3L got a D, V10 will I get rescinded?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Desert Fox

Diamond

Re: 3L got a D, V10 will I get rescinded?

Postby Desert Fox » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:58 pm

Pretty sure boo got a D once. He's doing great. He is the v10 pull penis tugger in North Dakota
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

NYC2012

Bronze

Postby NYC2012 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:25 am

Last edited by NYC2012 on Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

ArtistOfManliness

Silver

Postby ArtistOfManliness » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:18 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:
BaileyJohnson wrote:
tyroneslothrop1 wrote:I wouldn't worry too much. I'd probably laugh if I saw a transcript reading A/A- and then D the first semester 3L. Maybe try and do well and this semester. But you've got top grades and are working at a top firm, so it wouldn't concern me.

For someone who's never received below an A/A- and going to a v5, as well. What happened and what should I do to make sure it doesn't happen to me? If you don't mind me asking.

Pretty sure you have to try to get a D. Like skip 1/2 of the classes, never read, and only read a supplement 2 days before exam to get a D. You might get a B if it's a bad class/semester, but I wouldn't worry about "accidentally" getting a D. You'll know if you're gonna get a D.

the joys of HYSB's H/P system... skip all the classes, never read, and only skim an outline the morning of the exam. still get a P.

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:54 am

Desert Fox wrote:Pretty sure boo got a D once. He's doing great. He is the v10 pull penis tugger in North Dakota

Was this D a surprise to Boo, or did he see it coming?

MCFC

Platinum

Postby MCFC » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:08 am

BigZuck wrote:For 3 years they told me best law school for 1000 miles in any direction. You really think I'm going to stop believing that now?

ETA: Google maps says the two Chicago schools are 1100 miles away and I'm not going to even dignify the Vandy nonsense with a response

The combination of the headline and picture at the top of this article is pretty interesting.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/24/b ... alary.html

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:26 am

MCFC wrote:
BigZuck wrote:For 3 years they told me best law school for 1000 miles in any direction. You really think I'm going to stop believing that now?

ETA: Google maps says the two Chicago schools are 1100 miles away and I'm not going to even dignify the Vandy nonsense with a response

The combination of the headline and picture at the top of this article is pretty interesting.

All I took from that is a 3rd year lawyer from UT is just as good as a freshly minted Yalie

I'd say that's pretty good!

Lettow

New

Postby Lettow » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:46 am

NYC2012 wrote:
BaileyJohnson wrote:For someone who's never received below an A/A- and going to a v5, as well. What happened and what should I do to make sure it doesn't happen to me? If you don't mind me asking.

Wow, we are all SUPER impressed by your phenomenal credentials that you had to throw into this post.

Your random hostility makes you seem jealous.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:13 am

Lettow wrote:
NYC2012 wrote:
BaileyJohnson wrote:For someone who's never received below an A/A- and going to a v5, as well. What happened and what should I do to make sure it doesn't happen to me? If you don't mind me asking.

Wow, we are all SUPER impressed by your phenomenal credentials that you had to throw into this post.

V5 all star knows s/he isn't going to get a D. Just wanted to flash those stats.

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:14 am

Lettow wrote:
NYC2012 wrote:

Nah it was a really dumb thing to say and worth calling out as dumb

(he says with his 3.53 GPA as he quietly sobs at his V82 desk)

ETA: Shared office

Phil Brooks

Bronze

Postby Phil Brooks » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It's still unlikely that your offer would be rescinded, but this will make it difficult for you to get hired by another legal employer in the next few years. Yea your grades matter less when you lateral but they still ask for the transcripts and this is one of the few things that would be a red flag when you're a relatively recent graduate. Our recruiting committee would not recommend an interview to a second or third year lateral candidate with a failing grade regardless of what firm they were coming from. I would go talk to the professor and see if you can't get it to at least a C.

Also, which law schools give D's?

F bombs get dropped at THE University of Texas School of Law. That's a consensus Top 15 law school right there. Most profs like to find a sacrificial D or F or two or three in every class.

Good times man. Good times.

You have to be a really shitty human being--I mean, a real fucker with nothing good going on in your life--to be a law professor and give a 3L an F or D in a class.

Why is the fact that he's a 3L relevant? Heaven forbid the professor expects students to try for all three years!! The horror!

I would consider it disrespectful of my time (and money) when some hung over 3L would come to class without having done the reading, and would struggle hopelessly through a cold call for several minutes, whereas someone who had done the reading could have answered the questions in one minute and let the professor move on.

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:13 pm

Disrespectful of their money?

Dude if people were paying me 200K a year to just straight chill like a law prof the least I could do is not tank someone's career

Just LOL at a law prof's LUST for RIGOR. We're talking about people that have probably never worked a day in their life. Certainly whatever they do in their capacity as a professor can't accurately be called "work."

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:14 pm

Phil Brooks wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It's still unlikely that your offer would be rescinded, but this will make it difficult for you to get hired by another legal employer in the next few years. Yea your grades matter less when you lateral but they still ask for the transcripts and this is one of the few things that would be a red flag when you're a relatively recent graduate. Our recruiting committee would not recommend an interview to a second or third year lateral candidate with a failing grade regardless of what firm they were coming from. I would go talk to the professor and see if you can't get it to at least a C.

F bombs get dropped at THE University of Texas School of Law. That's a consensus Top 15 law school right there. Most profs like to find a sacrificial D or F or two or three in every class.

You have to be a really shitty human being--I mean, a real fucker with nothing good going on in your life--to be a law professor and give a 3L an F or D in a class.

Why is the fact that he's a 3L relevant? Heaven forbid the professor expects students to try for all three years!! The horror!

I would consider it disrespectful of my time (and money) when some hung over 3L would come to class without having done the reading, and would struggle hopelessly through a cold call for several minutes, whereas someone who had done the reading could have answered the questions in one minute and let the professor move on.

In this scenario, it is the 3L's fault for taking a class that cold calls.

dabigchina

Silver

Postby dabigchina » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:17 pm

Bigger waste of time and money is forcing people to pay for a third year that they don't want

star fox

Diamond

Postby star fox » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:19 pm

Phil Brooks wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

Well that's more of a reason why the whole cold calling process is a waste of time. At that point, the Professor should just move on. Besides, I've literally never been in a law school class where a Professor opens up a question to the floor and there isn't at least someone willing to take it on (in stark contrast to the painfully awkward silences in my undergrad courses) so cold calling isn't accomplishing anything.

jphiggo

Bronze

Postby jphiggo » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:31 pm

dabigchina wrote:Bigger waste of time and money is forcing people to pay for a third year that they don't want

ding ding

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:00 pm

Phil Brooks wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

Dude this was nearly every upperclassman at my law school that deigned to show up to class, which was still something considering the persons that didn't. You gonna fail 80% of the class? Even if the chap didn't show up, as long as he took the final and/or wrote the papers, he or she didn't deserve a D. Moreover, sounds like this was a tryhard who would have done the work anyway.

Also lol @ their money, fuck their money, we pay them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:29 pm

OP here.

It was a 3 credit class with a race horse exam. There were multiple problems with grades this semester so I still have a bit of hope that someone screwed up and the professor graded the wrong test, or admin screwed up inputting grades.

thisiswater

Silver

Postby thisiswater » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:41 pm

BigZuck wrote:
MCFC wrote:

All I took from that is a 3rd year lawyer from UT is just as good as a freshly minted Yalie

Just ignoring the fact that they're grouping UofH in there with you too?

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:53 pm

thisiswater wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
MCFC wrote:

Just ignoring the fact that they're grouping UofH in there with you too?

As long as SMU is still in their rightful place at the absolute bottom of the barrel I'm good

newlawgrad

New

Postby newlawgrad » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:18 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Phil Brooks wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

You're doing it wrong.

BaileyJohnson

New

Postby BaileyJohnson » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:51 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
Lettow wrote:
NYC2012 wrote:

V5 all star knows s/he isn't going to get a D. Just wanted to flash those stats.

Couldn't be further from the truth, but if the soothsayer say it, it must be true. Intriguing that some people would be legitimately annoyed with my post. What reason would I have to gloat on a throwaway account, or at all? It was merely context for my question. I guess next time, it will be anonymous, or I will leave that (perhaps, unnecessary?) information out of my posts. LOL internet.

future liT1g4tor

Bronze

Postby future liT1g4tor » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:55 pm

Last edited by future liT1g4tor on Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HonestAdvice

Bronze

Postby HonestAdvice » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:38 pm

OP - Do you know for a fact that your test went through the system?

A D is such a poor grade and given your prior grades, it should be impossible for you to turn in a D exam even if you don't know any the law. Unless you offended the professor or cheated, it's hard to imagine you getting a D. If you submitted a blank exam, or like 50 words or something ridiculous then it's possible the professor gave you a D just to not fail you. This seems more likely than getting a D. I'd guess it didn't go through in this situation.

star fox

Diamond

Postby star fox » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:48 pm

I don't really agree that someone deserves decent enough grade just by actually turning in an exam if they demonstrated zero awareness or knowledge of the subject material just because they pay tuition.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Postby Desert Fox » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:09 pm

star fox wrote:I don't really agree that someone deserves decent enough grade just by actually turning in an exam if they demonstrated zero awareness or knowledge of the subject material just because they pay tuition.

Any tuition I agree.

70k a year fuck that. Promises were made
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Legal Employment�