Favorite associate left Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Favorite associate left

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:23 pm

Will be associate at big firm next year. I just saw on LinkedIn that my favorite associate left the firm for another, similarly ranked firm. Would it be weird to ask why he left? I dont know if that is considered taboo or awkward.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Re: Favorite associate left

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:47 pm

Yes, that's weird. Welcome to biglaw - everybody leaves, and it always seems to be the people you like.

If you happen to run into her, you can say something like "I was bummed to hear you left." Or something, and maybe she'll voulnteer a reason. Maybe she won't. Don't pry.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:13 pm

Yeah I get why you're curious but don't ask unless you're like actually friends with them I guess

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:12 pm

If they aren't at the firm anymore, I don't think much harm can come from asking. I'd phrase it slightly different though - send email saying congrats on the new position. Although I'm slightly bummed because I enjoyed working with you and considered you a mentor. Leave it at that and they might volunteer some info.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:53 pm

All my mentors and coordinators during the summer program left the firm by the time I started. This isn't unusual since attrition is at its height for 3-5th years, and those are the associates most involved in the summer programs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Will be associate at big firm next year. I just saw on LinkedIn that my favorite associate left the firm for another, similarly ranked firm. Would it be weird to ask why he left? I dont know if that is considered taboo or awkward.
If you really care, buy him/her lunch and talk about his/her experience at the firm and what you should do/avoid doing. Sending a cold e-mail saying "WTF BRO" would be fine but you'll probably hear "just wanted a change of scenery." You won't get any actual information.

smokeylarue

Silver

Post by smokeylarue » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:05 pm

Strange responses to this thread IMO. Literally zero harm in shooting him a message and asking him why he left.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:28 pm

You should try and see if you can join him/her at their new firm.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:39 pm

smokeylarue wrote:Strange responses to this thread IMO. Literally zero harm in shooting him a message and asking him why he left.
There's no harm. But it's still weird and, imo, a social faux pas to just reach out to ask why they left. Especially in biglaw and the attrition rate it has. People are expected to leave.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:54 am

Don't ask why they left; phrase it as "can you tell me about your experience now that you left". There could be a ton of reasons, though, but I think the way they describe their experience will clue you into the reasons, if they don't offer it upfront.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:55 am

Don't ask why they left; phrase it as "can you tell me about your experience now that you left". There could be a ton of reasons, though, but I think the way they describe their experience will clue you into the reasons, if they don't offer it upfront.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”