3L got a D, V10 will I get rescinded?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
star fox

Diamond

Re: 3L got a D, V10 will I get rescinded?

Postby star fox » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:04 pm

This whole thread was a FLAME

sublime

Diamond

Postby sublime » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:08 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
BigZuck wrote:If you're legal writing, thinking like a lawyer, and reading cases then you're probably a litigator which means you made a terrible mistake somewhere along the way. Luckily it's not too late for our lowly 1L here to avoid that mistake.

Lol only a fake lawyer says this.

I'm sorry, I'm too busy counting all my (hypothetical) exit options to read and respond to this post

Who needs exit options when you have an actual real lawyer job?

Now you guys are both making me depressed.

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Postby Winter is Coming » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:11 pm

Sure litigators may win trials, but does that really come close to the THRILL of closing the DEAL?

BayCat24

New

Postby BayCat24 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:49 pm

nvm.

dabigchina

Silver

Postby dabigchina » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here.

I wonder how frequently this happens.

Yeah also wondering this.

hlsperson1111

Bronze

Postby hlsperson1111 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:47 pm

rpupkin wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My V100 recruiter said during the summer exit interview that if I were to get a D that it would be best if I let recruiting know immediately so they could try and smooth it over with the hiring committee. FWIW

I don't think this is the typical summer's exit interview experience.

Recruiter: Anon, we're really pleased with your work this summer. Everyone enjoyed working with you. We're happy to extend you an offer to join us as an associate in Fall 2018.

Anon: Wow...thanks!!

Recruiter: We'll be sending you an official offer letter in the mail, but I wanted to give you the good news now.

Anon: I loved working here this summer and I look forward to returning.

Recruiter: Great! If you have questions about anything, feel free to reach out to me or your partner mentor.

Anon: Actually, I have a question right now.

Recruiter. Oh, ok...ask away!

Anon: So, I plan to get a bunch of Ds during my 3L year. Will that be a problem?

. . .

Recruiter: D's?

Anon: D's nuts!!!!!!!!

Phil Brooks

Bronze

Postby Phil Brooks » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:50 am

UVA2B wrote:
Lettow wrote:
UVA2B wrote:Sorry @Phil Brooks, but what have you learned in law school that will matter in actual practice? I'm a lowly 1L, and I can already tell there's a huge difference between legal academia and legal practice. You're not paying for the legal education nearly as much as you're paying for the opportunities the degree provides.

Quality legal writing. 1L also helps you "think like a lawyer," which though cliched is a thing. Learning how to read caselaw, but that's more reading case after case all semester long throughout 1L. Those are some things that a student can learn.

You might be dismissing law school too early.

Absolutely, and I didn't mean to dismiss the entire value of law school as an education. There are important skill sets that will develop, and those shouldn't be ignored. But I'm talking about 3L courses when you're doing more of the same to meet graduation requirements. Everyone is investing in 3L year, but what demonstrable skills are being developed during that timeframe that will directly translate to practice?

During 3L I took courses in my desired specialty area. Last week I incorporated material that I learned from those courses into a brief I was entrusted with writing at my firm. Yesterday that brief was submitted, with the material that I learned from my 3L course, to the arbitral tribunal.

During 3L I also took courses in advanced legal research. I use that knowledge every day at work.

During 3L I took a course in a new practice area and got an A-minus in that course. The fact that I took that course and did well in it gave me credibility to seek and obtain work in that practice area at my firm, when my main practice area got slow. This allowed me to keep up my billables.

Phil Brooks

Bronze

Postby Phil Brooks » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:54 am

BigZuck wrote:
Lettow wrote:
UVA2B wrote:Sorry @Phil Brooks, but what have you learned in law school that will matter in actual practice? I'm a lowly 1L, and I can already tell there's a huge difference between legal academia and legal practice. You're not paying for the legal education nearly as much as you're paying for the opportunities the degree provides.

Quality legal writing. 1L also helps you "think like a lawyer," which though cliched is a thing. Learning how to read caselaw, but that's more reading case after case all semester long throughout 1L. Those are some things that a student can learn.

If you're legal writing, thinking like a lawyer, and reading cases then you're probably a litigator which means you made a terrible mistake somewhere along the way. Luckily it's not too late for our lowly 1L here to avoid that mistake.

Everybody on this forum bitches about how boring and terrible transactional work is, "but exit options." So you will have exit options in a field that you find boring and terrible. Good for you.

Even if one can't find a good legal job out of litigation, it seems to me to be much easier to find a good non-legal job if one has experience writing and communicating persuasively, than if all one did at a law firm was check for typos in contracts.

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:00 am

Phil Brooks wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Lettow wrote:

If you're legal writing, thinking like a lawyer, and reading cases then you're probably a litigator which means you made a terrible mistake somewhere along the way. Luckily it's not too late for our lowly 1L here to avoid that mistake.

Everybody on this forum bitches about how boring and terrible transactional work is, "but exit options." So you will have exit options in a field that you find boring and terrible. Good for you.

Even if one can't find a good legal job out of litigation, it seems to me to be much easier to find a good non-legal job if one has experience writing and communicating persuasively, than if all one did at a law firm was check for typos in contracts.

(never experienced the THRILL of closing the DEAL)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:14 pm

Which law school gives D??

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Which law school gives D??

Great question anon, I doubt this 4 page thread has addressed that yet

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Postby HonestAdvice » Wed May 10, 2017 4:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Which law school gives D??

Duke. This is generally followed by, "Give me a U!"

Abbie Doobie

Silver

Postby Abbie Doobie » Wed May 10, 2017 6:46 pm

pretty sure that your v10 will only rescind if it gets back to them that you were bad at takin' the D

Mickfromgm

Bronze

Postby Mickfromgm » Wed May 10, 2017 6:52 pm

Deeze Nuts 2020

Return to “Legal Employment�