Florida C+F?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Florida C+F?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:17 pm

Any tips on dealing with the hell known as the Florida Character and Fitness examination? I got a General Under Honorable Conditions discharge but other than that have been pretty clean, current on all financial obligations, etc. For what it's worth, I don't live anywhere close to FL currently.

Anonymous User

Re: Florida C+F?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:56 pm

Different poster, related question: how long can I expect this process to take (assuming a minor issue or two, but nothing major)? I also live far from FL, and currently have an offer on the table there that is contingent on me being sworn in by October. Should I be worried that I won't be cleared by then if I wait too long to file?

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Postby TheSpanishMain » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any tips on dealing with the hell known as the Florida Character and Fitness examination? I got a General Under Honorable Conditions discharge but other than that have been pretty clean, current on all financial obligations, etc. For what it's worth, I don't live anywhere close to FL currently.

I don't know about Florida specifically, but my understanding is that really the only thing the bar cares about is lack of candor.* So as long as you're forthright about whatever you did in the military that got you an OTOH, you're probably fine. Just be upfront and don't make them drag it out of you.

*Within reason. Obviously there are things that are dealbreakers even if you tell them.

wwwcol

Bronze

Postby wwwcol » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:Different poster, related question: how long can I expect this process to take (assuming a minor issue or two, but nothing major)? I also live far from FL, and currently have an offer on the table there that is contingent on me being sworn in by October. Should I be worried that I won't be cleared by then if I wait too long to file?

Do you mean October 2017? Ie you plan to sit for the July 17 bar?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:26 am

wwwcol wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Different poster, related question: how long can I expect this process to take (assuming a minor issue or two, but nothing major)? I also live far from FL, and currently have an offer on the table there that is contingent on me being sworn in by October. Should I be worried that I won't be cleared by then if I wait too long to file?

Yes.

wwwcol

Bronze

Postby wwwcol » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
wwwcol wrote:

Yes.

Not to alarm you, but you should be very worried that you won't be cleared by October. Especially with an issue or two (even if minor), you might already be too late. I'd file today or tomorrow if I were you.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Postby TheSpanishMain » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:13 pm

wwwcol wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
wwwcol wrote:

Yes.

Not to alarm you, but you should be very worried that you won't be cleared by October. Especially with an issue or two (even if minor), you might already be too late. I'd file today or tomorrow if I were you.

Really? Not to hijack the question, but FL really takes that long? I thought the average turnaround (for those without serious issues) as like 2-4 months. Is FL just much slower than everyone else?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:53 pm

wwwcol wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
wwwcol wrote:

Yes.

Thanks for this answer. I feared as much.

Return to “Legal Employment�