1L job search C/O 2019

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lymenheimer

Gold

Re: 1L job search C/O 2019

Postby lymenheimer » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:09 pm

daisrt wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any los angeles movement?

Got my first LA firm screener request this week. Lower T14 top 25%. For other LA firms, the only movement has been emails saying "we'll get back to you as soon as we can"

What firm? (if you don't mind saying)

PM me

(Doesnt realize you cant pm anon)

Lol my bad, I was struggling there

At least you made the effort. The anon abuse in this thread is ridiculous for the lack of information being provided.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I talked to someone who worked there last summer as a 1L and that person said it was 1k/w

Hence the word "used" to only be a 2 week program. This is the first year they have changed it.

Yeah, definitely recall hiring partner saying 1Ls and 2Ls get same compensation. But I've heard the 1k thing floating around too.

They're paying market, 3.5 a week. Had an offer from one of their west coast offices.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:46 pm

Anyone hear from Irell yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I talked to someone who worked there last summer as a 1L and that person said it was 1k/w

Hence the word "used" to only be a 2 week program. This is the first year they have changed it.

Yeah, definitely recall hiring partner saying 1Ls and 2Ls get same compensation. But I've heard the 1k thing floating around too.

They're paying market, 3.5 a week. Had an offer from one of their west coast offices.

It seems like DLA Piper is almost done giving out offers nationwide

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I have an interview with them this afternoon

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Doubt it. People I know just had interviews this week. At least in Baltimore.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Which office?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:14 pm

People who have applied to Verizon- anyone know the timeline from passing the video interview to getting invited for an in person interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

CB or screener?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Did anyone get rejected? It seems like they're just interviewing more and more people...
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Did anyone get rejected? It seems like they're just interviewing more and more people...

I have a friend who had a screener last week and rejected a couple days later. But for the most part it seems like they're just hanging onto people. And when I had my screener last week I was told I wouldn't hear either way for 2+ weeks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:43 pm

This is probably a stupid question (because I'm pretty sure I know what the answer is going to be): I applied online for an SA, and the app let you choose multiple office locations (which I did) if you didn't have one specific preference. Today I received a ding sent from their Dallas office. There was nothing in the email to indicate whether or not the ding was just for Dallas, so should I take this as a firm-wide rejection?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This is probably a stupid question (because I'm pretty sure I know what the answer is going to be): I applied online for an SA, and the app let you choose multiple office locations (which I did) if you didn't have one specific preference. Today I received a ding sent from their Dallas office. There was nothing in the email to indicate whether or not the ding was just for Dallas, so should I take this as a firm-wide rejection?

I wouldn't. From your description, it seems like each office reviews candidates independently of each other. If I were you, I would send an email to the other offices reconfirming your interest in the position (don't mention your ding, obviously).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:25 pm

DLA still hasn't got back to me. Its been little over 2 weeks and they said hopefully about a week. Another office told me about a week, its been over now and nothing. Have three other call backs that didn't give me timelines, but it's been awhile. Why won't anyone just get back to me with something. Ah! I suck at patience.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:DLA still hasn't got back to me. Its been little over 2 weeks and they said hopefully about a week. Another office told me about a week, its been over now and nothing. Have three other call backs that didn't give me timelines, but it's been awhile. Why won't anyone just get back to me with something. Ah! I suck at patience.

The vague timelines are really frustrating. I've only had one firm give me something specific. Their committee meets Monday, and they said they will contact me Monday evening or Tuesday morning, but that remains to be seen.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hogan Lovells SF office offer today, callback last Friday. IP team. T30 school, top 10% (if not 5%), engineering degree with 3+ years work experience.

Do you plan to accept that offer? Is this for the Hogan Lovells SF's 1L SA or patent summer SA?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hogan Lovells SF office offer today, callback last Friday. IP team. T30 school, top 10% (if not 5%), engineering degree with 3+ years work experience.

Do you plan to accept that offer? Is this for the Hogan Lovells SF's 1L SA or patent summer SA?

Yes, I already accepted. It's a great team. It's for the patent summer SA

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:DLA still hasn't got back to me. Its been little over 2 weeks and they said hopefully about a week. Another office told me about a week, its been over now and nothing. Have three other call backs that didn't give me timelines, but it's been awhile. Why won't anyone just get back to me with something. Ah! I suck at patience.

Yeah it's frustrating when that happens. It just feels like they're stringing you along for what will likely be a rejection

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:30 pm

On the bright side, it doesn't seem like they have given out any offers so you still have a good shot!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:34 pm

Question for those of you that are more knowledgeable than I...

I just got an offer from a firm that pays well below market for biglaw. Does this type of job move me out of the running for a big law 2L SA next year?

My grades are on the biglaw border for my school fwiw.

Edit: Firm is about 30-40 attorneys

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Question for those of you that are more knowledgeable than I...

I just got an offer from a firm that pays well below market for biglaw. Does this type of job move me out of the running for a big law 2L SA next year?

My grades are on the biglaw border for my school fwiw.

Edit: Firm is about 30-40 attorneys

No. Very few 1Ls get big law summer spots. So long as you are working in a legal role, you'll be fine (setting aside grades, school, etc).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:53 pm

I have an offer for a local government position here that pays, but not great. I'm still waiting to hear back from several firms.

I've heard that once you have an offer you can inform the other firms and ask for a quicker turnaround with their decision but how would one phrase this without coming across as impatient or dickish? Any sample emails somewhere?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have an offer for a local government position here that pays, but not great. I'm still waiting to hear back from several firms.

I've heard that once you have an offer you can inform the other firms and ask for a quicker turnaround with their decision but how would one phrase this without coming across as impatient or dickish? Any sample emails somewhere?

Would like to know this as well. I have an offer from Bristol-Myers that expires soon, but the firm I did a callback with didn't give me a timeline for their decision.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those keeping score at home ...
Screeners coming up this week for Alston Bird, Frankfurt Kurnit, Weil, and Sheppard Mullin/Mastercard; all for NYC. Seems like a bunch of firms are just getting around to screeners now - I applied for almost all of these at the beginning of Dec.
T4-10, top 5-10%, Non-tradish/decent work experience

Don't know how quoting an anon goes, but...did you hear back from your Alsotn & Bird screener? Also had one the week of Feb 6th

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have an offer for a local government position here that pays, but not great. I'm still waiting to hear back from several firms.

Would like to know this as well. I have an offer from Bristol-Myers that expires soon, but the firm I did a callback with didn't give me a timeline for their decision.

I don't think it's dickish to inquire about the status of your application because you have an offer that will expire in X days. DLA Piper told me to notify them when I had an offer from another firm.

Return to “Legal Employment?