Bad idea to do lateral interview?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bad idea to do lateral interview?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:16 pm

I am a second year corporate associate in a major market. I am happy at my firm and don't really want to leave in the short term. I am getting good training and probably want to stay at least another year. I got multiple emails from a recruiter to interview at the firm that was originally my top choice back at OCI. Both pay Cravath scale salary and bonus, although the firm looking to hire is offering a sizable signing bonus and is more "prestigious".

I don't want to make a move now, so is it worth doing the interview?

Anonymous User

Re: Bad idea to do lateral interview?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a second year corporate associate in a major market. I am happy at my firm and don't really want to leave in the short term. I am getting good training and probably want to stay at least another year. I got multiple emails from a recruiter to interview at the firm that was originally my top choice back at OCI. Both pay Cravath scale salary and bonus, although the firm looking to hire is offering a sizable signing bonus and is more "prestigious".

It really depends on your practice group and market. M&A?

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't want to make a move now, so is it worth doing the interview?

No.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am a second year corporate associate in a major market. I am happy at my firm and don't really want to leave in the short term. I am getting good training and probably want to stay at least another year. I got multiple emails from a recruiter to interview at the firm that was originally my top choice back at OCI. Both pay Cravath scale salary and bonus, although the firm looking to hire is offering a sizable signing bonus and is more "prestigious".

It really depends on your practice group and market. M&A?

Yes

smaug

Diamond

Postby smaug » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:53 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I don't want to make a move now, so is it worth doing the interview?

No.

tbf, what's the harm?

zhenders

Silver

Postby zhenders » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:57 pm

smaug wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

No.

tbf, what's the harm?

It strikes me that grass-is-greener thinking is a bit dangerous in biglaw -- if OP is happy where they are, that's a rare enough thing that it doesn't seem particularly wise to gamble that without a pretty good reason.

smaug

Diamond

Postby smaug » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:00 pm

zhenders wrote:
smaug wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

No.

tbf, what's the harm?

It strikes me that grass-is-greener thinking is a bit dangerous in biglaw -- if OP is happy where they are, that's a rare enough thing that it doesn't seem particularly wise to gamble that without a pretty good reason.

Fair. I just also think Stockholm syndrome is rampant with biglaw types and many folks stay at places where they are "happy" because staying is the easiest option.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:04 pm

You deserve to be happy. Find the perfect one.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:41 pm

I think it's worth it to do an interview. I'm in a somewhat similar situation- though non-major market, 1st year. Another firm contacted me and asked me to come in for an exploratory interview. I'm going back to meet with more people again. While I'm happy enough at my current firm, the other firm would pay me more and offer slightly different work (maybe that's not the case for you). I feel the same way as you do- not sure I want to leave a place so soon, but ultimately I think it's worth meeting some people/seeing what that firm has to say and if there is anything better about it than your current situation. Even if you don't leave now, if you handle it well, maybe they would have a spot for you in the future when you do want to move.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:41 am

smaug wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

No.

tbf, what's the harm?

If OP interviews, gets an offer, and then says "no," he may have unnecessarily burned a bridge. Don't interview somewhere unless there's an actual chance that you might accept an offer to work there.

Npret

Gold

Postby Npret » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:00 am

rpupkin wrote:
smaug wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

No.

tbf, what's the harm?

If OP interviews, gets an offer, and then says "no," he may have unnecessarily burned a bridge. Don't interview somewhere unless there's an actual chance that you might accept an offer to work there.

True. Wait until you are ready to leave before you interview. Don't waste everyone's time by interviewing when you know you will be turning them down

If he interviews and gets a no, he also hurts himself if he might apply there later with more experience.

Though moving from big law where you are happy to restart at bigger and more intense biglaw sounds like a terrible move in general.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:06 am

rpupkin wrote:
smaug wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

No.

tbf, what's the harm?

Agree with this. I am attempting to go from small law to big law, and I recently sent an application to a big firm in a nearby market. The firm then invited me for an interview, and I spent an entire weekend thinking, "If they extend an offer, will I take it?" I ultimately concluded yes and scheduled an interview for this upcoming Thursday.

Return to “Legal Employment�