1st/2nd year lateral

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1st/2nd year lateral

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:40 am

I know there are similar threads out there but starting another one to get new/fresh perspectives. I am a first year at v10 in major market who is looking to lateral asap. The main reason for the jump is to switch practice area (before I get pigeonholed) and possibly move to a firm with better culture fit. How should I start my search? Contact headhunters? Talk to friends at firms I am interested in (who are mostly first and second years)? Directly contact recruiters at the firms? I've been checking the lateral openings at these firms and noticed that they are mostly for mid-levels. Any advice from those who made the switch as a junior is appreciated. Thanks

Anonymous User

Re: 1st/2nd year lateral

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know there are similar threads out there but starting another one to get new/fresh perspectives. I am a first year at v10 in major market who is looking to lateral asap. The main reason for the jump is to switch practice area (before I get pigeonholed) and possibly move to a firm with better culture fit. How should I start my search? Contact headhunters? Talk to friends at firms I am interested in (who are mostly first and second years)? Directly contact recruiters at the firms? I've been checking the lateral openings at these firms and noticed that they are mostly for mid-levels. Any advice from those who made the switch as a junior is appreciated. Thanks

Did you try to switch groups within your firm? If you can do that, I'd bet itd be easier to then switch to a different firm adn be in that group?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know there are similar threads out there but starting another one to get new/fresh perspectives. I am a first year at v10 in major market who is looking to lateral asap. The main reason for the jump is to switch practice area (before I get pigeonholed) and possibly move to a firm with better culture fit. How should I start my search? Contact headhunters? Talk to friends at firms I am interested in (who are mostly first and second years)? Directly contact recruiters at the firms? I've been checking the lateral openings at these firms and noticed that they are mostly for mid-levels. Any advice from those who made the switch as a junior is appreciated. Thanks

Did you try to switch groups within your firm? If you can do that, I'd bet itd be easier to then switch to a different firm adn be in that group?

OP here. I've been thinking about that option as well but I don't think I can ask to switch until next year or so. I rather make the switch sooner than later if I can.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:51 pm

I switched practice groups after my second year.

I was in corporate and I was able to take some tech transactions work from a partner that I had good relationships with. I was also able to change my profile to add corporate + tech transactions to my profile. However, 75%+ of my work was still corporate. After 2 years, I lateralled to a new firm for tech transactions. I embellished a little bit and stated that I was 50/50 split between the two different groups. Not sure if it is possible in your situation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I switched practice groups after my second year.

I was in corporate and I was able to take some tech transactions work from a partner that I had good relationships with. I was also able to change my profile to add corporate + tech transactions to my profile. However, 75%+ of my work was still corporate. After 2 years, I lateralled to a new firm for tech transactions. I embellished a little bit and stated that I was 50/50 split between the two different groups. Not sure if it is possible in your situation.

OP here. Thanks for the insight. So did you use a recruiter? applied directly online? Networked? How did you actually land the interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

OP here. Thanks for the insight. So did you use a recruiter? applied directly online? Networked? How did you actually land the interview?

I applied online directly. Time between interview to offer was about 2 weeks. They had an immediate demand. YMMV depending on how severe the demand is.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I applied online directly. Time between interview to offer was about 2 weeks. They had an immediate demand. YMMV depending on how severe the demand is.

Did you apply to an opening that only required two years of experience? Or just applied and hoped for the best?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:38 pm

I lateralled after a year working. Used a recruiter. TLS hates head hunters but I thought it was nice to have someone who knew the market, who could manage logistics, and who was a general soundboard for neuroticism.

I think knowing someone at a firm is the path of least resistance. A headhunter would likely let you cast a wider net than you could on your own, though.

In terms of timing, it took about two months to go from first talking with the recruiter to the end of the process for me, but ymmv depending on how many firms you interview at or whatever else.

I'd suggest starting early so you can be patient and really shop things out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:38 pm

Bump

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:06 pm

did your firm make you commit in your first year?

Return to “Legal Employment�