1L job search C/O 2019

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 325132
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L job search C/O 2019

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:52 pm

Venable DC ding via email

Anonymous User
Posts: 325132
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L job search C/O 2019

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:18 pm

USAO and ACLU offers :) So pumped!

Anonymous User
Posts: 325132
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L job search C/O 2019

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:52 pm

Has anyone heard back from DLA Piper Chicago after callbacks?

Anonymous User
Posts: 325132
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L job search C/O 2019

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone hear back from Cravath after a screener? If so, what was the turnaround time?


Interested in this as well

Anonymous User
Posts: 325132
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L job search C/O 2019

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:32 am

Just finished up OCI today, and I think I may have overdone the enthusiasm. By the end of the day, I had gotten pretty comfortable with my answers and the screener format and had lost all nervousness. The firm I was most interested in was my final interview of the day (and I was their last person to interview as well). During the interview, they seemed very friendly. We discussed mutual interests, and I thought everything had gone well. Later in the day I sent them a fairly effusive thank-you email. The reply I got felt pretty curt, it just said "Good luck with the rest of the process."

I really wanted to come across well and be obviously excited about the prospect of working there, but now I'm thinking that maybe I should've taken the opposite approach. I'm top third (3.6x) at a t20 (UT/Vandy/UCLA) so I was a marginal candidate for this firm anyway -maybe a better strategy would've been to maintain a more serious demeanor. I realized after the interview that I had done most of the talking and maybe they were being politely tolerant until my 20 min were up. I think I blew it.

A one line reply to my enthusiastic thank-you is pretty much a nope, right?

Anonymous User
Posts: 325132
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L job search C/O 2019

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just finished up OCI today, and I think I may have overdone the enthusiasm. By the end of the day, I had gotten pretty comfortable with my answers and the screener format and had lost all nervousness. The firm I was most interested in was my final interview of the day (and I was their last person to interview as well). During the interview, they seemed very friendly. We discussed mutual interests, and I thought everything had gone well. Later in the day I sent them a fairly effusive thank-you email. The reply I got felt pretty curt, it just said "Good luck with the rest of the process."

I really wanted to come across well and be obviously excited about the prospect of working there, but now I'm thinking that maybe I should've taken the opposite approach. I'm top third (3.6x) at a t20 (UT/Vandy/UCLA) so I was a marginal candidate for this firm anyway -maybe a better strategy would've been to maintain a more serious demeanor. I realized after the interview that I had done most of the talking and maybe they were being politely tolerant until my 20 min were up. I think I blew it.

A one line reply to my enthusiastic thank-you is pretty much a nope, right?

Don't overthink it, and don't fret about it now. Definitely don't reply, though.

I don't think it's an automatic nope. I think it's pretty standard for employers to say "good luck" and it doesn't mean anything.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325132
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L job search C/O 2019

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:15 am

"Good luck with the rest of the process" just kinda felt like "well we won't be seeing that person ever again." I've read that screeners generally know the minute you leave if they're going to give you a callback or not.
Hopefully I am reading too much into it.

Have people gotten CBs over the weekend?

Anonymous User
Posts: 325132
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L job search C/O 2019

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:"Good luck with the rest of the process" just kinda felt like "well we won't be seeing that person ever again." I've read that screeners generally know the minute you leave if they're going to give you a callback or not.
Hopefully I am reading too much into it.

Have people gotten CBs over the weekend?


As the previous poster said, it's a standard response. Sometimes even when they reply that they look forward to seeing you, they don't extend an offer. Don't read into it.

Npret

Silver
Posts: 1356
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:42 am

Re: 1L job search C/O 2019

Postby Npret » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just finished up OCI today, and I think I may have overdone the enthusiasm. By the end of the day, I had gotten pretty comfortable with my answers and the screener format and had lost all nervousness. The firm I was most interested in was my final interview of the day (and I was their last person to interview as well). During the interview, they seemed very friendly. We discussed mutual interests, and I thought everything had gone well. Later in the day I sent them a fairly effusive thank-you email. The reply I got felt pretty curt, it just said "Good luck with the rest of the process."

I really wanted to come across well and be obviously excited about the prospect of working there, but now I'm thinking that maybe I should've taken the opposite approach. I'm top third (3.6x) at a t20 (UT/Vandy/UCLA) so I was a marginal candidate for this firm anyway -maybe a better strategy would've been to maintain a more serious demeanor. I realized after the interview that I had done most of the talking and maybe they were being politely tolerant until my 20 min were up. I think I blew it.

A one line reply to my enthusiastic thank-you is pretty much a nope, right?


Firms usually send friendly and engaging people to do interviews. You can't tell from their demeanor what they are thinking.

This is why I'm against thank yous. But don't make assumptions until you get an answer. Stop reading the tea leaves.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325132
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L job search C/O 2019

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just finished up OCI today, and I think I may have overdone the enthusiasm. By the end of the day, I had gotten pretty comfortable with my answers and the screener format and had lost all nervousness. The firm I was most interested in was my final interview of the day (and I was their last person to interview as well). During the interview, they seemed very friendly. We discussed mutual interests, and I thought everything had gone well. Later in the day I sent them a fairly effusive thank-you email. The reply I got felt pretty curt, it just said "Good luck with the rest of the process."

I really wanted to come across well and be obviously excited about the prospect of working there, but now I'm thinking that maybe I should've taken the opposite approach. I'm top third (3.6x) at a t20 (UT/Vandy/UCLA) so I was a marginal candidate for this firm anyway -maybe a better strategy would've been to maintain a more serious demeanor. I realized after the interview that I had done most of the talking and maybe they were being politely tolerant until my 20 min were up. I think I blew it.

A one line reply to my enthusiastic thank-you is pretty much a nope, right?


How do you guys have OCI in February? Is it OCI for your 2L summer? Or OCI for 1L summer? I've never heard of this.

User avatar
Mrocky2

New
Posts: 92
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:32 pm

Re: 1L job search C/O 2019

Postby Mrocky2 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just finished up OCI today, and I think I may have overdone the enthusiasm. By the end of the day, I had gotten pretty comfortable with my answers and the screener format and had lost all nervousness. The firm I was most interested in was my final interview of the day (and I was their last person to interview as well). During the interview, they seemed very friendly. We discussed mutual interests, and I thought everything had gone well. Later in the day I sent them a fairly effusive thank-you email. The reply I got felt pretty curt, it just said "Good luck with the rest of the process."

I really wanted to come across well and be obviously excited about the prospect of working there, but now I'm thinking that maybe I should've taken the opposite approach. I'm top third (3.6x) at a t20 (UT/Vandy/UCLA) so I was a marginal candidate for this firm anyway -maybe a better strategy would've been to maintain a more serious demeanor. I realized after the interview that I had done most of the talking and maybe they were being politely tolerant until my 20 min were up. I think I blew it.

A one line reply to my enthusiastic thank-you is pretty much a nope, right?


How do you guys have OCI in February? Is it OCI for your 2L summer? Or OCI for 1L summer? I've never heard of this.


It's for 1L's, I know Columbia has this

Anonymous User
Posts: 325132
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L job search C/O 2019

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:48 am

2 rejections this week. District Court judicial internship and DOI regional solicitor's office. No offers yet. Starting to kind of freak out. Median at a T6.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325132
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L job search C/O 2019

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2 rejections this week. District Court judicial internship and DOI regional solicitor's office. No offers yet. Starting to kind of freak out. Median at a T6.


I'm sure you'll get something! I feel like getting rejections is better than not knowing... 3 CBs and no response... I know that's a ding but it sucks that they won't tell you up front

Anonymous User
Posts: 325132
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L job search C/O 2019

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:2 rejections this week. District Court judicial internship and DOI regional solicitor's office. No offers yet. Starting to kind of freak out. Median at a T6.


I'm sure you'll get something! I feel like getting rejections is better than not knowing... 3 CBs and no response... I know that's a ding but it sucks that they won't tell you up front


It might not be a ding! I've heard that they do this when, actually, they're still considering you. Perhaps they extended an offer to someone and are waiting to hear back - and if they don't take the position, maybe they'll offer it to you. I know it's not ideal to be a back-up option, but hey, IMHO it's better than getting dinged outright.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325132
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L job search C/O 2019

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:2 rejections this week. District Court judicial internship and DOI regional solicitor's office. No offers yet. Starting to kind of freak out. Median at a T6.


I'm sure you'll get something! I feel like getting rejections is better than not knowing... 3 CBs and no response... I know that's a ding but it sucks that they won't tell you up front


It might not be a ding! I've heard that they do this when, actually, they're still considering you. Perhaps they extended an offer to someone and are waiting to hear back - and if they don't take the position, maybe they'll offer it to you. I know it's not ideal to be a back-up option, but hey, IMHO it's better than getting dinged outright.


I'm starting to wonder if my interview skills are just terrible. I felt good coming out of the CBs but clearly didn't do as well as I had thought. Any suggestions?

Anonymous User
Posts: 325132
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L job search C/O 2019

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:44 pm

Im with you ^. I've had 6 non-screener interviews so far - 3 firms and 3 gov't. Have received 3 dings and no offers so far. Was excited with how many interviews I got, but now am really starting to wonder what I am doing wrong so I can fix it for the immediate future and more importantly 2L summer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325132
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L job search C/O 2019

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Im with you ^. I've had 6 non-screener interviews so far - 3 firms and 3 gov't. Have received 3 dings and no offers so far. Was excited with how many interviews I got, but now am really starting to wonder what I am doing wrong so I can fix it for the immediate future and more importantly 2L summer.


Were all three dings from firms?

Keep in mind that firms are insanely competitive... they might be looking for a characteristic that you simply don't/can't have, e.g. a really high GPA, or URM status.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325132
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L job search C/O 2019

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Im with you ^. I've had 6 non-screener interviews so far - 3 firms and 3 gov't. Have received 3 dings and no offers so far. Was excited with how many interviews I got, but now am really starting to wonder what I am doing wrong so I can fix it for the immediate future and more importantly 2L summer.


Were all three dings from firms?

Keep in mind that firms are insanely competitive... they might be looking for a characteristic that you simply don't/can't have, e.g. a really high GPA, or URM status.


1 firm ding and 2 D.C. gov't dings. The other 2 firms did say it may be a few weeks, but hard not to assume the worst when others get offers the day or so after an interview. I know it's competitive - I guess was of the mindset that if you make it to the final interview round you have the qualifications. Time will tell.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325132
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L job search C/O 2019

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Im with you ^. I've had 6 non-screener interviews so far - 3 firms and 3 gov't. Have received 3 dings and no offers so far. Was excited with how many interviews I got, but now am really starting to wonder what I am doing wrong so I can fix it for the immediate future and more importantly 2L summer.


Were all three dings from firms?

Keep in mind that firms are insanely competitive... they might be looking for a characteristic that you simply don't/can't have, e.g. a really high GPA, or URM status.


1 firm ding and 2 D.C. gov't dings. The other 2 firms did say it may be a few weeks, but hard not to assume the worst when others get offers the day or so after an interview. I know it's competitive - I guess was of the mindset that if you make it to the final interview round you have the qualifications. Time will tell.


I get what you mean, and yea making it to the final round definitely means you're in the running, but I did an interview a couple of weeks back that included 40 people for about 3 spots, so like the above anon said, you could be great, but someone could be different, and that different is what they want. Having callbacks in general is a good sign so keep hope alive. I have many friends that either just get rejections or silence

Anonymous User
Posts: 325132
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L job search C/O 2019

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:34 pm

Should I expect a rejection if I had a callback over 2 weeks ago and have had no response yet?

Anonymous User
Posts: 325132
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L job search C/O 2019

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:57 pm

Had 2 CBs for in-house (both fortune 500) last week. As far as I'm aware, these were last rounds and they said I should expect to hear next week. If I don't hear anything next week, should I follow up? I would really like to get settled

Anonymous User
Posts: 325132
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L job search C/O 2019

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Should I expect a rejection if I had a callback over 2 weeks ago and have had no response yet?


Not necessarily, you could be a second choice and they have to wait the 14 days for the first person to accept or the firm could be inefficient and spread callbacks across a couple of weeks and you were in the first wave. I would however ask for an update if it has been 2 weeks. I personally am in a situation where I did a callback, it has been 3 weeks, I got an offer about 10 days ago from a different firm and I hit them up saying I have two weeks (back then). The recruiter was really nice initially and responsive, but she hasn't returned my emails or phone calls LOL, but she also won't flat out reject me so yea it happens.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325132
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L job search C/O 2019

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:34 pm

.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 325132
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L job search C/O 2019

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:50 pm

For those who had callbacks with firms, how long did it take to hear back after meeting with the screener?

Anonymous User
Posts: 325132
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 1L job search C/O 2019

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those who had callbacks with firms, how long did it take to hear back after meeting with the screener?


If there was actually a screener then 3-5 days usually, a week max



Return to “Legal Employment?

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.