Sending my updated resume to a partner who didn't hire me?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 327366
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Sending my updated resume to a partner who didn't hire me?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:53 pm

Would it be weird to send my updated resume, which is better than before, to a biglaw partner who did my call-back interview (and a final decision maker) but didn't give me a summer associate position?

He seemed very interested in me during the Skype interview but I didn't get the job. I am now in the area and anytime I can see him in person.

What would be the appropriate line to send my updated resume and network with him?

User avatar
zot1

Gold
Posts: 4476
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: Sending my updated resume to a partner who didn't hire me?

Postby zot1 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:55 pm

Move on.

User avatar
mjb447

Silver
Posts: 1280
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:36 am

Re: Sending my updated resume to a partner who didn't hire me?

Postby mjb447 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:11 pm

Sounds like you're still angling to get a job out of this guy, in which case...
zot1 wrote:Move on.

iliketurtles123

Bronze
Posts: 267
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:14 pm

Re: Sending my updated resume to a partner who didn't hire me?

Postby iliketurtles123 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:16 pm

Hm I disagree.

Depends on how long ago the interview was, and how well you connected with him.

I had an interview where the partner really liked me but didn't get an offer for summer for logistical reasons. For 3L hiring I totally would have emailed a resume to him (but i didn't because i didn't want to work in that market).

If you're asking for an SA position, don't. Because they're already rejected you. If it's for a 3L position (after you finished your other summer job) or if it's been a while and you're looking to lateral, I think it's fine to email.

I'd approach it like a cold networking email and attach your resume as a "reference".

User avatar
zot1

Gold
Posts: 4476
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: Sending my updated resume to a partner who didn't hire me?

Postby zot1 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:19 pm

iliketurtles123 wrote:Hm I disagree.

Depends on how long ago the interview was, and how well you connected with him.

I had an interview where the partner really liked me but didn't get an offer for summer for logistical reasons. For 3L hiring I totally would have emailed a resume to him (but i didn't because i didn't want to work in that market).

If you're asking for an SA position, don't. Because they're already rejected you. If it's for a 3L position (after you finished your other summer job) or if it's been a while and you're looking to lateral, I think it's fine to email.

I'd approach it like a cold networking email and attach your resume as a "reference".


S/he is asking for a summer association position.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327366
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Sending my updated resume to a partner who didn't hire me?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:23 pm

zot1 wrote:
iliketurtles123 wrote:Hm I disagree.

Depends on how long ago the interview was, and how well you connected with him.

I had an interview where the partner really liked me but didn't get an offer for summer for logistical reasons. For 3L hiring I totally would have emailed a resume to him (but i didn't because i didn't want to work in that market).

If you're asking for an SA position, don't. Because they're already rejected you. If it's for a 3L position (after you finished your other summer job) or if it's been a while and you're looking to lateral, I think it's fine to email.

I'd approach it like a cold networking email and attach your resume as a "reference".


S/he is asking for a summer association position.


Op. No I don't. Where is this coming from? It's been two years.

User avatar
zot1

Gold
Posts: 4476
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: Sending my updated resume to a partner who didn't hire me?

Postby zot1 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Would it be weird to send my updated resume, which is better than before, to a biglaw partner who did my call-back interview (and a final decision maker) but didn't give me a summer associate position?

He seemed very interested in me during the Skype interview but I didn't get the job. I am now in the area and anytime I can see him in person.

What would be the appropriate line to send my updated resume and network with him?


Where in here do you say it's been two years?

User avatar
zot1

Gold
Posts: 4476
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: Sending my updated resume to a partner who didn't hire me?

Postby zot1 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:32 pm

Anyway, now that you've provided additional info, the advice you got from turtle is solid.

User avatar
rpupkin

Platinum
Posts: 5659
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Sending my updated resume to a partner who didn't hire me?

Postby rpupkin » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
zot1 wrote:
iliketurtles123 wrote:Hm I disagree.

Depends on how long ago the interview was, and how well you connected with him.

I had an interview where the partner really liked me but didn't get an offer for summer for logistical reasons. For 3L hiring I totally would have emailed a resume to him (but i didn't because i didn't want to work in that market).

If you're asking for an SA position, don't. Because they're already rejected you. If it's for a 3L position (after you finished your other summer job) or if it's been a while and you're looking to lateral, I think it's fine to email.

I'd approach it like a cold networking email and attach your resume as a "reference".


S/he is asking for a summer association position.


Op. No I don't. Where is this coming from? It's been two years.

So you're an unemployed grad looking for work? You should be emailing everyone.

User avatar
mjb447

Silver
Posts: 1280
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:36 am

Re: Sending my updated resume to a partner who didn't hire me?

Postby mjb447 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:58 pm

Yeah, sorry: a fair number of people come here a few weeks or months after a rejection and ask if there's some way they can get a firm to reconsider. The answer in that situation is almost always no (and, an "updated resume" often hasn't changed that much over that short time period). Without additional context I assumed that that might be your situation.

With the passage of additional time and in your current situation, there's more potential gain from sending an updated resume. It's possible that it won't help you at all - unclear if you've cultivated the connection at all during the ensuing time, and the partner may seem "very interested" in everyone he interviews - but there's virtually no risk.

clerk1251

Bronze
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:35 am

Re: Sending my updated resume to a partner who didn't hire me?

Postby clerk1251 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:45 am

I'd approach the situation differently than you suggested.

Here's the way I see it:
- you interviewed and hit it off
- you didn't live in the area
- now you do
- you've got some great substantive experience since then

Assuming all of that is true, I'd hold off on sending the resume and simply email the partner to reconnect and let him know you are now in the area. You can briefly in the email mention all the great things you've been up to since you last saw him, but it's not necessary to do that and if you do, keep it only a few short lines. Then ask him if he'd be willing to meet up for lunch or coffee and share some advice regarding things you should be doing now to look for gainful employment, and any opportunities there might be for you a xyz (his) firm.

If your end goal is to get a job, you want to build a relationship that will help you a lot more than a cold-call type email.



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.