Cover letter typo Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cover letter typo

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:46 am

I'm a 1L sending out apps for summer employment.
After sending out several applications (one to a place I really, really wanted to work), I was tailoring my cover letter for my next app and saw this in the first paragraph:
" offfice."

I don't know how I didn't see it before, but I didn't. Is that typo going to kill me? Will that overshadow everything else on my application? I have previous experience working at a law firm, and I made decent grades first semester (3.62) at a t20. Should I just figure that everything I've already mailed out has been trashed?

I'm still mailing places with later deadlines, and the typo has been fixed (and everything else proofread again). How bad is an extra "f" in one word in a cover letter? I'm doomed everywhere the letter's been sent, right? :cry:

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: Cover letter typo

Post by rpupkin » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:07 am

Anonymous User wrote: I'm doomed everywhere the letter's been sent, right? :cry:
No. Some employers won't read the cover letter at all. Some will skim/read it and not notice the typo. Some will notice the typo and not care. Maybe a couple of places will notice the typo and ding you for it, but oh well.

This is a very minor thing that is unlikely to hurt you. Stop worrying about it.

favabeansoup

Bronze

Post by favabeansoup » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:16 am

I actually had a typo on my resume (albeit not in one of the obvious locations). Sent it out to like 150 firms. Had several interviews, ended up with biglaw, it never came up.

People don't spend as much time reading your materials as you think they do. If you are qualified enough to get through the door with grades and school, I wouldn't sweat it much.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:50 am

Thanks for the replies. Feeling a bit less suicidal now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”