3L got a D, V10 will I get rescinded?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Wild Card

Bronze

Re: 3L got a D, V10 will I get rescinded?

Postby Wild Card » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:56 pm

ArtistOfManliness wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:
BaileyJohnson wrote:
tyroneslothrop1 wrote:I wouldn't worry too much. I'd probably laugh if I saw a transcript reading A/A- and then D the first semester 3L. Maybe try and do well and this semester. But you've got top grades and are working at a top firm, so it wouldn't concern me.

For someone who's never received below an A/A- and going to a v5, as well. What happened and what should I do to make sure it doesn't happen to me? If you don't mind me asking.

Pretty sure you have to try to get a D. Like skip 1/2 of the classes, never read, and only read a supplement 2 days before exam to get a D. You might get a B if it's a bad class/semester, but I wouldn't worry about "accidentally" getting a D. You'll know if you're gonna get a D.

the joys of HYSB's H/P system... skip all the classes, never read, and only skim an outline the morning of the exam. still get a P.

Well, half the class at Berkeley doesn't get biglaw or a federal clerkship...

It must suck hard to get a P at H, though, when something like up to 60 percent (IIRC) gets an H. They might as well call it Pass/Fail.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:08 pm

Wild Card wrote:
ArtistOfManliness wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:
BaileyJohnson wrote:
tyroneslothrop1 wrote:I wouldn't worry too much. I'd probably laugh if I saw a transcript reading A/A- and then D the first semester 3L. Maybe try and do well and this semester. But you've got top grades and are working at a top firm, so it wouldn't concern me.

For someone who's never received below an A/A- and going to a v5, as well. What happened and what should I do to make sure it doesn't happen to me? If you don't mind me asking.

Pretty sure you have to try to get a D. Like skip 1/2 of the classes, never read, and only read a supplement 2 days before exam to get a D. You might get a B if it's a bad class/semester, but I wouldn't worry about "accidentally" getting a D. You'll know if you're gonna get a D.

the joys of HYSB's H/P system... skip all the classes, never read, and only skim an outline the morning of the exam. still get a P.

Well, half the class at Berkeley doesn't get biglaw or a federal clerkship...

It must suck hard to get a P at H, though, when something like up to 60 percent (IIRC) gets an H. They might as well call it Pass/Fail.

Varies by class, but for the most part you have it the other way around. 40% honors. And it isn't really like pass/fail at all since each mark is sill assigned a numerical grade, including DS and LP, and you can do fine with mostly P's.

Also your numbers for Cal are way off. They typically have an OCI success rate in the high 70's, so more than 3/4 could get biglaw or a clerkship.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:12 pm

ArtistOfManliness wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:
BaileyJohnson wrote:

Except its harder to get a discretionary low grade (B-) at a school like CLS than an LP or restricted credit. But for the most part yes.

Phil Brooks

Bronze

Postby Phil Brooks » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:12 am

jbagelboy wrote:
Phil Brooks wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It's still unlikely that your offer would be rescinded, but this will make it difficult for you to get hired by another legal employer in the next few years. Yea your grades matter less when you lateral but they still ask for the transcripts and this is one of the few things that would be a red flag when you're a relatively recent graduate. Our recruiting committee would not recommend an interview to a second or third year lateral candidate with a failing grade regardless of what firm they were coming from. I would go talk to the professor and see if you can't get it to at least a C.

Also, which law schools give D's?

F bombs get dropped at THE University of Texas School of Law. That's a consensus Top 15 law school right there. Most profs like to find a sacrificial D or F or two or three in every class.

Good times man. Good times.

You have to be a really shitty human being--I mean, a real fucker with nothing good going on in your life--to be a law professor and give a 3L an F or D in a class.

Why is the fact that he's a 3L relevant? Heaven forbid the professor expects students to try for all three years!! The horror!

I would consider it disrespectful of my time (and money) when some hung over 3L would come to class without having done the reading, and would struggle hopelessly through a cold call for several minutes, whereas someone who had done the reading could have answered the questions in one minute and let the professor move on.

Dude this was nearly every upperclassman at my law school that deigned to show up to class, which was still something considering the persons that didn't. You gonna fail 80% of the class? Even if the chap didn't show up, as long as he took the final and/or wrote the papers, he or she didn't deserve a D. Moreover, sounds like this was a tryhard who would have done the work anyway.

Also lol @ their money, fuck their money, we pay them.

I said it is a waste of MY money. I paid money to come and learn in class. I don't learn by listening to some hung over 3L struggle.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:25 am

Sorry @Phil Brooks, but what have you learned in law school that will matter in actual practice? I'm a lowly 1L, and I can already tell there's a huge difference between legal academia and legal practice. You're not paying for the legal education nearly as much as you're paying for the opportunities the degree provides.

Lettow

New

Postby Lettow » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:41 am

UVA2B wrote:Sorry @Phil Brooks, but what have you learned in law school that will matter in actual practice? I'm a lowly 1L, and I can already tell there's a huge difference between legal academia and legal practice. You're not paying for the legal education nearly as much as you're paying for the opportunities the degree provides.

Quality legal writing. 1L also helps you "think like a lawyer," which though cliched is a thing. Learning how to read caselaw, but that's more reading case after case all semester long throughout 1L. Those are some things that a student can learn.

You might be dismissing law school too early.

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:44 am

Lettow wrote:
UVA2B wrote:Sorry @Phil Brooks, but what have you learned in law school that will matter in actual practice? I'm a lowly 1L, and I can already tell there's a huge difference between legal academia and legal practice. You're not paying for the legal education nearly as much as you're paying for the opportunities the degree provides.

Quality legal writing. 1L also helps you "think like a lawyer," which though cliched is a thing. Learning how to read caselaw, but that's more reading case after case all semester long throughout 1L. Those are some things that a student can learn.

If you're legal writing, thinking like a lawyer, and reading cases then you're probably a litigator which means you made a terrible mistake somewhere along the way. Luckily it's not too late for our lowly 1L here to avoid that mistake.

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:45 am

Lettow wrote:

Absolutely, and I didn't mean to dismiss the entire value of law school as an education. There are important skill sets that will develop, and those shouldn't be ignored. But I'm talking about 3L courses when you're doing more of the same to meet graduation requirements. Everyone is investing in 3L year, but what demonstrable skills are being developed during that timeframe that will directly translate to practice?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:57 am

HonestAdvice wrote:OP - Do you know for a fact that your test went through the system?

A D is such a poor grade and given your prior grades, it should be impossible for you to turn in a D exam even if you don't know any the law. Unless you offended the professor or cheated, it's hard to imagine you getting a D. If you submitted a blank exam, or like 50 words or something ridiculous then it's possible the professor gave you a D just to not fail you. This seems more likely than getting a D. I'd guess it didn't go through in this situation.

This.

A/A- students don't get B minuses, let alone Ds. It's borderline unheard of. Most students who consistently score in the A range on law school exams are good enough at taking exams that they could pull a B- or a B with a commercial outline and 3 hours of prep.

In fact, while most people here are generally right that one bad grade won't affect your offer, if this grade somehow turns out to be legitimate, it actually would scare me. A "D" just looks so out of place on a transcript full of only As and A- that some employers (judges if you ever want to clerk) may actually think you did something egregious to get it, even if it is considered technically passing.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:12 am

BigZuck wrote:If you're legal writing, thinking like a lawyer, and reading cases then you're probably a litigator which means you made a terrible mistake somewhere along the way. Luckily it's not too late for our lowly 1L here to avoid that mistake.

Lol only a fake lawyer says this.

Genius

Silver

Postby Genius » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:18 am

So is Vault the new post-JD grad school?

encore1101

Silver

Postby encore1101 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It's still unlikely that your offer would be rescinded, but this will make it difficult for you to get hired by another legal employer in the next few years. Yea your grades matter less when you lateral but they still ask for the transcripts and this is one of the few things that would be a red flag when you're a relatively recent graduate. Our recruiting committee would not recommend an interview to a second or third year lateral candidate with a failing grade regardless of what firm they were coming from. I would go talk to the professor and see if you can't get it to at least a C.

Also, which law schools give D's?

F bombs get dropped at THE University of Texas School of Law. That's a consensus Top 15 law school right there. Most profs like to find a sacrificial D or F or two or three in every class.

Good times man. Good times.

You have to be a really shitty human being--I mean, a real fucker with nothing good going on in your life--to be a law professor and give a 3L an F or D in a class.

Maybe the guy deserved an F, and the professor was generous with the D.

edit: ITT millenials

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:28 pm

Genius wrote:So is Vault the new post-JD grad school?

No. vault is like Princeton Review's ranking for college with best erasers or whatever.

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:38 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
BigZuck wrote:If you're legal writing, thinking like a lawyer, and reading cases then you're probably a litigator which means you made a terrible mistake somewhere along the way. Luckily it's not too late for our lowly 1L here to avoid that mistake.

I'm sorry, I'm too busy counting all my (hypothetical) exit options to read and respond to this post

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:06 pm

BigZuck wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

I'm sorry, I'm too busy counting all my (hypothetical) exit options to read and respond to this post

Who needs exit options when you have an actual real lawyer job?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:43 am

OP here.

I talked to administration. Apparently they fucked up and put in the wrong grade. Grade was an A-. I wonder how frequently this happens.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here.

I talked to administration. Apparently they fucked up and put in the wrong grade. Grade was an A-. I wonder how frequently this happens.

Shit. Yeah, honestly, thankfully it was a D and not a B or B+... probably woulda let either one of those slide.

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:19 am

Lol

whysooseriousbiglaw

New

Postby whysooseriousbiglaw » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here.

Omg...how do you input a D instead of A-? Wtf.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:03 pm

BigZuck wrote:Lol

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:09 pm

I wonder if our never below an A- V5er's fears are now assuaged or nah

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:27 pm

My V100 recruiter said during the summer exit interview that if I were to get a D that it would be best if I let recruiting know immediately so they could try and smooth it over with the hiring committee. FWIW

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:59 pm

BigZuck wrote:I wonder if our never below an A- V5er's fears are now assuaged or nah

Twist: It turns out that V5er's A- grades were supposed to be Ds

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My V100 recruiter said during the summer exit interview that if I were to get a D that it would be best if I let recruiting know immediately so they could try and smooth it over with the hiring committee. FWIW

I don't think this is the typical summer's exit interview experience.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:54 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My V100 recruiter said during the summer exit interview that if I were to get a D that it would be best if I let recruiting know immediately so they could try and smooth it over with the hiring committee. FWIW

I don't think this is the typical summer's exit interview experience.

Recruiter: Anon, we're really pleased with your work this summer. Everyone enjoyed working with you. We're happy to extend you an offer to join us as an associate in Fall 2018.

Anon: Wow...thanks!!

Recruiter: We'll be sending you an official offer letter in the mail, but I wanted to give you the good news now.

Anon: I loved working here this summer and I look forward to returning.

Recruiter: Great! If you have questions about anything, feel free to reach out to me or your partner mentor.

Anon: Actually, I have a question right now.

Recruiter. Oh, ok...ask away!

Anon: So, I plan to get a bunch of Ds during my 3L year. Will that be a problem?

. . .

Return to “Legal Employment�