How to network as a graduate in the Bay Area where you didn't go to any school?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How to network as a graduate in the Bay Area where you didn't go to any school?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:17 pm

I didn't go to any school (T30) in the Bay Area, no family ties, etc but I have work experience in startups, new biz dev, etc and the firms have been interested in me almost only because of my work experience. I also took a bunch of corporate classes.

I am looking for a law firm job.

zot1

Gold

Re: How to network as a graduate in the Bay Area where you didn't go to any school?

Postby zot1 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:21 pm

Not all that different than as you would as a law student: hit up bar associations, find alumni from your schools in the area, tell your friends on Facebook you're looking for a position in the Bay Area, etc.

Anonymous User

Re: How to network as a graduate in the Bay Area where you didn't go to any school?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:24 pm

zot1 wrote:Not all that different than as you would as a law student: hit up bar associations, find alumni from your schools in the area, etc.

I actually didn't network while in law school.

I did a few informational interviews but I wouldn't call it networking. After the call, we haven't contacted at all. I actually don't know how to network. Do you folks stay in contact with partners/associates you had informational interviews with? HOW? They don't respond to my greeting emails and there is no incentive for them to network with me.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:31 pm

Networking is hard in general, but even harder for some. I include myself in the latter group.

If you've emailed contacts to stay in touch, and they never replied to you, move on. Make new contacts. As a law student, I met people who offered to pass my resume around but I also met a lot of people who never even replied to my "it was great to meet you" emails.

Some people you meet will be more helpful than others. You just gotta keep looking until you find the helpful people.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:54 pm

OP. I got two summer jobs without networking, not through OCI but because of my work experience, the firms that hired me instantly knew that I would be a good fit for them.

So just do an informational interview? But as a graduate, I know much better now than when I was a law student.. what questions can I ask? About the firm practice?

What if there is NO alum in my current market..?

Return to “Legal Employment�