1L job search C/O 2019

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 1L job search C/O 2019

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:DLA still hasn't got back to me. Its been little over 2 weeks and they said hopefully about a week. Another office told me about a week, its been over now and nothing. Have three other call backs that didn't give me timelines, but it's been awhile. Why won't anyone just get back to me with something. Ah! I suck at patience.

If you don't mind sharing, what are you stats?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:DLA still hasn't got back to me. Its been little over 2 weeks and they said hopefully about a week. Another office told me about a week, its been over now and nothing. Have three other call backs that didn't give me timelines, but it's been awhile. Why won't anyone just get back to me with something. Ah! I suck at patience.

T6 top 5% with work experience

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For those keeping score at home ...
Screeners coming up this week for Alston Bird, Frankfurt Kurnit, Weil, and Sheppard Mullin/Mastercard; all for NYC. Seems like a bunch of firms are just getting around to screeners now - I applied for almost all of these at the beginning of Dec.
T4-10, top 5-10%, Non-tradish/decent work experience

Don't know how quoting an anon goes, but...did you hear back from your Alsotn & Bird screener? Also had one the week of Feb 6th

My screener was yesterday ... got pushed because of the NYC snow day. They told me I would hear back today (that didn't happen) or early next week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Did you apply to one office or multiple?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Did you apply to one office or multiple?

Not the above poster, but I applied to multiple and then during my screener was asked to choose only one office. But I applied to a diversity position (though my interviewer did not even recall that I had applied for the diversity position) so maybe that's different.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Screeners coming up this week for Alston Bird, Frankfurt Kurnit, Weil, and Sheppard Mullin/Mastercard; all for NYC. Seems like a bunch of firms are just getting around to screeners now - I applied for almost all of these at the beginning of Dec.

Don't know how quoting an anon goes, but...did you hear back from your Alsotn & Bird screener? Also had one the week of Feb 6th

My screener was yesterday ... got pushed because of the NYC snow day. They told me I would hear back today (that didn't happen) or early next week.

Have you heard back from Weil yet? And if not, did they give you an estimated timeline that it is now past... not that this has happened to me lol

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Have you heard back from Weil yet? And if not, did they give you an estimated timeline that it is now past... not that this has happened to me lol

Weil also got pushed because of snow ... interviewed there two days ago. They said it would be a quick turnaround, I believe they said I'd know within a week. I wonder whether some NYC offices are running a little behind because weather forced them to reschedule interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Weil also got pushed because of snow ... interviewed there two days ago. They said it would be a quick turnaround, I believe they said I'd know within a week. I wonder whether some NYC offices are running a little behind because weather forced them to reschedule interviews.

Yea maybe. They told me the same thing, and it's now past a week with no word. I'd like to think they are just behind but my brain immediately goes to, no word cus no offer :/

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:59 pm

When you receive something that says "Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to applicants individually. If our selection committee is interested in scheduling an interview, you will hear from us," does that mean do not send us follow-up emails?

I'm sending out LOCIs and have run across a couple with this "don't call us, we'll call you" tone. Follow up or not?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When you receive something that says "Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to applicants individually. If our selection committee is interested in scheduling an interview, you will hear from us," does that mean do not send us follow-up emails?

I'm sending out LOCIs and have run across a couple with this "don't call us, we'll call you" tone. Follow up or not?

I had a couple that were online apps and the confirmation said as much, so I didn't bother finding an email to send an LOCI. Not sure if that's the right move though

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Posted this on a Nashville firm post, but then realized this was probably a more appropriate thread. Has anyone heard back from any Nashville firms for 1L summer? Recently had OCIs with a few Nashville firms, wasn't sure if any callbacks have gone out yet?

dinged via mail from sherrard today

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:When you receive something that says "Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to applicants individually. If our selection committee is interested in scheduling an interview, you will hear from us," does that mean do not send us follow-up emails?

I had a couple that were online apps and the confirmation said as much, so I didn't bother finding an email to send an LOCI. Not sure if that's the right move though

Wait, you guys are sending LOCIs? What's your success rate with that?

UVA2B

Gold

Postby UVA2B » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Wait, you guys are sending LOCIs? What's your success rate with that?

I could be wrong about this as I have no data to back it up, but I can't imagine this is a good move. Law firms are not like law schools. They have a set number of SA spots that they want to fill, and they will fill those spots with candidates through a pretty standardized hiring process that includes a substantial applicant pool of qualified candidates. Showing continued interest in their firm is pretty silly, because of course they know you're interested. I sincerely doubt a hiring committee is going to look at two candidates who have not gone through their interview process (I'm assuming these LOCI are sent pre-screener and not post CB, but regardless) and thought that candidate is suddenly worth another look or deserves to enter the hiring process. If you were ever good enough for a screener and/or CB interview, they would have given you one. If one of their offerees declines the spot, they'll naturally move down the list of those they wanted to pursue. Their metrics for making these decisions probably have zero to do with interest in the firm.

Law firm hiring for 1L's in particular is a game where the applicant has zero leverage in getting an offer because the applicant pool is so large. Law firms won't feel similar market stressors of fighting for qualified candidates like law schools do. Besides, the LOCI that helps in some admissions decisions gives you the bargaining chip of having numbers that will be reported to a ranking system that drives hollow prestige perceptions. Nothing about the candidates that a law firm brings in for a 1L SA does anything to improve their brand to their clients, which is all they care about.

I doubt it does any particular harm, but in terms of being worth the effort, I'd be highly skeptical.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:14 am

I would maybe wait until you have an offer from somebody. Doesn't necessarily have to be a firm, but it is appropriate to email all outstanding apps with - "Hello, I am writing to inform you that I have a competing deadline in 2 weeks. I remain very interested in an internship with blah, blah,...".

daisrt

Bronze

Postby daisrt » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:12 am

I feel like I'm back in the law school application process again, where I dreaded weekends and holidays because it meant no movement from adcomms. Except this time I'm waiting on recruiters. :(

(oh and happy President's Day, everyone!)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:01 pm

Any news from Goodwin Procter or Foley Lardner?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any news from Goodwin Procter or Foley Lardner?

I heard Foley Chicago has been doing interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:54 pm

Anybody have a email template for timeline for the hiring process? Hitting two weeks soon and I haven't received a ding/ CB yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody have a email template for timeline for the hiring process? Hitting two weeks soon and I haven't received a ding/ CB yet.

But you had a screener? Probably a ding and unless you have an offer elsewhere, probably not recommended to reach out. If it's DLA, welcome to the club.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anybody have a email template for timeline for the hiring process? Hitting two weeks soon and I haven't received a ding/ CB yet.

But you had a screener? Probably a ding and unless you have an offer elsewhere, probably not recommended to reach out. If it's DLA, welcome to the club.

"If it's DLA, welcome to the club" LOL

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

No, it's not. But I'm hoping, they at least let me know something :( . It's becoming discouraging since a lot of my friends have secured some type of jobs at firms. I'm looking into jobs that don't pay now...and it's heart breaking. Hopefully, 2L OCI is better since hopefully my grades improve some

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

No, it's not. But I'm hoping, they at least let me know something :( . It's becoming discouraging since a lot of my friends have secured some type of jobs at firms. I'm looking into jobs that don't pay now...and it's heart breaking. Hopefully, 2L OCI is better since hopefully my grades improve some

Yeah, don't fret about it! And hopefully this week is the week we hear back from DLA. It just...has to be...haha

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah, don't fret about it! And hopefully this week is the week we hear back from DLA. It just...has to be...haha

Just watch it drag into next week...wonder how many people they interviewed for their very limited 1L spots..

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:41 pm

Ballard Spahr LA ding. Guess they're working today.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:19 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Legal Employment?