2L summer ideas?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

2L summer ideas?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:27 pm

T25, top third, KJD, struck out at OCI. Mass mailed and networked hard through the end of Christmas break and no luck. Grades from 2L Fall were mediocre and GPA fell to slightly below top third. My goal from the minute I started studying for the LSAT was to land big law, and now I've accepted that a firm job isn't going to happen.

I'm pretty apathetic toward this semester and don't really want to be a lawyer anymore. I'll finish it out because I have a full scholarship and no debt, generally enjoy school more than the "real world," and have some things I would still like to do in law school (e.g. certain externships, clinics, study abroad, etc.). But I've basically accepted that I'm not going to be a lawyer, and am not sure what I should do over the summer. How quickly do I need to line something up? I've thought about taking the semester to figure out what I really want to pursue, work part-time for the school or a professor over the summer, and take the GRE and apply to grad schools/MBA/other jobs.

Does anyone have any suggestions for things I should look into? Or is it basically down to 1L-ish jobs for this summer, i.e. unpaid government agencies and non-profits?

Just pretty lost at this point.

umichman

Bronze

Re: 2L summer ideas?

Postby umichman » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:T25, top third, KJD, struck out at OCI. Mass mailed and networked hard through the end of Christmas break and no luck. Grades from 2L Fall were mediocre and GPA fell to slightly below top third. My goal from the minute I started studying for the LSAT was to land big law, and now I've accepted that a firm job isn't going to happen.

I'm pretty apathetic toward this semester and don't really want to be a lawyer anymore. I'll finish it out because I have a full scholarship and no debt, generally enjoy school more than the "real world," and have some things I would still like to do in law school (e.g. certain externships, clinics, study abroad, etc.). But I've basically accepted that I'm not going to be a lawyer, and am not sure what I should do over the summer. How quickly do I need to line something up? I've thought about taking the semester to figure out what I really want to pursue, work part-time for the school or a professor over the summer, and take the GRE and apply to grad schools/MBA/other jobs.

Does anyone have any suggestions for things I should look into? Or is it basically down to 1L-ish jobs for this summer, i.e. unpaid government agencies and non-profits?

If you don't want to be a lawyer that's fine. But you still have a shot at big law or another law firm. Smaller firms hire later into the year and some big law firms might take a look at you still. Its not even Feb. yet. I would not give up on working at a big or mid size law firm. Reach out to Alumni at firms where you want to work. Its too early to give up.

But again, if you don't want to be a lawyer, that's fine too. Unfortunately, i dont have advice for other career paths.

Civilservant

New

Postby Civilservant » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:11 pm

I don't mean to be harsh, but I think you need to adjust your attitude a bit. I remember getting discouraged like this in law school, mainly because it is a bubble. Perhaps the boat has sailed on being locked in on a scale paying large firm, but you may still be able to hustle your way I to that kind of job.

It is rather self defeating to throw up your hands, say you aren't going to be an attorney, and then hide in another grad school bubble for a few more years, until you don't reach your expectations again. I think you should broaden your scope, disabuse yourself of the prestige sweepstakes, and try to find a career path in law that is your own.

There are plenty of small firms, trial courts, non profits, and even government agencies that have openings for clerks that is completely off cycle from big law. Hustling puts bread on the table, self pity doesnt.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:17 pm

Civilservant wrote:I don't mean to be harsh, but I think you need to adjust your attitude a bit. I remember getting discouraged like this in law school, mainly because it is a bubble. Perhaps the boat has sailed on being locked in on a scale paying large firm, but you may still be able to hustle your way I to that kind of job.

It is rather self defeating to throw up your hands, say you aren't going to be an attorney, and then hide in another grad school bubble for a few more years, until you don't reach your expectations again. I think you should broaden your scope, disabuse yourself of the prestige sweepstakes, and try to find a career path in law that is your own.

There are plenty of small firms, trial courts, non profits, and even government agencies that have openings for clerks that is completely off cycle from big law. Hustling puts bread on the table, self pity doesnt.

I can appreciate and understand the advice, but I came to law school for a big/midsize firm and nothing else. I don't want a small firm or trial court or non profit job where I could make just as much bartending. I'm not looking to "hide in another grad school bubble," I'm willing to be proactive and hustle and do whatever it takes.

Blackfish

New

Postby Blackfish » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:22 pm

Last edited by Blackfish on Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1styearlateral

Silver

Postby 1styearlateral » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:24 pm

This is laughable. Most people strike out at OCI, but 90% of attorneys work in private practice. You'll get a job somewhere that's not shitlaw I'm sure of it if you can work on your attitude and twisted view of entitlement.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:32 pm

You and I sound like we are a lot alike--I'm at a T25 (I wonder if we're at the same place), 2L, and on a full scholarship. I initially went into law school really with the idea of biglaw/midlaw (let me say I really had no idea what that entailed) but have been disillusioned after speaking with BL lawyer after BL lawyer. Basically, I've realized it's not the path that would make me happy. I've been open-minded about other opportunities whether it's working for the government or at a small firm. I think small firms can provide you with opportunities to get some interesting, hands-on work that you might not get at a big law firm. After speaking with plenty of small firm lawyers as well, they seem to be doing just fine in the money-making department. Of course, they aren't making biglaw bucks but it doesn't sound like you need to if you've got a full scholarship. Small firms can pay a comfortable salary too. If you have really decided that being a lawyer isn't for you then start doing some research on other opportunities for people with law degrees who don't want to practice after law school and begin building connections in those areas.

You might consider using this 2L summer as an opportunity to find a different, unique type of internship? I know people at my school interned at firms for different types of things like Legal R&D, Legal Project Management, etc. I have kind of no idea how difficult those are to come by, but it's something to consider. If you can, try reaching out to more firms looking for summer help. If you can't land any firm job, you can spin your experience this summer as a positive for any jobs you apply for post-graduation.

Good luck, your path to success isn't as treacherous as it seems.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:T25, top third, KJD, struck out at OCI. Mass mailed and networked hard through the end of Christmas break and no luck. Grades from 2L Fall were mediocre and GPA fell to slightly below top third. My goal from the minute I started studying for the LSAT was to land big law, and now I've accepted that a firm job isn't going to happen.

How do you know if you like law school more than the "real world" if you're a K-JD?

As others have said, you still have a shot at big law and you absolutely can still find a job, so long as after your soul searching you determine you still want to be a lawyer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:28 pm

Apply to Accenture. Deadline for your school is coming up soon. Take the gmat, 3/4 of the 2018 jd/mbas got biglaw and had worse grades than you.

You can drop out(of the mba program) if you don't get interviews over the summer.

Return to “Legal Employment�