1L job search C/O 2019 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: 1L job search C/O 2019

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For those who had callbacks with firms, how long did it take to hear back after meeting with the screener?
If there was actually a screener then 3-5 days usually, a week max
It's been over a week for both of my screeners, and I'm starting to wonder why they won't reject me already. Thanks for the info!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For those who had callbacks with firms, how long did it take to hear back after meeting with the screener?
It's been over a week for both of my screeners, and I'm starting to wonder why they won't reject me already. Thanks for the info!
Had a screener ~3 weeks ago...emailed recruiter last week for a timeline and got no response. Awaiting a generic email ding at any point. Seems like some just get lost in the shuffle.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Not necessarily - I got callback offers from a couple of firms 2+ weeks after screener. And considering that I declined those callbacks and an offer from a different firm, that means they're still going to offer cbs to other people.

As others have mentioned, due to the limited number of 1L firm slots, you essentially have to wait until other people make they're decisions - especially for smaller firms that don't want to pay for many extra callbacks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2 rejections this week. District Court judicial internship and DOI regional solicitor's office. No offers yet. Starting to kind of freak out. Median at a T6.
Don't give up!!!

I had virtual radio silence - from both public and private apps - for nearly a month after I started applying, and was totally freaking out. Then numerous callbacks came in within a week, and I ended up with multiple offers - including a V10 and a top state gov't job.

Welcome to the randomness of the 1L job search.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Not necessarily - I got callback offers from a couple of firms 2+ weeks after screener. And considering that I declined those callbacks and an offer from a different firm, that means they're still going to offer cbs to other people.

As others have mentioned, due to the limited number of 1L firm slots, you essentially have to wait until other people make they're decisions - especially for smaller firms that don't want to pay for many extra callbacks.
Im the previously anon, definitely firm specific, I also only applied to large firms in NYC so my anecdotal evidence may not be the most helpful. However, as someone who has declined both callbacks and offers, it seemed like these places had already completed callbacks/did a lot of callbacks in the same timeframe (I oftentimes see other candidates at the firms while I'm there as well as have friends interviewing at the same places) so the next person in line would be someone who had a callback not someone who has had many weeks of silence after a screener. Then again thats NY. Either way, who the heck knows what these firms are thinking/doing haha

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Im the previously anon, definitely firm specific, I also only applied to large firms in NYC so my anecdotal evidence may not be the most helpful. However, as someone who has declined both callbacks and offers, it seemed like these places had already completed callbacks/did a lot of callbacks in the same timeframe (I oftentimes see other candidates at the firms while I'm there as well as have friends interviewing at the same places) so the next person in line would be someone who had a callback not someone who has had many weeks of silence after a screener. Then again thats NY. Either way, who the heck knows what these firms are thinking/doing haha
Previous anon here - totally agree.

If it's a really large NY firm and/or OP knows that they gave a lot of callbacks already, then it's almost definitely a ding. But if it's a medium or small firm, in a different market, or OP doesn't know if they've moved yet, then a week is still normal.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard back from DLA Piper Chicago after callbacks?
^ this

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:52 pm

Any Paul Hastings movement?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:10 pm

Has anyone received invites for the Latham diversity leadership academy? How competitive are those spots?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any Paul Hastings movement?
Recently offered a spot in NY that I declined, not sure how helpful that is, but there has been some movement

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received invites for the Latham diversity leadership academy? How competitive are those spots?
I got one. But it's bc I was rejected from 1L fellowship so it seemed like a concession. And I imagine somewhat competitive, I mean it's a free trip to the west coast lol.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received invites for the Latham diversity leadership academy? How competitive are those spots?
I got one. But it's bc I was rejected from 1L fellowship so it seemed like a concession. And I imagine somewhat competitive, I mean it's a free trip to the west coast lol.
Thanks for letting us know. School/stats?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any Paul Hastings movement?
Recently offered a spot in NY that I declined, not sure how helpful that is, but there has been some movement
School/Stats/URM/Diverse?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard back from DLA Piper Chicago after callbacks?
^ this
This firm is reallllly taking their sweet time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:26 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
^ this
Yeah it seems like a lot of people are in the same boat. Wonder when they'll get back to us...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
^ this
When was your callback?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
^ this
Yeah it seems like a lot of people are in the same boat. Wonder when they'll get back to us...
I know people who had screeners last week..

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:27 am

I applied to Sidley Austin - Houston back in early January and just got an email today asking for EEO information. So maybe they're starting to decide on 1L SAs. Or not, who knows.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:I applied to Sidley Austin - Houston back in early January and just got an email today asking for EEO information. So maybe they're starting to decide on 1L SAs. Or not, who knows.
they've already done callbacks from UT and despite getting dinged i got this email too so i wouldn't read too much into it

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I applied to Sidley Austin - Houston back in early January and just got an email today asking for EEO information. So maybe they're starting to decide on 1L SAs. Or not, who knows.
they've already done callbacks from UT and despite getting dinged i got this email too so i wouldn't read too much into it
Yeah, I assumed 50/50 either it meant another interview or HR is just running slow and its completely disconnected from anything else.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
^ this
Dinged today (had callback)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:20 pm

If you don't mind can you share your stats?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you don't mind can you share your stats?
T14, top 1-5% (rough estimate)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If you don't mind can you share your stats?
T14, top 1-5% (rough estimate)
Woah they're being super selective...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”