Interview Setup Etiquette

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
GFox345

Bronze

Interview Setup Etiquette

Postby GFox345 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:05 pm

Hey everyone,

I landed 2 interviews at Litigation boutiques in Chicago and a few additional interviews with big firms for 1L SA positions. The big firms generally sent information about the people I would be interviewing with and in what order. The interviews are generally 3 to 5 hours long and the lit boutique ones involve lunch. However, the Lit boutiques did not provide me with a list of my interviewers, but I would like to have one to prepare so that I can ask people about their clerkships after school, some basic questions about the cases they are working on, other general professional conversation starters.

My question is: Is it appropriate to email and ask for a list of the people that I will be interviewing with or is not knowing part of the experience? I know. I am probably over-thinking it. Is doing this basic research a good idea/even worth the time?

Thanks!

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Re: Interview Setup Etiquette

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:08 pm

It doesn't really matter. IME, those lists regularly changed because people would get busy so they would sub other attorneys in. If anything, they'll give you a list once you get there so you can give it a quick look to see who clerked or whatever. Though I'm not sure why you'd care if they clerked...you're interviewing for a firm position, not a clerkship.

GFox345

Bronze

Postby GFox345 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:10 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:It doesn't really matter. IME, those lists regularly changed because people would get busy so they would sub other attorneys in. If anything, they'll give you a list once you get there so you can give it a quick look to see who clerked or whatever. Though I'm not sure why you'd care if they clerked...you're interviewing for a firm position, not a clerkship.

Yeah. I was just looking up the clerkship info so that I could make conversation over lunch if they're not talking about normal stuff. I generally am just not sure what level of preparation is expected. I just wanted to get a better sense of whether this research is even worth it.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:53 pm

Maybe lit boutiques have a different atmosphere re interviewing, but I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about who an associate or partner clerked for. I think asking about firm experience is going to be more relevant during a firm interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:19 pm

If one of the boutiques is Eimer Stahl, they might send you the list the night before the interview. (CB and ding several years ago. Still remember the night before the interview thing because first CB ever.)

GFox345

Bronze

Postby GFox345 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:11 am

Anon, one of the Lit Boutiques I am talking about is Eimer Stahl. Would you mind telling me more about how it went?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:47 am

I honestly don't remember much. It's been a while and OCI kind of made all my interviews blend together. The only thing I know for sure happened during my ES CB was an interview with a partner (blonde woman, IIRC) who asked only behavioral questions (and took copious notes). I guess it was a standard CB otherwise (why law, why lit, why ES, how do you like law school, what was your favorite class...). No other interviewer stood out (i.e., I can't recall much/anything about them), which probably means they were all pretty easy to talk to. If I remember anything else, I'll post it. Best of luck!

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Postby foregetaboutdre » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:08 am

GFox345 wrote:Hey everyone,

I landed 2 interviews at Litigation boutiques in Chicago and a few additional interviews with big firms for 1L SA positions. The big firms generally sent information about the people I would be interviewing with and in what order. The interviews are generally 3 to 5 hours long and the lit boutique ones involve lunch. However, the Lit boutiques did not provide me with a list of my interviewers, but I would like to have one to prepare so that I can ask people about their clerkships after school, some basic questions about the cases they are working on, other general professional conversation starters.

My question is: Is it appropriate to email and ask for a list of the people that I will be interviewing with or is not knowing part of the experience? I know. I am probably over-thinking it. Is doing this basic research a good idea/even worth the time?

Thanks!

Feel free to ask for a list ahead of time. Don't demand a list, but feel free to e-mail HR and ask.

Return to “Legal Employment�