Lateral from Patent Prosecution to Tech Transaction

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateral from Patent Prosecution to Tech Transaction

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:54 am

I am currently a junior associate at a well-known IP boutique firm. I do about 80% patent prosecution and 20% IP diligence. I am interested in switching to tech transactions and maybe eventually go in-house. When should I start looking for new positions? My worry is that if I leave too early, I won't have enough prosecution experience to make the switch to in-house, but if I leave too late, then it might be more difficult to switch practice area. Any advice? Thanks!

Abbie Doobie

Silver

Re: Lateral from Patent Prosecution to Tech Transaction

Postby Abbie Doobie » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:01 am

how much pros experience do you have

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:46 pm

About one and half year

jhett

Bronze

Postby jhett » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:13 pm

Many in-house tech trans positions are separate from prosecution positions and they don't ask for pros experience. So you can probably start the lateral hunt now. One option is to lateral to a place that lets you do both, and then you can transition your time from pros to tech trans.

Return to “Legal Employment�