Biglaw health insurance, actual numbers

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Biglaw health insurance, actual numbers

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:00 am

Npret wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Since no one else is atually biting, I will. V20.

Prices are single/single+1/family per month:

Cheapest plan is 310/655/990
HDHP is 360/757/1140
1700/3400/5100 deductible is 620/1250/1870
Zero deductible is 1020/2045/2990

Are those your actual payments or just the total price of the plan? Because no matter how bad the health plan is, $310 a month sounds way off (especially compared to the more reasonable/expected prices quoted elsewhere).

I paid ~$567 a month for two people on United Health Care including Delta Dental with a cap of a couple grand and EyeMed which gets you an eye exam and heavy discounts on 2 pairs of prescription glasses.
Be aware that the payment is out of your check so it doesn't line up with a monthly amount exactly.

Original anon. Those numbers are the employee's cost. Firm pays almost nothing toward premiums. Previous anon is correct that those numbers would be lower on your paycheck because of pretax dollars.

Npret

Silver

Postby Npret » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:49 pm

Also you get paid biweekly not monthly. This $567 was my rough monthly approximation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:51 pm

Npret wrote:Also you get paid biweekly not monthly. This $567 was my rough monthly approximation.

Probably semi-monthly, not bi-weekly, for most people. If you get paid twice per month regardless of where the calendar weeks fall, it's semi-monthly. I.e,, you will get 24 paychecks per year no matter what.

Npret

Silver

Postby Npret » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Npret wrote:Also you get paid biweekly not monthly. This $567 was my rough monthly approximation.

Probably semi-monthly, not bi-weekly, for most people. If you get paid twice per month regardless of where the calendar weeks fall, it's semi-monthly. I.e,, you will get 24 paychecks per year no matter what.

I got paid every other Friday. Not sure how every firm does it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:58 pm

Npret wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

The firms that I've worked at do 15th and last day of the month. Generally makes everything easier.

Npret

Silver

Postby Npret » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Npret wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

The firms that I've worked at do 15th and last day of the month. Generally makes everything easier.

So what did you pay in health insurance? Did you pay 1/2 of the month every check? Or was it taken out once for the month?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:25 pm

Npret wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Npret wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

So what did you pay in health insurance? Did you pay 1/2 of the month every check? Or was it taken out once for the month?

I'm the anon with the huge premiums so like I said, I opted for one off the exchange. But otherwise it would just be premium/2 - pretax = what you pay every paycheck

mvp99

Silver

Postby mvp99 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:42 pm

i'm switching to my fiances plan asap. Dont care its a cheap plan... Statistically (I've heard) its only when you turn 30 that the risk of something really bad happening goes up a lot then goes down a bit at 40

dabigchina

Silver

Postby dabigchina » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:36 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:can a mod just confirm the anonymous poster was not kellyfrost looking to sell some insurance to massive employers?

I'm the OP. Not sure why I posted anon since it didn't really need to be.

Return to “Legal Employment�