actually answer for the shitty thing she has done. Something which her mom should be more than willing to do. She had a property she could borrow against/sell in order to raise capital, or that she could have used to pay off the credit cards, but instead she chose to fuck up her kids credit. Yeah, I'm not going to lose sleep over the slight possibility that this woman has to face her consequences.

User avatar
rcharter1978

Gold
Posts: 4275
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:49 pm

Re: CA C&F: Mom opened up 5 credit cards in my name and ruined credit

Postby rcharter1978 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Thanks for the responses and sympathy everyone. I really appreciate it.

I'm going to look for C&F attorneys tomorrow and schedule an appointment with one. I've also enrolled in a credit monitoring service and have had new cards issued for the accounts she opened that were not already closed by the creditor. I'll update the thread when I find out what I should do.

This is definitely the craziest thing I've ever gone through, and it's already had a major impact on my life. My partner and I are trying to move from a studio to a 1bd, and we've been getting rejected for apartments we're more than qualified for, even with cosigners.

It's especially difficult because I wouldn't even be in the position of applying to take the bar exam if it wasn't for my mom and all the sacrifices she made. She just genuinely does not understand how credit works (she was under the impression that my credit would go back to normal once the debts were paid and had no idea this could impact my bar eligibility).


Does your mother have good credit?

Because if she does, she should have gotten her own credit cards and run them through the roof.

If she doesn't, she knows full well that just paying bad debt doesn't return your credit score to good.

We all want our parents to be perfect saints, and I'm no different. But everyone is fallible in their own way, and maybe this is your mother's. If it is, will she do this to your siblings or other family members?

And now that she knows that all of this is going to follow you around for years and years and will have a major impact on your life, what does she propose to do about it? If her proposition is to just sort of shrug her shoulders and let you deal with it, I think that sucks.

But keep us updated, I'll be interested to hear with the C&F attorney says. But I promise you that my C&F analyst asked for a copy of my credit report, and there were no flags to indicate that credit would be an issue, and it isn't. I was fine sending in a credit report.

Its just to say that the analyst asked for a credit report even though there is nothing to give any indication that my credit would be an issue. And if the analyst gets an idea that you're trying to hide something it just opens up a can of worms.

Good luck either way -- what a shitty situation to be in.

ClubberLang

Bronze
Posts: 299
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 11:34 am

Re: CA C&F: Mom opened up 5 credit cards in my name and ruined credit

Postby ClubberLang » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:42 pm

rcharter1978 wrote:
ClubberLang wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:
Npret wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:Tell the truth. They can, and will ask for a credit report, and you don't want this coming out without having explained it. Or have them think that you were trying to hide it from them.

I have no idea what your mother was going through, but at this point if she faces criminal penalty for what she did, its better than you not being able to move forward as an attorney. I'm not sure if filing the affidavit would expose her to criminal liability.

Frankly, since I don't think your mom would really face any time, I would have told you to file the police report, since I think she should feel bad enough to be okay with it and its highly unlikely she would do any jail time for it given the prison overcrowding situation.

Of course if your mother is ill or infirm or something along those lines I guess don't risk her health. But your mother should feel legitimately awful for putting such a burden on you that will follow you into the future, and I know that my mother would be writing the police report herself.

This is very terrible advice. You're going to have him turn his mom in after she paid off the debt? And face felonies? Are you insane? You should just not contribute to this discussion. There's not a C and F attorney in the world that would tell you to turn on your mom in this situation.

Get a good attorney and get good advice. You can deal with this without ruining your mothers life


LOL. You haven't thought it through. Here is what we DO know.

1) Without reporting this to the police OP WILL definitely be walking around with shitty credit, which WILL definitely effect her when she applies for jobs, when she tries to get an apartment, when she tries to buy a house.

2) reporting this to the police will definitely help to get this off her credit as fast as possible so she isn't walking around with that burden

3) if OP is going through the C&F process its likely she will want to be able to have the ease to move from firm to firm and from place to play. Bad credit limits that ability

4) even IF the debt is paid off, her credit is shitty, and will remain shitty for a long time

Here is what we DO NOT know

1) if the police would even bother to file felony charges since the debt has already been paid.

However, if one were to make an educated guess, and not live life according to a Tupac song its highly unlikely that the police are going to file felony charges, or have this woman in jail when the debts have been repaid. There simply is no upside to it for the police. Whatever restitution there may have been has already been paid. In all likelihood they would simply let it go. Especially if OP doesn't want to pursue it.

So, the situation is a definite harm of bad credit consequences that will follow OP around for years vs. the tiny chance that anyone would prosecute her mother and "ruin her life."

BUT, there would be a record somewhere in case OP's mother decides that this is something cute to try to another one of her children. Because remember OP had to force her mother to pay this debt off, and mom may not be in such a giving mood if she does this to another family member, child or friend.

I'm sorry...are you a C&F attorney? Because counseling your client to ruin her life over the small possibility of anything happening to her mother at this point sounds like pretty awful advice.

I can tell you right now, as sure as I exist that the California C&F people can, and often WILL ask for a credit report. And if they get the impression that you have been trying to hide something from them, you are in BIG trouble.


I agree with the other guy. You're insane and this is terrible advice. Whether filing a police report will clear the credit situation or not is most certainly an unknown. I wonder what basis you have for stating "its highly unlikely the police are going to file felony charges." Not to mention this is his/her mother you schmuck. JFC man. You're logical reasoning skills are poor and you are heartless. Mom's obviously having some issues, and sold property off to pay the debt. You're suggesting a fucking credit score is more important than your mother?!?!


OP says in her initial post that the only way to clear her credit is to file a police report. Maybe read that first?

The basis for "its highly unlikely the police will file charges" is the fact that it is. Prison overcrowding, straining of prosecutorial resources, the fact that this is within a family, the fact that the debt have been paid are all things that make it unlikely for the police/prosecution to pursue a case

Yeah, this is his/her mother. A mother who ran up credit cards in her name with no remorse. A mother who the OP had to force to pay back the debt. A mother who, without being forced, would have been perfectly fine with their own child having shitty credit that would limit them in life. Any decent parent would have gone to the police themselves or paid off the bills without having to be forced to do so.

LOL, what is the basis for your assumption that "mom's obviously having some issues?" The fact that she did it? Or the fact that she had to be forced to make it right? Mom was forced by OP to sell off property to pay the debt. She did not do so voluntarily.

I'm suggesting that the OP being able to live a life free of the struggle of a bad credit score is worth the small risk that mom has to actually answer for the shitty thing she has done. Something which her mom should be more than willing to do. She had a property she could borrow against/sell in order to raise capital, or that she could have used to pay off the credit cards, but instead she chose to fuck up her kids credit. Yeah, I'm not going to lose sleep over the slight possibility that this woman has to face her consequences.


It truly takes someone with the logical reasoning skills of a flea to rationalize selling out your mother to improve your credit score. Just because OP said "the only way to clear her credit is to file a police report" does not mean "reporting this to the police will definitely help to get this off her credit as fast as possible" as you say.

I was not aware that prison overcrowding meant that financial crimes were no longer prosecuted. And "straining of prosecutorial resources?" That's a good one. Open season on crime I guess because of prison overcrowding and strain on prosecutorial resources. You also seem to know a lot about mom. There's no way this issue keeps OP from getting admitted if he explains it. The shit credit score sucks, but its not the end of the world. OP says he/she has mom to thank. Life isn't always perfect. That doesn't mean you sell out your mother. Dick.

User avatar
rcharter1978

Gold
Posts: 4275
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:49 pm

Re: CA C&F: Mom opened up 5 credit cards in my name and ruined credit

Postby rcharter1978 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:03 am

ClubberLang wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:
ClubberLang wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:
Npret wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:Tell the truth. They can, and will ask for a credit report, and you don't want this coming out without having explained it. Or have them think that you were trying to hide it from them.

I have no idea what your mother was going through, but at this point if she faces criminal penalty for what she did, its better than you not being able to move forward as an attorney. I'm not sure if filing the affidavit would expose her to criminal liability.

Frankly, since I don't think your mom would really face any time, I would have told you to file the police report, since I think she should feel bad enough to be okay with it and its highly unlikely she would do any jail time for it given the prison overcrowding situation.

Of course if your mother is ill or infirm or something along those lines I guess don't risk her health. But your mother should feel legitimately awful for putting such a burden on you that will follow you into the future, and I know that my mother would be writing the police report herself.

This is very terrible advice. You're going to have him turn his mom in after she paid off the debt? And face felonies? Are you insane? You should just not contribute to this discussion. There's not a C and F attorney in the world that would tell you to turn on your mom in this situation.

Get a good attorney and get good advice. You can deal with this without ruining your mothers life


LOL. You haven't thought it through. Here is what we DO know.

1) Without reporting this to the police OP WILL definitely be walking around with shitty credit, which WILL definitely effect her when she applies for jobs, when she tries to get an apartment, when she tries to buy a house.

2) reporting this to the police will definitely help to get this off her credit as fast as possible so she isn't walking around with that burden

3) if OP is going through the C&F process its likely she will want to be able to have the ease to move from firm to firm and from place to play. Bad credit limits that ability

4) even IF the debt is paid off, her credit is shitty, and will remain shitty for a long time

Here is what we DO NOT know

1) if the police would even bother to file felony charges since the debt has already been paid.

However, if one were to make an educated guess, and not live life according to a Tupac song its highly unlikely that the police are going to file felony charges, or have this woman in jail when the debts have been repaid. There simply is no upside to it for the police. Whatever restitution there may have been has already been paid. In all likelihood they would simply let it go. Especially if OP doesn't want to pursue it.

So, the situation is a definite harm of bad credit consequences that will follow OP around for years vs. the tiny chance that anyone would prosecute her mother and "ruin her life."

BUT, there would be a record somewhere in case OP's mother decides that this is something cute to try to another one of her children. Because remember OP had to force her mother to pay this debt off, and mom may not be in such a giving mood if she does this to another family member, child or friend.

I'm sorry...are you a C&F attorney? Because counseling your client to ruin her life over the small possibility of anything happening to her mother at this point sounds like pretty awful advice.

I can tell you right now, as sure as I exist that the California C&F people can, and often WILL ask for a credit report. And if they get the impression that you have been trying to hide something from them, you are in BIG trouble.


I agree with the other guy. You're insane and this is terrible advice. Whether filing a police report will clear the credit situation or not is most certainly an unknown. I wonder what basis you have for stating "its highly unlikely the police are going to file felony charges." Not to mention this is his/her mother you schmuck. JFC man. You're logical reasoning skills are poor and you are heartless. Mom's obviously having some issues, and sold property off to pay the debt. You're suggesting a fucking credit score is more important than your mother?!?!


OP says in her initial post that the only way to clear her credit is to file a police report. Maybe read that first?

The basis for "its highly unlikely the police will file charges" is the fact that it is. Prison overcrowding, straining of prosecutorial resources, the fact that this is within a family, the fact that the debt have been paid are all things that make it unlikely for the police/prosecution to pursue a case

Yeah, this is his/her mother. A mother who ran up credit cards in her name with no remorse. A mother who the OP had to force to pay back the debt. A mother who, without being forced, would have been perfectly fine with their own child having shitty credit that would limit them in life. Any decent parent would have gone to the police themselves or paid off the bills without having to be forced to do so.

LOL, what is the basis for your assumption that "mom's obviously having some issues?" The fact that she did it? Or the fact that she had to be forced to make it right? Mom was forced by OP to sell off property to pay the debt. She did not do so voluntarily.

I'm suggesting that the OP being able to live a life free of the struggle of a bad credit score is worth the small risk that mom has to actually answer for the shitty thing she has done. Something which her mom should be more than willing to do. She had a property she could borrow against/sell in order to raise capital, or that she could have used to pay off the credit cards, but instead she chose to fuck up her kids credit. Yeah, I'm not going to lose sleep over the slight possibility that this woman has to face her consequences.


It truly takes someone with the logical reasoning skills of a flea to rationalize selling out your mother to improve your credit score. Just because OP said "the only way to clear her credit is to file a police report" does not mean "reporting this to the police will definitely help to get this off her credit as fast as possible" as you say.

I was not aware that prison overcrowding meant that financial crimes were no longer prosecuted. And "straining of prosecutorial resources?" That's a good one. Open season on crime I guess because of prison overcrowding and strain on prosecutorial resources. You also seem to know a lot about mom. There's no way this issue keeps OP from getting admitted if he explains it. The shit credit score sucks, but its not the end of the world. OP says he/she has mom to thank. Life isn't always perfect. That doesn't mean you sell out your mother. Dick.


Your post makes no sense at all, but I'll try to respond.

Selling out your mother to save yourself is the epitome of logical reasoning. Emotional reasoning dictates that you protect the woman who had no problem ruining your credit and had to be forced to pay off the debts she ran up.

Actually, "the only way to clear her credit" is pretty much the same as saying that reporting it to the police is the only thing that will definitely get this off of her credit report as fast as possible. If she doesn't report it, it just lingers there...fucking up OPs life at every turn.

The rest of your post makes even less sense, but I'll try to address it.

Jail/prison overcrowding along with a strain on prosecutorial resources means that a low level crime where restitution has already been made and there is no active complainant will not be any priority and will therefore unlikely be prosecuted. Very unlikely.

A shitty credit score will limit OP's ability to get housing (as they have pointed out) and may very well limit OP's ability to get certain positions (this is becoming more of an issue as more employers check credit reports, government positions check credit). Some employers will accept an affidavit from mom and some won't. At this point OP can't get an apartment EVEN with another person on the lease and EVEN with a co-signer. So this idea that you can just show up with an explanation and everyone is going to be cool is not really a thing. Some people are going to run your credit and thats just going to be the end of it.

You seem to act like you know a lot about mom based on nothing at all. You've suddenly woven her into this victim based on absolutely nothing. But, the fact that she had a home that she could use to raise money tells me that she had access to money, she just thought it would be better for her to run up her child's credit and simply not pay. Thereby leaving her child with a shit ton of bad debt. And that had OP not FORCED her to make it right, she would not have done so. This doesn't make her out to be a good person to me, no matter how much her child loves her.

But I'm sorry you're basing the fact that the mother is this great person "going through something" on what exactly?

LOL, everyone has their mother to thank for things, being a parent doesn't mean you get a golden pass to screw over your kids because you didn't feel like paying your bills.

Any reasonable parent would never have put their child in this position, especially when they had the ability to pay off the debt. No reasonable parent would have to be FORCED into making that right. And knowing that this is going to fuck up their child's life, a reasonable parent would be pro-active in doing whatever they could to fix the credit.

Also note, I NEVER said this issue would keep OP from being admitted. I told OP to tell the truth on her C&F, because they can and often will pull a credit report. And if OP does not disclose and her analyst thinks its because she was trying to hide a shitty credit history there is likely to be trouble.

What I DID say is that I think its silly for OP to not file the report since it is most certainly IS and will continue to mess up her life. She can get this bad debt off her credit by filing a report and it will not longer have that awful impact on her life. There is a very, very, very small possibility that her mother gets charged with anything, or "has her life ruined." And honestly, her mother should be more than willing to take that risk instead of sticking her child with the long term impact of what she decided to do.

You don't seem very bright, but you seem awful defensive. Are you running this scam on your friends and family?

User avatar
elendinel

Silver
Posts: 975
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:29 pm

Re: CA C&F: Mom opened up 5 credit cards in my name and ruined credit

Postby elendinel » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:24 am

If you have to disclose any large debts ever, you can probably say someone opened up a bunch of credit cards in your name, but that when you found out you immediately addressed the debt.

That said I think the convo above, which basically equates pressing charges to being a sociopath, is a little much. For sure OP, if the best path for you is to forgive and forget, please continue to do so; but it is not insane to press charges against someone who committed identity theft and then tried to leave you with the consequences, mother or not. Mom's excuse seems pretty shaky to me, coming from a family that also did those kinds of things.

User avatar
Desert Fox

Diamond
Posts: 18302
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:34 pm

Re: CA C&F: Mom opened up 5 credit cards in my name and ruined credit

Postby Desert Fox » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:33 am

Why do you need to point the finger at your mom in the police report? Can't you say, this wasn't me and make them prove it?
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

ClubberLang

Bronze
Posts: 299
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 11:34 am

Re: CA C&F: Mom opened up 5 credit cards in my name and ruined credit

Postby ClubberLang » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:48 am

rcharter1978 wrote:
Your post makes no sense at all, but I'll try to respond.
.
.
.
Actually, "the only way to clear her credit" is pretty much the same as saying that reporting it to the police is the only thing that will definitely get this off of her credit report as fast as possible. If she doesn't report it, it just lingers there...fucking up OPs life at every turn.
.
.
.
You don't seem very bright, but you seem awful defensive. Are you running this scam on your friends and family?


I am not surprised you did not understand my post. After all, you have the logical reasoning skills of a flea. "The only way to clear something off of a credit report" =/= "will definitely clear it it off credit report." By way of analogy, the only way I will become a billionaire is by winning the largest powerball jackpot in history, but playing the powerball does not mean this will happen.

And yes, I am running this scam on family and friends. Been doing it for years. The cops know about it too but there is so much prosecutorial strain and prisons are overcrowded anyway so they let me get away with it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 324926
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: CA C&F: Mom opened up 5 credit cards in my name and ruined credit

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:19 am

If your credit report is clean and clear, CA Bar no care. You don't have to explain that you had debt in the past. It's not a part of the questionnaire.

I speak from experience in 2015 applying with debt that no longer appears on my credit report. I just submitted a copy of my credit report showing no outstanding debt, and simply explaining to the effect that "I had debt in the past but they are all paid off now."

Why would they care about debt that doesn't exist anymore?

lavarman84

Platinum
Posts: 7697
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: CA C&F: Mom opened up 5 credit cards in my name and ruined credit

Postby lavarman84 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:46 am

rcharter1978 wrote:...


How is your relationship with your parents? I don't mean this in an insulting way. I just couldn't conceive of screwing my mother over for my credit score, even if she deserved it. It's a credit score; she's family. She sacrificed so much to make me the person I am today. Now, I do have a close relationship with my parents. I could see how someone might feel differently if they had a strained relationship with their parents.

RaceJudicata

Gold
Posts: 1702
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:51 pm

Re: CA C&F: Mom opened up 5 credit cards in my name and ruined credit

Postby RaceJudicata » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:09 am

Op - sorry you are going through this. As you have said, talking to a real California c&f attorney is the move here. It'll likely be worth whatever it costs. I'd also consider speaking with someone at your school - one of the deans at my school knows quit a bit about me this and has helped several people with c&f issues in the past.

Do your best to ignore those passing judgment on you/family. Shit happens, and the past is the past. A solution is really all that matters at this point. Good luck!

User avatar
rcharter1978

Gold
Posts: 4275
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:49 pm

Re: CA C&F: Mom opened up 5 credit cards in my name and ruined credit

Postby rcharter1978 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:16 am

lawman84 wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:...


How is your relationship with your parents? I don't mean this in an insulting way. I just couldn't conceive of screwing my mother over for my credit score, even if she deserved it. It's a credit score; she's family. She sacrificed so much to make me the person I am today. Now, I do have a close relationship with my parents. I could see how someone might feel differently if they had a strained relationship with their parents.


Im incredibly close to my parents. Neither of them would do this to me. Not even in their most desperate hour.

And I know without a shadow of a doubt that my mother would be the first person to file a police report on herself instead of leaving me blowing in the wind for something she did. Especially knowing that it could have such a terrible impact on my future.

My mother would never do this. Especially if she had a house that she could use and other resources. And if my mom knew, for even a solitary nanosecond that something she'd done like this had ruined my ability to find housing, or was hampering me in any way she wouldn't hesitate.

This is not to say my parents are perfect. But it is a far cry from "perfect" to "I fucked up your credit even though i had access to other ways of getting money and I had to be forced to make it right and I'll happily let you struggle with my crappy decision."

Parents should want to see their children happy and successful, not struggling under the strain of their terrible decisions.
Last edited by rcharter1978 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rcharter1978

Gold
Posts: 4275
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:49 pm

Re: CA C&F: Mom opened up 5 credit cards in my name and ruined credit

Postby rcharter1978 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:23 am

ClubberLang wrote:
rcharter1978 wrote:
Your post makes no sense at all, but I'll try to respond.
.
.
.
Actually, "the only way to clear her credit" is pretty much the same as saying that reporting it to the police is the only thing that will definitely get this off of her credit report as fast as possible. If she doesn't report it, it just lingers there...fucking up OPs life at every turn.
.
.
.
You don't seem very bright, but you seem awful defensive. Are you running this scam on your friends and family?


I am not surprised you did not understand my post. After all, you have the logical reasoning skills of a flea. "The only way to clear something off of a credit report" =/= "will definitely clear it it off credit report." By way of analogy, the only way I will become a billionaire is by winning the largest powerball jackpot in history, but playing the powerball does not mean this will happen.

And yes, I am running this scam on family and friends. Been doing it for years. The cops know about it too but there is so much prosecutorial strain and prisons are overcrowded anyway so they let me get away with it.


Actually that is exactly what it means and your analogy makes no sense. If OP files the report OP will get it off her credit. This is how people get bad shit off their credit. That is the procedure.

If you weren't able to suss that out from the OP, it's not me who has the problem with simple logic. OP was pretty clear about it. How you read that as a "maybe" is beyond me.

From experian "if you have a police report listing all the fraud accounts the credit beareaus must block fraudulent accounts from your credit report within 30 days. But this means you must file a police report first."

So, there ya go since you couldn't figure it out the first time. The accounts, which are dragging OPs credit down would be blocked from her credit report, thereby bringing her score back up.

Now, i can draw you pictures to explain this If you can't understand. Perhaps it's necessary since you aren't very bright.
Last edited by rcharter1978 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.