2L/3L: Best Path To Gain Practical Skills/Experience

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

2L/3L: Best Path To Gain Practical Skills/Experience

Postby CapKirk » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:29 am

I am in a fortunate position to have offers to work as a manager (and general legal advisor) at several medium sized corporations ($10-150mil. cap) immediately upon graduating from the T14 I am currently a 2L at. Honestly, I never really had the intention of going to law school with the goal of ever practicing law full-time. Instead, I simply wanted to have the legal background to make more informed decision when managing a business. My duties would entail, but aren't limited to, overseeing general operations, advising on general legal matters (risk mitigation, employee hiring/termination, government contracts and private agreements, various licensing and supply/output contracts, etc.), and potentially acquiring corporations.

I understand that mastering law school exams is very different from having sound, practical legal judgment and transactional skills, and was therefore wondering what path you recommend I take prior to accepting a business manager position. To be clear, I do not necessarily care too much about the money or reputational benefit of being an associate at a big law firm, but I am mostly concerned about the substantive skills that I will acquire and which are transferable to an in-house position.

Please let me know whether being a summer associate (and then an associate for a couple years), working for a small general law firm with a great mentor, clerking for a judge, no experience at all, or perhaps another option will best prepare me to be a general legal advisor and manager at a business.

Much appreciated. Thanks.

Return to “Legal Employment”