1L job search C/O 2019 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 1L job search C/O 2019

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:07 am

UVA2B wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:When you receive something that says "Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to applicants individually. If our selection committee is interested in scheduling an interview, you will hear from us," does that mean do not send us follow-up emails?

I'm sending out LOCIs and have run across a couple with this "don't call us, we'll call you" tone. Follow up or not?
I had a couple that were online apps and the confirmation said as much, so I didn't bother finding an email to send an LOCI. Not sure if that's the right move though
Wait, you guys are sending LOCIs? What's your success rate with that?
I could be wrong about this as I have no data to back it up, but I can't imagine this is a good move. Law firms are not like law schools. They have a set number of SA spots that they want to fill, and they will fill those spots with candidates through a pretty standardized hiring process that includes a substantial applicant pool of qualified candidates. Showing continued interest in their firm is pretty silly, because of course they know you're interested. I sincerely doubt a hiring committee is going to look at two candidates who have not gone through their interview process (I'm assuming these LOCI are sent pre-screener and not post CB, but regardless) and thought that candidate is suddenly worth another look or deserves to enter the hiring process. If you were ever good enough for a screener and/or CB interview, they would have given you one. If one of their offerees declines the spot, they'll naturally move down the list of those they wanted to pursue. Their metrics for making these decisions probably have zero to do with interest in the firm.

Law firm hiring for 1L's in particular is a game where the applicant has zero leverage in getting an offer because the applicant pool is so large. Law firms won't feel similar market stressors of fighting for qualified candidates like law schools do. Besides, the LOCI that helps in some admissions decisions gives you the bargaining chip of having numbers that will be reported to a ranking system that drives hollow prestige perceptions. Nothing about the candidates that a law firm brings in for a 1L SA does anything to improve their brand to their clients, which is all they care about.

I doubt it does any particular harm, but in terms of being worth the effort, I'd be highly skeptical.
I got a request for an interview the same day I sent an LOCI. Of course, that could've been a coincidence - that was the only success out of several follow-ups I've sent. I agree that it's probably a waste of time, but I feel like I should be doing something (mainly out of desperation). It seems like everyone I know has an offer, and I haven't even had a CB. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:When you receive something that says "Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to respond to applicants individually. If our selection committee is interested in scheduling an interview, you will hear from us," does that mean do not send us follow-up emails?

I'm sending out LOCIs and have run across a couple with this "don't call us, we'll call you" tone. Follow up or not?
I had a couple that were online apps and the confirmation said as much, so I didn't bother finding an email to send an LOCI. Not sure if that's the right move though
Wait, you guys are sending LOCIs? What's your success rate with that?
I could be wrong about this as I have no data to back it up, but I can't imagine this is a good move. Law firms are not like law schools. They have a set number of SA spots that they want to fill, and they will fill those spots with candidates through a pretty standardized hiring process that includes a substantial applicant pool of qualified candidates. Showing continued interest in their firm is pretty silly, because of course they know you're interested. I sincerely doubt a hiring committee is going to look at two candidates who have not gone through their interview process (I'm assuming these LOCI are sent pre-screener and not post CB, but regardless) and thought that candidate is suddenly worth another look or deserves to enter the hiring process. If you were ever good enough for a screener and/or CB interview, they would have given you one. If one of their offerees declines the spot, they'll naturally move down the list of those they wanted to pursue. Their metrics for making these decisions probably have zero to do with interest in the firm.

Law firm hiring for 1L's in particular is a game where the applicant has zero leverage in getting an offer because the applicant pool is so large. Law firms won't feel similar market stressors of fighting for qualified candidates like law schools do. Besides, the LOCI that helps in some admissions decisions gives you the bargaining chip of having numbers that will be reported to a ranking system that drives hollow prestige perceptions. Nothing about the candidates that a law firm brings in for a 1L SA does anything to improve their brand to their clients, which is all they care about.

I doubt it does any particular harm, but in terms of being worth the effort, I'd be highly skeptical.
I got a request for an interview the same day I sent an LOCI. Of course, that could've been a coincidence - that was the only success out of several follow-ups I've sent. I agree that it's probably a waste of time, but I feel like I should be doing something (mainly out of desperation). It seems like everyone I know has an offer, and I haven't even had a CB. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
Do you have a general outline of what you said in the email? it's worth a shot

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Do you have a general outline of what you said in the email? it's worth a shot
It wasn't anything out of the ordinary. Just along the lines of: I realize how busy you are...just wanted to check in and express continued interest blah blah...excited about opportunity to learn x or take part in y ... asked if there was further info I could provide to help them decide as they moved forward in the hiring process. Tried my best to seem enthusiastic through the depression.

Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:31 am

How fast does Jones Day move from screener to requesting callback?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:How fast does Jones Day move from screener to requesting callback?
I thought Jones Day was done hiring. I know several people who got offers already and accepted them

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How fast does Jones Day move from screener to requesting callback?
I thought Jones Day was done hiring. I know several people who got offers already and accepted them
Which offices? I'm interviewing with a West Coast office today.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For those keeping score at home ...
Screeners coming up this week for Alston Bird, Frankfurt Kurnit, Weil, and Sheppard Mullin/Mastercard; all for NYC. Seems like a bunch of firms are just getting around to screeners now - I applied for almost all of these at the beginning of Dec.
T4-10, top 5-10%, Non-tradish/decent work experience
Don't know how quoting an anon goes, but...did you hear back from your Alsotn & Bird screener? Also had one the week of Feb 6th
My screener was yesterday ... got pushed because of the NYC snow day. They told me I would hear back today (that didn't happen) or early next week.
Have either of you heard back yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Screeners coming up this week for Alston Bird, Frankfurt Kurnit, Weil, and Sheppard Mullin/Mastercard; all for NYC. Seems like a bunch of firms are just getting around to screeners now - I applied for almost all of these at the beginning of Dec.
Don't know how quoting an anon goes, but...did you hear back from your Alsotn & Bird screener? Also had one the week of Feb 6th
My screener was yesterday ... got pushed because of the NYC snow day. They told me I would hear back today (that didn't happen) or early next week.
No. The HR person mentioned Monday and Tuesday as possible days I'd hear back ... but that may have been a mistake because they forgot about President's Day, so I'm trying not to get anxious unless I don't hear back by tomorrow.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:37 pm

Anybody else getting non-paid offers? How long are you intending to wait it out before accepting? I know you should respond to any offer ASAP, but a couple of firms I've interviewed with have stated they won't have a final decision for 3 more weeks or so. I really would like to make some $, but I'm afraid if I wait too long, I'll get shut out on legal employment altogether.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Which offices? I'm interviewing with a West Coast office today.
Jones Day NY and Chi seem to be pretty much done

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
No. The HR person mentioned Monday and Tuesday as possible days I'd hear back ... but that may have been a mistake because they forgot about President's Day, so I'm trying not to get anxious unless I don't hear back by tomorrow.
:lol:
Did they tell you they forgot about President's day? If not, it's a silly thing to assume that they recognize it as a day off.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:17 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Did they tell you they forgot about President's day? If not, it's a silly thing to assume that they recognize it as a day off.
Sad but true

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Sad but true
True. I'm trying to be optimistic.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:31 pm

Cravath ding via email.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:43 pm

Houston: Norton Rose and Jackson Walker dings over the past few days.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Houston: Norton Rose and Jackson Walker dings over the past few days.
Do you remember how long ago you applied/interviewed?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:25 pm

Cravath ding as well. Still no word from any of my 5 callbacks.... ugh. I feel like that means dings :/ you'd think 1 of 5 would work out.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Houston: Norton Rose and Jackson Walker dings over the past few days.
Do you mind giving your school + rank?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:26 pm

Is Freshfields hiring 1Ls?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:29 pm

Mayer Brown DC letting me know I wasn't qualified for their single position today. Whatever.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Do you mind giving your school + rank?
Univ Houston, Top 5%

For the other person: Norton Rose I applied back in January, no interview. Jackson Walker, OCI in January, callback two weeks ago.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:09 am

Guess this means there will be NRF movement soon...has anyone heard from LA/DC/NY offices?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:Guess this means there will be NRF movement soon...has anyone heard from LA/DC/NY offices?
NRF LA will not be hiring 1L's this year

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Guess this means there will be NRF movement soon...has anyone heard from LA/DC/NY offices?
NRF LA will not be hiring 1L's this year
You got an email about this from them?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Mayer Brown DC letting me know I wasn't qualified for their single position today. Whatever.
That email annoyed me haha

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”