Salaries at DLA Secondary Market Offices? (ENJOY this thread) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Salaries at DLA Secondary Market Offices? (ENJOY this thread)

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:28 pm

A family friend who is a partner at DLA Piper has offered to recommend me for a first-year associate position (even though I already have a BigLaw offer from my SA firm). It's in a secondary market – big city that doesn't have a ton of BL firms. Are their salaries universally 180k for first-years?

MrT

Bronze

Re: Salaries at DLA Secondary Market Offices? (ENJOY this thread)

Post by MrT » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:29 pm

According to Vault:

Base Salary
Atlanta, GA; Phoenix, AZ; Raleigh, NC; Short Hills, NJ;
1st year: $160,000
Summer associate: $2,788/week

All other U.S. Offices
1st year: $180,000
Summer associate: $3,076/week

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:38 pm

More important question--does anyone know how salary is calculated after first year? Is it still merit based or is it lockstep?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:07 pm

MrT wrote:According to Vault:

Base Salary
Atlanta, GA; Phoenix, AZ; Raleigh, NC; Short Hills, NJ;
1st year: $160,000
Summer associate: $2,788/week

All other U.S. Offices
1st year: $180,000
Summer associate: $3,076/week
OP here. How reliable is Vault on this info? I tend to use NALP (which has no info specific to my market), and always forget Vault has salary figures

Second anon - good question!!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:23 pm

Second anon here. Yeah--I have heard about a number of firms matching Cravath in form and then in substance not matching at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:24 pm

Second anon here. Yeah--I have heard about a number of firms matching Cravath in form and then in substance not matching at all.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:More important question--does anyone know how salary is calculated after first year? Is it still merit based or is it lockstep?
It's lockstep. Cravath scale for most markets. The Vault list looks generally right, though it's not like there's a way to find out our colleagues' salaries across markets. There was some consternation in Philly a while back about their salaries' being lower than NYC/DC/Baltimore, but they may have bumped it up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:More important question--does anyone know how salary is calculated after first year? Is it still merit based or is it lockstep?
It's lockstep. Cravath scale for most markets. The Vault list looks generally right, though it's not like there's a way to find out our colleagues' salaries across markets. There was some consternation in Philly a while back about their salaries' being lower than NYC/DC/Baltimore, but they may have bumped it up.
That's awesome to hear. I'm actually surprised they offer 180 at my non-ATL/Phoenix/Raleigh secondary market.

(OP)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:31 pm

second anon here. Could you provide any more info? Vault and other sources still say that DLA is merit-based. What does it take to ensure you get bumped to the next class level--meeting minimum billables? Or will you get bumped up even if you don't meet them?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:second anon here. Could you provide any more info? Vault and other sources still say that DLA is merit-based. What does it take to ensure you get bumped to the next class level--meeting minimum billables? Or will you get bumped up even if you don't meet them?
I'm sure the firm wants to keep some level of discretion as far as "merit"-based comp. My only non-anecdotal evidence for lockstep (which includes myself over multiple years) is that when they announced the $180K match, they sent a generic email to each office listing all classes instead of sending individual emails. You get bumped up if you don't meet your billables, but you don't get a bonus, and of course it's not good to miss your target. Bonuses are "merit"-based (i.e., hours) but have been about NYC market recently (again, anecdotal). We're still waiting on bonus announcements for 2016.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:03 pm

Any idea on when 2016 bonuses come out? Any murmur on whether they'll be market? Did they talk to you during your review about getting bumped in any way--in the sense that they could have docked you? I can see a strong incentive to put out a lockstep, Cravath-match scale but then not keep it up behind closed doors?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”