What courses to take for an incoming tax SA?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What courses to take for an incoming tax SA?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:12 am

I'm currently a 2L with a SA offer locked down. Although things could obviously change, I will most likely wind up in the tax group. Should I attempt to take all of the tax courses offered by my school this spring or should I take a couple of easier fluff courses instead? Would it look better for me to come into the summer with all of the courses under my belt?

I am currently thinking about dropping international tax. The reason I want to drop it is because it is an extremely small class (around 15 people), has a forced curve, and is full of tax gunners. I was in a similar situation last semester with a different class and I got median pwned despite putting in a decent amount of effort. On the other hand, it seems like it would be topic that comes up a decent amount in practice.

Anonymous User

Re: What courses to take for an incoming tax SA?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm currently a 2L with a SA offer locked down. Although things could obviously change, I will most likely wind up in the tax group. Should I attempt to take all of the tax courses offered by my school this spring or should I take a couple of easier fluff courses instead? Would it look better for me to come into the summer with all of the courses under my belt?

I am currently thinking about dropping international tax. The reason I want to drop it is because it is an extremely small class (around 15 people), has a forced curve, and is full of tax gunners. I was in a similar situation last semester with a different class and I got median pwned despite putting in a decent amount of effort. On the other hand, it seems like it would be topic that comes up a decent amount in practice.

biz income tax

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm currently a 2L with a SA offer locked down. Although things could obviously change, I will most likely wind up in the tax group. Should I attempt to take all of the tax courses offered by my school this spring or should I take a couple of easier fluff courses instead? Would it look better for me to come into the summer with all of the courses under my belt?

biz income tax

Already took partnership, will take corporate and financial instrument this semester.

Is international a must-take for the summer or can I hold off until 3L?

BigZuck

Diamond

Postby BigZuck » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:36 am

Some firms don't even care if you take FIT, you can still do tax stuff. You likely don't need to take all those classes, especially not as a 2L. They probably won't expect you to know anything as a SA. You also won't know anything as an incoming associate so you might want to start disabusing yourself of the notion that any of these classes are crucial. Hell, they might not even be helpful.

Personally I'd just take stuff you're interested in/is easy/has the best curve, etc.

*This is just based on what I've seen so far, your firm might be different and YMMV I guess.

Wol

New

Postby Wol » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

biz income tax

Already took partnership, will take corporate and financial instrument this semester.

Is international a must-take for the summer or can I hold off until 3L?

Not a must-take for your SA, but it's a fun class. Personal favorite class of all time.

My school doesn't even offer partnership or financial instruments (plus I didn't take international until 3L), and that didn't seem to hold me back for my summer. You probably don't have to worry too much about preparing for your SA.

Edit: maybe your firm is different though, I don't know.

nealric

Postby nealric » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:27 pm

Law schools are all over the map in terms of what tax classes they offer and what they call them. Your choices are a lot broader if you attend a school with a good tax LLM program.

For an SA, you aren't expected to know much. I did my SA with nothing but basic federal income tax. However, I think the general foundation you would want for a new tax associate are:

Federal Income Tax
Corporate Income Tax I (operations)
Corporate Inocme Tax II (M&A)
Partnership Tax
Tax Accounting
International (either combined inbound and outbound or separate courses for each)

Courses like taxation of financial instruments could be helpful or not depending on your firm's practice. You might also consider exempt organizations if your firm does any pension or exempt bond work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:34 pm

nealric wrote:Law schools are all over the map in terms of what tax classes they offer and what they call them. Your choices are a lot broader if you attend a school with a good tax LLM program.

For an SA, you aren't expected to know much. I did my SA with nothing but basic federal income tax. However, I think the general foundation you would want for a new tax associate are:

Federal Income Tax
Partnership Tax
Tax Accounting
International (either combined inbound and outbound or separate courses for each)

Courses like taxation of financial instruments could be helpful or not depending on your firm's practice. You might also consider exempt organizations if your firm does any pension or exempt bond work.

Thanks! I think I'm going to drop international and keep financial instrument. I agree financial instrument is prob the less useful of the 2 but it's being taught by a rockstar professor that I've really enjoyed before. I'll probably take international in 3L when IDGAF about grades.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:40 pm

Wol wrote:Not a must-take for your SA, but it's a fun class. Personal favorite class of all time.

My school doesn't even offer partnership or financial instruments (plus I didn't take international until 3L), and that didn't seem to hold me back for my summer. You probably don't have to worry too much about preparing for your SA.

Edit: maybe your firm is different though, I don't know.

Thanks! I'm def taking it for 3L but it might be a lot given I'm already taking Corp tax and Financial Instrument tax.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:01 pm

Courses with "tax" in them.

oliv8518

New

Postby oliv8518 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:07 pm

nealric wrote:Law schools are all over the map in terms of what tax classes they offer and what they call them. Your choices are a lot broader if you attend a school with a good tax LLM program.

Federal Income Tax
Partnership Tax
Tax Accounting

RT all of this. Did my SA with only FIT as well and did just fine. The general consensus from the tax partners and associates was that taking Corporate, Partnership and International Tax would be sufficient for when you start

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:14 pm

Something I did during my SA (another specialized area of law) that seemed to frame me in a good light:

Don't advertise that you have taken the course. Obviously, if someone asks, say that you have. But if someone says "hey do you know much about xyz" say "yeah, I know a bit, but i'd love to work on an assignment in that area to learn more." the assigning attorney will think you know nothing about the topic, and when you complete said assignment, you will seem (in their eyes) to have caught on quickly. This leaves a far better impression than saying "oh yeah, I've taken that class and got the book award!" only to turn around and do an average job with the assignment. Undersell and over deliver.

Return to “Legal Employment�