Staying healthy in law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
timmyd

Bronze

Staying healthy in law

Postby timmyd » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:34 pm

It seems this profession almost rewards poor health. No one cares about health or turning into a fat shit so long as their billables are at a certain threshold. I feel weird for not feeling the same. I'd rather leave law than give up my mental and physical health. That being said I'd prefer not to leave law--I like well enough.

How do y'all stay in some semblance of shape in this profession? Or has everyone resigned themselves to getting fat and aging at an unhealthy rate?

iliketurtles123

Bronze

Re: Staying healthy in law

Postby iliketurtles123 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:47 pm

Be smart about what you eat. Count your calories (and macros if that's your thing). Don't order an extra side of fries and an extra large coke because "you deserve it since you're at the office late". Try not to snack, and if you do, be mindful. Adjust your diet based on your schedule. In the end, gaining weight is based on calories in/out. If you aren't working out anymore and are more sedentary than before, eat less to account for that.

As for body composition, if you want to maintain your muscle and not be "skinny fat", drop by the gym whenever you can, even if you barely have time to work out. Have your gym clothes/bag with you. Working out 20 minutes 3x a week is better than doing nothing at all. If you lift, go hard and heavy for that 20 minutes. If you run, mix up some HIIT with cardio days. If you're too tired or drained, skip the work out, for the sake of your mental health. If you're just lazy, head to the gym before you head home so you won't be so comfortable that you can't leave the house again.

There isn't a one-stop solution to this. You have to balance and adjust every day.

Also I believe mental health >>>>> above everything else. If you have any mental health issues, get it addressed ASAP. Nothing is worth damaging your mental health.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:49 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:26 pm

I'm a third year in NYC, which is particularly brutal and I think I've actually gotten in better shape since starting biglaw (though my hips are stiff from sitting a lot). I try to eat healthy, eat my dinners early in the night and I try to work out 3-4X a week (both weekend days and at least 2 days during the week). The week work outs are hard, but honestly, I try to just leave before 7:30 and go straight to the gym and continue working from home. Don't sacrifice your health for the job, it just makes no sense to and most people are cool enough with the excuse "i'm at the gym and get it to you when I'm done". You are right though, this profession rewards people that value work above life, LPT, don't be one of those people.

Also, mental health is super important in this job. I went from being a pretty chill person that never really stressed to having full-blown anxiety attacks a few years in. Don't sweat the small stuff, and remember, its all small stuff. None of this shit matters at the end of the day and there will always be more work to do, make sure you carve out a life for yourself while you meddle in this miserable profession.

favabeansoup

Bronze

Postby favabeansoup » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:19 pm

Aside from typical diet advice, wake up early and go to the gym.

If your biglaw life is anything like mine, the early mornings are the only time you'll have control over your day. Usually at gym by 7, leave by 8ish, shower and change there, grab coffee/breakfast on way to work, be at work around 9-9:15.

A lot of people aren't the morning types, but I just thing it's the only feasible way to have a consistent healthy "routine" with biglaw schedules being what they are.

masque du pantsu

Bronze

Postby masque du pantsu » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:53 pm

Fourth year M&A in NYC Biglaw, and i echo these points (i.e., try to eat okay, if you don't have time to work out long, work out hard, etc.) but will add a few things. First, there will be times when you're in the office round the clock and your eating and sleeping routine is total dogshit and you don't have time to exercise. Don't sweat it too much, just make up for it once things calm down and you have the chance. If you stay in decent shape generally, you'll bounce back pretty quickly, and you can always squeeze in little things (like push ups before you hop in the shower, etc.).

Second, working out alone is not enough if you're completely sedentary otherwise. If you live in a city, try to walk as much as you can, and in your office, take the stairs. Like, don't take the elevator up two flights (so many people do this). It doesn't sound like a lot but it adds up. I had a period of time this summer with two 300 hour months in a row, but gained zero weight and didn't even lose that much fitness, and i'm positive the reason was that I was running up and down about four flights between my office and the conference room floor about 8 times a day and i can count on one hand the number of times i haven't walked to work since I started here.

SeewhathappensLarry

Bronze

Postby SeewhathappensLarry » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:59 pm

Not in biglaw yet, but I have had a demanding job before that left little time for anything else. Have you ever tried some at-home workouts? I have really enjoyed things like p90x and Insanity. A couple drawbacks of course are that you have to buy some equipment (for p90x or body beast) and that you don't get the social experience of the gym. But I have found it saves an enormous amount of time

dailygrind

Diamond

Postby dailygrind » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:32 pm

SeewhathappensLarry wrote:Not in biglaw yet, but I have had a demanding job before that left little time for anything else. Have you ever tried some at-home workouts? I have really enjoyed things like p90x and Insanity. A couple drawbacks of course are that you have to buy some equipment (for p90x or body beast) and that you don't get the social experience of the gym. But I have found it saves an enormous amount of time

I also do at-home workouts to supplement gym time. I find that I get in a much better workout at the gym, but when I'm super time crunched working out at home is definitely the way to go. Besides a pullup bar, I also bought an adjustable kettlebell, and I think I can hit most of the major muscle groups in an at-home workout.

thegrayman

Silver

Postby thegrayman » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:52 pm

Schedule doctor appointments for first thing in the morning. Hold yourself to getting routine checkups, etc. It's the easiest thing to just table appointments and never get around to rescheduling.

Put yourself first.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:16 pm

I do a mix of morning workouts (usually 2x during week and 1x on weekend) and incorporating exercise into my day. I walk to the office in the morning and have a standing desk, so I typically don't sit for the first few hours of the day, then sit for a bit, stand again, etc. I also try and take a 30-60 minute walk in the afternoon whenever I can, which ends up being about 2-3x a week, even in the winter when it is cold out. And finally, I have figured out what I like to eat and when I like to eat it, so I typically manage my calories by knowing that, for instance, I'll be eating a yogurt at 10am, a protein bar at 1130, an apple at 12, etc. If you end up becoming regimented and developing a similar daily schedule, this plan can work nicely.

Return to “Legal Employment�