Let recruiter know of pending layoff?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Let recruiter know of pending layoff?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:50 am

Low hours, got the "talk" about moving on with a firm date for being laid off if I haven't found something by then, and wondering if this is something I should tell third-party recruiters? The timeframe is short, so the recruiter having a stronger sense of urgency would be appreciated, but would the recruiter be hesitant to work with someone in this situation? There must be someone out there that has gone through the same thing.

Anonymous User

Re: Let recruiter know of pending layoff?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:31 am

So sorry to hear that Op. You don't need to tell recruiters or anyone that until your time runs out. You should also try to negotiate with talent management regarding whether you can take an unpaid leave of absence to keep your website profile available to the public.

My experience:

1. I've used a few recruiters for selected positions with different firms in different regions that I have ties to. None of them got me an interview so far and they tend to be a lot less responsive after I sent them my resume. In addition, recruiters don't always have the most updated information, I once interviewed with a firm and knew the firm eventually hired someone else, but recruiters kept telling me that firm was still hiring.

2. On the other hand, I've got several interviews through cold emailing alums, I try to get coffee/lunch and then ask them to send my application materials to hiring committees. Much higher success rate.

My suggestions would be:

a) talk to as many recruiters as possible while your profile is on the website, act as if you are interested in learning more about the market, find out firms (both big and small) that are hiring, don't give out your resume or permission to send out your resume. Meanwhile, get your resume and deal sheet up to date.

b) contact as many alums (from law school, college, even your firm) as possible while your profile is on the website, preferably those in the same practice group, alums in other groups are usually not very helpful. Start with firms that are hiring your class, but touch base with every firm that has your practice group.

c) practice describing your responsibilities in your current position and why making a move for interviews.

d) good luck!

yuzu

Bronze

Postby yuzu » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:04 pm

It's not necessary, but I don't think telling an independent recruiter about the layoff would be a bad thing. The recruiter is paid to place people at firms, and the fact that you would likely be willing to accept any offer, and not just an offer at a firm you like better, increases the recruiter's chance of getting paid. Also, the risk that you might soon take another job outside of the recruiter (e.g. with government) would encourage the recruiter to try and speed up the search process.

I don't think the recruiter would consider you "damaged goods" or anything, especially since the recruiter doesn't need to tell firms about the layoff.

But in general, I see limited value in using recruiters: you can get similar results just by applying yourself.

jarofsoup

Gold

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:50 pm

Tell the head hunter. You need to be much more aggressive and food the market. If you have a deadline they need to know.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:22 pm

Don't tell the recruiter. They would be obligated to tell the firms that you are applying to.

synergy

New

Postby synergy » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So sorry to hear that Op. You don't need to tell recruiters or anyone that until your time runs out. You should also try to negotiate with talent management regarding whether you can take an unpaid leave of absence to keep your website profile available to the public.

My experience:

1. I've used a few recruiters for selected positions with different firms in different regions that I have ties to. None of them got me an interview so far and they tend to be a lot less responsive after I sent them my resume. In addition, recruiters don't always have the most updated information, I once interviewed with a firm and knew the firm eventually hired someone else, but recruiters kept telling me that firm was still hiring.

2. On the other hand, I've got several interviews through cold emailing alums, I try to get coffee/lunch and then ask them to send my application materials to hiring committees. Much higher success rate.

My suggestions would be:

a) talk to as many recruiters as possible while your profile is on the website, act as if you are interested in learning more about the market, find out firms (both big and small) that are hiring, don't give out your resume or permission to send out your resume. Meanwhile, get your resume and deal sheet up to date.

b) contact as many alums (from law school, college, even your firm) as possible while your profile is on the website, preferably those in the same practice group, alums in other groups are usually not very helpful. Start with firms that are hiring your class, but touch base with every firm that has your practice group.

c) practice describing your responsibilities in your current position and why making a move for interviews.

d) good luck!

I'd love to hear your thoughts about cold emailing alums when there is a job posted on the website. It seems that you are in favor of doing so? I've been tempted many times to try that but I always felt that sort of email is too blatant in why I'm asking to meet. Do you make reference to that fact in the email?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:59 pm

synergy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So sorry to hear that Op. You don't need to tell recruiters or anyone that until your time runs out. You should also try to negotiate with talent management regarding whether you can take an unpaid leave of absence to keep your website profile available to the public.

My experience:

My suggestions would be:

d) good luck!

I'd love to hear your thoughts about cold emailing alums when there is a job posted on the website. It seems that you are in favor of doing so? I've been tempted many times to try that but I always felt that sort of email is too blatant in why I'm asking to meet. Do you make reference to that fact in the email?

Quoted anon here. I usually just send an email with a subject "__(school) Alum Coffee Invite" and say something along the line of "I am a __ year __ (practice group) associate with __ (firm). I was recently informed that your group is looking for candidates with my background. I'm very interested in the position and I'd love to know more about the work you do and your office culture. Please let me know if you have time for coffee or lunch."
In my experience, people are very willing to help, I actually got a few free lunch out of this. I've also talked to lawyers who aren't alums and some of-counsel, who usually have more experience and give better career advice in general. Don't be afraid, invite them out.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Don't tell the recruiter. They would be obligated to tell the firms that you are applying to.

Why do you think this is true?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:32 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Don't tell the recruiter. They would be obligated to tell the firms that you are applying to.

Ya, not sure why there would be an obligation to do this. If it were a retained search (i.e. executive search), then yes, there probably would be an obligation to tell your client that the person was being laid off. But in the legal recruiter context, I dont see how the recruiter would have any obligation to disclose this info (particularly before it happens).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:34 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:

I've been told this is the case from numerous recruiters. They are contractually obligated to disclose any such things.

The misconception is that recruiters are working for you and on your side, when in fact they are essentially working for the firm by placing candidates. All the obligations are firm favored, as opposed to attorney favored.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:

I've been told this is the case from numerous recruiters. They are contractually obligated to disclose any such things.

The misconception is that recruiters are working for you and on your side, when in fact they are essentially working for the firm by placing candidates. All the obligations are firm favored, as opposed to attorney favored.

They certainly work for the firm. That doesn't mean they have to disclose everything you say to the firm. It's not in the recruiter's personal interest to do so here, considering it makes you a less appealing candidate and the recruiter only gets paid if you get hired.

rdawkins28

Bronze

Postby rdawkins28 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:50 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:

Not the Anonymous above, but I think typically, the recruiter gets paid by the company. I've heard that it's about 25% of first year salary though I could be mistaken. So I'm guessing the recruiter might owe some duties to the company. I could be completely wrong.

jarofsoup

Gold

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:32 pm

The recruiter owes no duty to the company. Their job is to place you and get a commission.

Return to “Legal Employment�