Full-time Externships with Court Room Experience Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
smiles123

Bronze

Full-time Externships with Court Room Experience

Post by smiles123 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:10 am

Hey all,

Hoping to extern a semester my 3L. I was wondering if anyone knew specific offices/agencies that allow their externs to go to court and handle cases. I'm open to anything (DA, JAG, International work, ect.), I just want to make sure the semester is a worthwhile use of time. Any insight is appreciated!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Full-time Externships with Court Room Experience

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:39 am

smiles123 wrote:Hey all,

Hoping to extern a semester my 3L. I was wondering if anyone knew specific offices/agencies that allow their externs to go to court and handle cases. I'm open to anything (DA, JAG, International work, ect.), I just want to make sure the semester is a worthwhile use of time. Any insight is appreciated!
If your state has 3L licenses (not that they all call it that) then a lot of DA's offices let you argue in court, I think. I also think a lot of criminal defense clinics through your school get you into court (probably also through the PD directly but I just don't actually know). Legal aid might but it depends on the kind of cases. (USAO probably won't - I don't think students can appear in federal court.)

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:40 am

It depends on the externship, you should see what your school has and then read reviews or reach out to other students who have done it. With only one semester though, you have no idea whether you'll get actual trial experience. You might have courtroom experience, but you never know if externships or going to line up with a trial.
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elendinel

Silver

Post by elendinel » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:03 pm

It really depends on where you're located.

Depending on that, the answer may be that there are none for you, that only DAs/PDs might, or DA/PD/a dozen other non-profits might.

I echo the disclaimer that with only one semester, you can't guarantee trial experience even in a jurisdiction where students appear all the time, though.

smiles123

Bronze

Post by smiles123 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:26 am

Location can be anywhere, national or international. It would be a full-time externship, so I am not limited to offices near my school. Any specific offices / agencies / non-profits that people know have court room experience?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:04 pm

How will you go to classes? Also, idk of - or ever heard of - a 9-5 externship.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:48 pm

Some schools do that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:51 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:How will you go to classes? Also, idk of - or ever heard of - a 9-5 externship.
My school let you do that so students could do international or DC externships. You had to do some silly stuff like come up with a reading list and write a reflection paper though.

If you really DGAF about where it is, I know people who got lots of courtroom experience at the San Mateo (CA) DA's Office. I'm pretty sure Santa Clara DA also provided courtroom experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:23 pm

My law school (a T14, though I think other local schools had the same things in my city) had externships (for credit) with both the local DA and PD offices which let you actually argue real cases in court. FWIW I did the PD one and it was probably my favorite thing I did during law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”