1L job search C/O 2019 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 1L job search C/O 2019

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any news from Paul Hastings?
Some people were rejected yesterday. Look at the diversity thread.
Interview invite yesterday. It's a phone screener.
Same. Did you receive an email confirmation?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any news from Paul Hastings?
Some people were rejected yesterday. Look at the diversity thread.
Interview invite yesterday. It's a phone screener.
Same. Did you receive an email confirmation?
Not yet, they said Monday I would. What office for you? Atlanta?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:49 pm

Has anyone heard from Paul Hastings' LA/OC offices?
Also, to break from firm talk, has anyone interviewed with or heard from the Senate or House Judiciary Committees (in DC)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:56 pm

Just received a callback for an interview in late march. Hoping this goes well because it's probably my last chance honestly.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:37 pm

Any DOJ/FTC/SEC movement?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:30 pm

Bump on Akin Gump Pro Bono Scholars Program. Any offers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any DOJ/FTC/SEC movement?
Friend at lower t14 recently received SEC offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:17 pm

DLA Chicago made offers

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:27 pm

Friend has received both FTC and DOJ Offers. Any practical difference between the two if they would be in roughly the same equivalent division at either agency?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Friend has received both FTC and DOJ Offers. Any practical difference between the two if they would be in roughly the same equivalent division at either agency?
Depends the division - FTC Office of International Affairs is different from Bureau of Competition..

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:DLA Chicago made offers
Do you mind sharing the stats?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
What FTC and DOJ divisions?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:20 pm

Can I renege on an offer from a public interest organization to accept a 1L SA gig? There is funding for PI work (but not as much obviously), and both the PI org and the firm are not in my target market. (Also no repercussions from CSO but worried about burning bridges with org). Is reneging a viable option?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:35 pm

Thompson & Knight - Houston ding. They're done with their Houston class, they only took 2 1Ls.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can I renege on an offer from a public interest organization to accept a 1L SA gig? There is funding for PI work (but not as much obviously), and both the PI org and the firm are not in my target market. (Also no repercussions from CSO but worried about burning bridges with org). Is reneging a viable option?
I would. But you will look bad. You shouldn't have accepted it while still interviewing and waiting to hear back.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:14 pm

More advice solicitation: I have an offer which expires at the end of next week, but I'm waiting to hear from a callback I had early last week. At what point can I contact the firm I'm waiting on to let them know about my expiring offer? Contacting them barely a week after my interview seems distasteful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:More advice solicitation: I have an offer which expires at the end of next week, but I'm waiting to hear from a callback I had early last week. At what point can I contact the firm I'm waiting on to let them know about my expiring offer? Contacting them barely a week after my interview seems distasteful.
I'm in a similar position but with an even faster timeline. I have an offer which expires tomorrow at 5PM, but I'm waiting to hear from a callback I had last Friday. The CB Firm told me they would let me know by mid-week (so I was hopeful that would have been yesterday). Echoing the previous poster, is it distasteful to let them know I have an offer waiting?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:More advice solicitation: I have an offer which expires at the end of next week, but I'm waiting to hear from a callback I had early last week. At what point can I contact the firm I'm waiting on to let them know about my expiring offer? Contacting them barely a week after my interview seems distasteful.
I'm in a similar position but with an even faster timeline. I have an offer which expires tomorrow at 5PM, but I'm waiting to hear from a callback I had last Friday. The CB Firm told me they would let me know by mid-week (so I was hopeful that would have been yesterday). Echoing the previous poster, is it distasteful to let them know I have an offer waiting?
I think it's fair to contact them now and let them know of the urgency. Mid-week has passed. Did you tell them about the expiring offer during the CB?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
You need to let the firm know you have an offer. And probably should have let them know sooner. If they ding you, you weren't getting the job anyway. If they want you, they will make a decision faster.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I contacted a firm 4 business days after CB letting them know of a competing offer, and they extended me an offer the next day. Not distasteful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:58 pm

Contact them ASAP, you honestly could have done it sooner but oh well. I told an interviewer I had an offer IN the interview and they extended me an offer. Had another firm schedule a call back a week before they originally wanted and they still only had 3 days afterwards to decide...gave me an offer
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:58 pm

Double post
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:59 pm

DP

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I contacted a firm 4 business days after CB letting them know of a competing offer, and they extended me an offer the next day. Not distasteful.
Thanks. When you did this, did you hear back from the recruiter or was the next contact from them the offer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:46 pm

Similar situation:

Got a letter indicating "expression of interest" from a local gov agency and am in the process of submitting administrative materials(i am not sure if this should be considered an offer). Have a callback for a law firm next Mon. The gov agency asked me to get fingerprinted and complete the paperworks next Wed and I am not sure if the law firm would be able to get back to me then.

Is the "expression of interest" considered an offer? (they did say that if I reciprocate their interest then I should proceed to the later steps); And should I just tell the law firm that I would need them to get back to me by next Wed?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”